Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-29-2024, 02:56 PM

New Cervelo Aspero

While browsing the 'Tube at lunch today I saw a video for a new Cervelo Aspero from a dealer out in California. Highlights were a bit more tire clearance, a bit longer chainstay, and Soloist style cable management (under the stem into the spacers) on the non-5 model. Looked around for some more info and found none, then went back to look for the video and it was gone. I suspect they accidentally listed the video when they uploaded it rather than just prepping it to be released with the bike date, and since corrected it. I'm a bit surprised Cervelo didn't release the bike at Sea Otter or BWR, but something is coming.

Last edited by tootall; 04-29-2024 at 03:04 PM.
Old 04-29-2024, 08:04 PM

You can find more speculation on Weight Weenies.
Old 04-30-2024, 02:37 AM

Cervelo IG tease - https://www.instagram.com/reel/C6YGA...c5YWs4ZHF6eTdh
Old 04-30-2024, 05:24 AM

https://www.cervelo.com/en-US/bikes/aspero

Released.

The šŸšØ new Ɓspero is here.

Its silhouette is a little slimmer: thereā€™s clearance for up to 45mm tires, and we made room for bigger chainrings. 1x is now 46T or 52/36ā€”if youā€™re into doubles.

The chainstays are a touch longer and the geometry? Updated. Ɓspero is speed-focused with a taste for adventure (think fast and comfy).

You get a T47A bottom bracket and UDH compatibility this time around, too, and three new colors: Sea Ice, Peaches and Cream, and the gorgeous Woodsmoke.
Old 04-30-2024, 06:04 AM

I like the T47 upgrade and room to fit bigger chain rings (I plan to eventually swap to a 50/34 and that's a tight fit from what I gather). I guess the internal cable routing is OK too, it looks nice.

The rest, meh. Seems like they softened it up, part of the appeal of the first one to me is that it was like the same geometry as the R3 but fit 40's. Glad I got my last year model on SUPER clearance!

Last edited by sasquatch16v; 04-30-2024 at 06:15 AM.
Old 04-30-2024, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasquatch16v View Post
I like the T47 upgrade and room to fit bigger chain rings (I plan to eventually swap to a 50/34 and that's a tight fit from what I gather). I guess the internal cable routing is OK too, it looks nice.

The rest, meh. Glad I got my last year model on SUPER clearance!
I ran a 50/34 crank with 11-36 cassette and a power meter crank arm on the NDS all without issues on my Aspero.
Old 04-30-2024, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle h View Post
I ran a 50/34 crank with 11-36 cassette and a power meter crank arm on the NDS all without issues on my Aspero.
This is excellent news!
Old 04-30-2024, 07:36 AM

Does the Aspero (and similar Cervelos) require the use of a proprietary Cervelo stem?
Old 04-30-2024, 07:51 AM

It looks like only the Aspero has been updated on this release, not the Aspero 5 also? I didn't realize that from the leaked video I saw on Monday. Makes me think another release is coming for an updated Aspero 5.
Old 04-30-2024, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philster View Post
Does the Aspero (and similar Cervelos) require the use of a proprietary Cervelo stem?
The only model that truly requires a truly proprietary stem is the S5. The R5, Caledonia 5 and Aspero 5 use a Cervelo stem that the brake hoses run through, but you can use a "regular" stem as long as it's hollow and you can get the hoses through it, it will bolt up to the handlebars and steer tube just fine. The Soloist and the new Aspero (non-5) use a Cervelo stem that the hoses run underneath and they have a special bolt-on hose clip to manage the routing, but you could use a "regular" stem without the clip. The non-5 versions of the Caledonia and old Aspero use regular stems with no special hose/cable routing/management.
Old 04-30-2024, 08:21 AM

https://bikerumor.com/2024-cervelo-a...-bike-updates/
Old 04-30-2024, 09:42 AM
Meh

What does BBright T47a mean? Different cups on each side?

Not that Iā€™d ever consider this bike, another one falls victim to headset routing, but Iā€™m curious what is up with yet another BB ā€œstandard.ā€
Old 04-30-2024, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tootall View Post
The only model that truly requires a truly proprietary stem is the S5. The R5, Caledonia 5 and Aspero 5 use a Cervelo stem that the brake hoses run through, but you can use a "regular" stem as long as it's hollow and you can get the hoses through it, it will bolt up to the handlebars and steer tube just fine. The Soloist and the new Aspero (non-5) use a Cervelo stem that the hoses run underneath and they have a special bolt-on hose clip to manage the routing, but you could use a "regular" stem without the clip. The non-5 versions of the Caledonia and old Aspero use regular stems with no special hose/cable routing/management.
Thanks for this! Somehow, I got the idea that the steerer tube's shape required a special stem.
Old 04-30-2024, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EB View Post
What does BBright T47a mean? Different cups on each side?

Not that Iā€™d ever consider this bike, another one falls victim to headset routing, but Iā€™m curious what is up with yet another BB ā€œstandard.ā€
Yeah, it's an outboard t47 on one side and an inboard t47 on the other side.

Old 04-30-2024, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philster View Post
Thanks for this! Somehow, I got the idea that the steerer tube's shape required a special stem.
Well, it's good thing it doesn't require a special stem. The Cervelo ST36 stem (the one with the bolt-on clip for hose routing for the Soloist and new Aspero) is available in only one angle and a limited number of lengths - which is almost moot, as it has been virtually unobtainium the last year or two. Now that it is the "standard" stem on more than one bike will actually be available to buy.