Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-06-2022, 11:52 AM

Campagnolo: what do you want them to do?

I want them to have a yard sale and only invite me.
That's all.

or....some little things:
1. Approve Shimano/SRAM cassette spacers for Campy 9-sp and 10-sp. I could then use those wider cassettes and climb on my Record 9 and Centaur 10's.
(I have one Centaur 10 triple, but it's just so....triple. People laugh and point).

2. Ergo and Ergo II mod for smoother button action going down-cassette.

3. Keep the cable kits. Especially in red. Excellent values.

4. Ship 2 wave washers and ring clips with UT. I lose at least one each time...

5. Keep the wheels and Fulcrum cross-pollination. Excellent values. I keep one each of the Fulcrum freehub adapters. Bullets on Shimano, Bullets on Campagnolo, about 15-20 minute swap.

6. Big ask....more Eurus G3's in silver. I like glittery spokes.

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 09-06-2022 at 11:54 AM.
Old 09-06-2022, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rain dogs View Post
If I was in charge at Campagnolo, I wouldn't make throw-back groups either.
Me, either. This is 11-speed C-Record. Those pedals are horrible.
Old 09-06-2022, 05:39 PM

They should start a Pasta brand, complete with custom shapes like wheels, quick releases, sprockets, etc. Even better, make the sauce as well: straight from Mr. Campagnolo's cantina to your dinner table. They could sell the sauce in old school Campy grease tubs.
Old 09-06-2022, 09:51 PM

I know the guy that owns that bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes View Post
Me, either. This is 11-speed C-Record. Those pedals are horrible.
Old 09-06-2022, 10:48 PM

Sub compact UT crank - 46/30 would be great
Old 09-06-2022, 11:05 PM

At this point...increased market share would be nice

So little out there, it's sad
Old 09-06-2022, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy340 View Post
Sub compact UT crank - 46/30 would be great
+ yeah
Old 09-07-2022, 07:23 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmeishmael View Post
I wasn't talking about wheelsets (perhaps wrongly, I thought the conversation here was largely about groupsets), and I've never moaned about their prices.

As I've said repeatedly, I'm a longtime Campag fan, and want to see them do well. Saying what you'd like to see from them isn't bashing them.
Didn't think you were 'bashing' them or their prices. Just mentioning that Campagnolo hasn't sat idly by as the other 2 's' brands do all the 'innovation'. If anything, sram seems to be the follower. Yup, etap is doing well, but shimano started the electronic drivetrain gig. And sram has always been all about shimano compatibility...cranks, corset wise. Until XDR, that is.
Old 09-07-2022, 07:28 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by vespasianus View Post
I think Campag needs to have something additional to justify the price of Record and Super Record. A built in power meter should be standard on the higher end groupsets.

Centaur is actually a really good groupset but I don't know why anyone would buy that over a Shimano 105 - unless there is no other mechanical option for 11 speed - which might be the case.

They also need to make Chorus and Record have the EKAR thumb lever but with multiple gear options.

And invest in quality. If you spend the premium on Campagnolo, it should not be a headache.
It's about materials(and no, I'm not saying titanium and carbon is any 'answer'). Ya know DA is on par with Record, $ wise yet really has nothing but lots of aluminum. Not sure why DA is so expensive, considering materials.

Centaur is a competitor for ultregra, not 105.

Pretty sure that thumb button will convey to 11s and 12s levers but nobody will send me a RH EKAR lever so I can take it apart to see.

Don't get the 'headache' part....Certainly haven't been any cranks explode like some shimano(DA) ones.

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 09-08-2022 at 06:19 AM.
Old 09-08-2022, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
It's about materials(and no, I'm not saying titanium and carbon is any 'answer'). Ya know DA is on par with Record, $ wise) yet really has nothing but lots of aluminum. Not sure why DA is so expensive, considering materials.

Centaur is a competitor for ultregra, not 105.

Pretty sure that thumb button will convey to 11s and 12s levers but nobody will send me a RH EKAR lever so I can take it apart to see.

Don't get the 'headache' part....Certainly haven't been any cranks explode like some shimano(DA) ones.
DA might be more comparable with Record but DA is lighter and more common. Campag needs to differentiate itself. Looking the same, weighing the same is not enough. They need more.

Before Potenza was killed, it was the competitor for Ultegra and Centaur was the 105 competitor. Now it is the Ultegra competitor?

I actually have a centaur set on my old Tommasini and love it. Very nice but much more like 105 than Ultegra - let alone di2 Ultegra.

I love the thumb button on EKAR, and on Centaur for that matter. Much better than on my H11 shifters. EKARs shifting and the 13 speed system work really, really well. I really wanted to use Chorus 12 speed on my Gravel bike but I am so glad did EKAR instead.

The headache comes from my thinking that moving to a Campag system should be as simple and as straightforward as possible. I would go further and make the free hub be able to take Shimano cassettes. I would love to see Shimano people buy Campag cassettes to use on their systems because they are better.
Old 09-08-2022, 06:27 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by vespasianus View Post
DA might be more comparable with Record but DA is lighter and more common. Campag needs to differentiate itself. Looking the same, weighing the same is not enough. They need more.

Before Potenza was killed, it was the competitor for Ultegra and Centaur was the 105 competitor. Now it is the Ultegra competitor?

I actually have a centaur set on my old Tommasini and love it. Very nice but much more like 105 than Ultegra - let alone di2 Ultegra.

I love the thumb button on EKAR, and on Centaur for that matter. Much better than on my H11 shifters. EKARs shifting and the 13 speed system work really, really well. I really wanted to use Chorus 12 speed on my Gravel bike but I am so glad did EKAR instead.

The headache comes from my thinking that moving to a Campag system should be as simple and as straightforward as possible. I would go further and make the free hub be able to take Shimano cassettes. I would love to see Shimano people buy Campag cassettes to use on their systems because they are better.
I guess..I think having the top 3 groups identical in terms of function and then differentiate via materials works, but IMHO. Also nice that small bits, like hoods and brake block holders, barrel adjusters convery between the 3 groups..DA, ultegra, 105, not really.

Really hard to 'compare' groups between makers. SR is a step above, Record then Chorus. DA is more like Chorus in terms of materials, Centaur like Ultegra, in terms of price. There 'seems to be a BIG gap between DA and Ultegra, both in terms of fit and finish and BIG difference in price. Which is surprising considering materials.

Valentino was once asked about cogsets that fit onto shimano FHBs and he said Campagnolo makes a full range for their free hub bodies, and their aluminum deep spline design was better, and I agree. No steel free hub bodies for Campag and no uber expensive titanium either.
Old 09-09-2022, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msriddle View Post
They already have that. It’s called Fulcrum Speed 25, it’s even wider than wto. Modern day Hyperon.
Sorry, disk only.
Precisely
Old 09-10-2022, 07:50 AM
50 bpm

We just built a Colnago with SR EPS. Oh. My. God.

Campagnolo, please do nothing different.
Old 09-10-2022, 08:24 AM

Interesting. I love the look of SR EPS, but found the ergonomics slightly inferior to the mechanical in some ways, and thought Di2 shifting edged it (more than edged it up front). But it is a beautiful thing; no one makes anything that's in the same class, aesthetically.