Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-23-2022, 12:32 PM

Your favorite disc brake pads

Looking for something with more bite and power on my SRAM setup. They're the "winged" pads, if that makes a difference.

I got some Discobrakes kevlar pads upon recommendation from someone, and they're not confidence inspiring. While initial bite is smooth, I feel like using 90% of its braking ability on fairly mild descents (~40 mph). The OE SRAM organics had better bite and power.
Old 01-23-2022, 12:39 PM

Truckerco. Sintered metallic on my MTBs, organic semi-metallic on my gravel and road bikes. Real cheap on ebay.

https://www.truckerco.com/pad-compounds-about
Old 01-23-2022, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rice rocket View Post
Looking for something with more bite and power on my SRAM setup. They're the "winged" pads, if that makes a difference.

I got some Discobrakes kevlar pads upon recommendation from someone, and they're not confidence inspiring. While initial bite is smooth, I feel like using 90% of its braking ability on fairly mild descents (~40 mph). The OE SRAM organics had better bite and power.
Hope RX4 calipers will give you more bite for you bike. And a lot more than a pad switch would. In fact, I have never noticed a performance difference using different pads.I guess there is some modulation difference between resin and metal pads, but not much and nothing to do with stopping improvement.
Old 01-23-2022, 12:58 PM

Quote:

Swissstop. https://www.swissstop.ch/brakepads/d...isc35/disc-rs/
Old 01-23-2022, 01:36 PM
SageOfMilwaukee

2nd for Trucker Co.
Old 01-23-2022, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
Hope RX4 calipers will give you more bite for you bike. And a lot more than a pad switch would. In fact, I have never noticed a performance difference using different pads.I guess there is some modulation difference between resin and metal pads, but not much and nothing to do with stopping improvement.
There's a fairly lengthy thread on WW about the RX4s, they seem to be a total basketcase for the SRAM setups, leaking calipers, sticking pistons, and proprietary pads, which is unfortunate.
Old 01-23-2022, 02:19 PM

Quote:
There's a fairly lengthy thread on WW about the RX4s, they seem to be a total basketcase for the SRAM setups, leaking calipers, sticking pistons, and proprietary pads, which is unfortunate.
Mine have been flawless, as have the (3 at last count) of my cohort who are running them (anecdotes != data).

For pads I really like these: https://galferusa.com/bike/products?...ope&vmodel=rx4

PRO compound up front, standard in the rear. Currently have that setup on 3 bikes (2 MTB, 1 gravel), Hope V4, Hope RX4+, Hayes T2 calipers.
Old 01-23-2022, 02:25 PM

Quote:
I never had a problem with them. I’ve setup two gravel bikes with different pairs. A couple of friends have them on their gravel bikes and they have no issues either. They are good wrenches. I have read about people having issues I chalk it up to poor installation issues. Could be wrong but I really enjoy mine.
Old 01-23-2022, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
I never had a problem with them. I’ve setup two gravel bikes with different pairs. A couple of friends have them on their gravel bikes and they have no issues either. They are good wrenches. I have read about people having issues I chalk it up to poor installation issues. Could be wrong but I really enjoy mine.

I’m been one of the main contributors to that thread. From day 1 I’ve had nothing but issues. I want them to work so badly!

Mine came on a custom bike build, and a mech that has the same caliper on his personal bike install them.

I ordered one more set (+20mm direct mount) and will have another pro mech install them as a last ditch effort.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-23-2022, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djg21 View Post
+1 Use the RS compound on my Red eTap brakes. Much quieter than stock and a small but noticeable increase in braking power. I've also had great luck with their standard organic compound on Shimano systems.

Joosttx is right, it's a bit extreme but different calipers are going to make the most difference in raw performance.

Another option are SRAM's new HS2 rotors. They're slightly thicker and the claim is 7% more power. I just put a set on my MTB and they feel similar to going up a rotor size. That extra material means they're heavy, but less prone to warping. If you are already experience pad clearance issues, then skip it.
Old 01-24-2022, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thermalattorney View Post
+1 Use the RS compound on my Red eTap brakes. Much quieter than stock and a small but noticeable increase in braking power. I've also had great luck with their standard organic compound on Shimano systems.

Joosttx is right, it's a bit extreme but different calipers are going to make the most difference in raw performance.

Another option are SRAM's new HS2 rotors. They're slightly thicker and the claim is 7% more power. I just put a set on my MTB and they feel similar to going up a rotor size. That extra material means they're heavy, but less prone to warping. If you are already experience pad clearance issues, then skip it.

Unfortunately there are not that many players for hydro calipers. Hope, Magura (MTB specific?). All the others are cable actuated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-24-2022, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Glad that didn’t happen to me. Haven’t touched them once since install and they are significantly better than the sram calipers.
Old 01-25-2022, 09:08 PM

That's good to know.

many_styles, please keep us updated!

In the meantime, I've ordered the Galfer pads first, I've had good experience with their motorcycle stuff, here's to hoping they carry similar philosophies for their bicycle pads. The Swisstops and Truckercos are on deck, I found some opinions about the Jagwire and MTX brakes too.
Old 01-26-2022, 12:19 PM

Kogel

Interesting new contender from bearing producer Kogel

https://www.kogel.cc/collections/dis...221fa#products

Quote:
Kogel Brake Pads also feature our Ceramic Barrier to keep the heat in your pads and out of the pistons so your brakes stay responsive for the entire ride.
No heat sink, but apparently the ceramic barrier is good enough.