Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-12-2019, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
i dont understand how this could be? with the year NYC has had with cyclists, how does a guy who blows a red light and kills a cyclist get released with no charges?

it just doesnt sound right.
It sounds right if he has ANY connection to a cop
Old 08-12-2019, 11:35 AM
aka RAEKWON

I don't have words for this ****
Old 08-12-2019, 11:39 AM
head to toe Assos

[QUOTE=yinzerniner;2578742]Look at this bullsh*t by the Post:
https://nypost.com/2019/08/11/horrif...t-in-brooklyn/

They show a video which obscures the lights AND the latter part of the impact, all while attaching "allegedly" TWICE when it's clear as day that the driver blew through a solid red light that can be clearly seen to be in effect for a long time before the car reached the intersection. The driver of the silver dodge had roughly 150' to reach, and instead blew right through.

Disgusting.[/QUOTE

That's because the NY Post is the great defender of the NYPD and the great hater of the cyclist in NYC.
Old 08-12-2019, 11:41 AM
head to toe Assos

At least they can't say he wasn't wearing a helmet.
Oh wait, does the bike have a front brake?
Oh, I see it now. The cyclist is stopped between the solid white line and the crosswalk. Here is your ticket sir.
And the Post will say that if he had been behind the line he would still be alive.
So no harm done.

Last edited by johnmdesigner; 08-12-2019 at 12:03 PM.
Old 08-12-2019, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmdesigner View Post
That's because the NY Post is the great defender of the NYPD and the great hater of the cyclist in NYC.
I don't think that's true -- the Post recently hired David Meyer from Streetsblog.

https://nypost.com/author/david-meyer/
Old 08-12-2019, 02:25 PM
head to toe Assos

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiamme red View Post
I don't think that's true -- the Post recently hired David Meyer from Streetsblog.

https://nypost.com/author/david-meyer/
I am referring to their editorial staff.
Please stop by a few times a week and read it. Know thy enemy.
Old 08-12-2019, 02:36 PM

That is incredibly ridiculous that they say "Allegedly" ran the red light... I know that website is incredibly biased but it's beyond ridiculous.

They're not the court.. they don't have to try and be fair to the driver when the evidence is so overwhelming.

He had to be driving REALLY fast to send the Honda flying that far. My wife had a T-bone accident like that.. both cars doing the speed limit and neither car flew anywhere near that far.

That Odyssey flew further than me when I got T-boned on my bike by a GMC Sierra! It's not even sliding, it's airborne! Those things weigh 4300-4500lbs!

RIP for the cyclist and hopefully a full recovery for the pedestrian.

Last edited by benb; 08-12-2019 at 02:40 PM.
Old 08-12-2019, 03:16 PM
head to toe Assos

CBS NY also aired the same edited video last night with the same "we don't know how this happened" commentary.
They did the same thing a few days earlier when an FDNY EMS "t" boned another at an intersection because the drivers were both speeding like idiots. "The brave injured responders were taken to hospital". No comment on the reckless driving.
Old 08-12-2019, 03:59 PM

I would hope an accident reconstruction expert would be able to testify in court that the guy had to be doing 80 in a 35 or something to launch a Minivan so far so they can throw the book at the driver in the car.

I'd imagine it's going to come out he's a habitual speeder or street racer or something.

I feel like the guy driving the dodge would probably be getting a greater penalty if the cyclist and pedestrian had not been there. Then he'd be getting judged for hurting another motorist and everyone would think this was worse. It's almost like the death of the cyclist makes public opinion think the transgression is less serious.
Old 08-12-2019, 04:27 PM
Tired Member

^ In order for that to happen, the NYPD has to charge the driver with something. It's hard to imagine that he's not going to be charged, but it's not like the NYPD is a team of wizards. They make crap decisions all the time.

If the driver isn't charged, he's almost guaranteed to get two civil suits against him and possibly three.

The good thing is that the corner where that happened does not have a lot of bike traffic. It's between Bedford and Ocean Pkwy, which are dedicated bike routes and would have had a lot of beach traffic yesterday. Despite how bad that accident was, it could have been a lot worse.
Old 08-13-2019, 07:44 PM

Collect information about speeding during emergency responses, and the outcomes of the emergencies and science that sh*t.

Golf carts are speed limited for a reason.
Old 08-15-2019, 09:16 AM
Tired Member

https://www.bicycling.com/news/a2863...ork-city-sign/
Old 08-15-2019, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
That is incredibly ridiculous that they say "Allegedly" ran the red light... I know that website is incredibly biased but it's beyond ridiculous.

They're not the court.. they don't have to try and be fair to the driver when the evidence is so overwhelming.
They do actually. Until the driver is convicted in court, what's being charged are merely allegations. Until he's convicted of the crime, he allegedly did X, Y, or Z, no matter how obvious and overwhelming the evidence may be.

So yeah, he allegedly ran the sign.
Old 08-15-2019, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
They do actually. Until the driver is convicted in court, what's being charged are merely allegations. Until he's convicted of the crime, he allegedly did X, Y, or Z, no matter how obvious and overwhelming the evidence may be.

They didn't need to edit the video tho.

You also don't need to say 'allegedly if you just reference the video.
Old 08-15-2019, 09:34 AM
Tired Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post

I think the DA would like to have an easy case, too. They want to be sure that a jury wouldn't be persuaded that the car had some mechanical problem that could absolve the alleged perpetrator of the crime.