Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-20-2019, 02:34 PM

Drop bar 29er or Rigid MTB?

I ride mostly fire roads in the Bay Area. Very little singletrack. It's mostly steep climbs and equally steep descents. Rutted fire roads. Anyone have experience with a drop bar 29er and a rigid MTB and can offer a comparison?

I'm guessing the drop bars would be better for climbing and flat bar better for descents, but I'd like to get input from the Forum. I can go either way on a build...

Thanks.
Old 09-20-2019, 02:42 PM

How tall are you?
Old 09-20-2019, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
How tall are you?
A hair over six feet.
Old 09-20-2019, 02:48 PM

I would get a cross country Hardtail race bike with a 100mm fork such as a Specialized epic.
Old 09-20-2019, 02:53 PM

Joost knows what he's talking about here.

You've also got that new gravel bike. A drop-bar 29er like a Cutthroat or whatever won't overlap that completely, but I think an XC hardtail expands your range a little more. I haven't found flatbars to be a detriment to climbing or long days in the saddle off road.
Old 09-20-2019, 02:56 PM
Administrator

how about something like the c'dale slate with a little travel in the front end and super wide flared cowchipper like drops?

also, when you say "drop bar 29'er" - is there a difference implied there from what others might consider "monster cross" ?
Old 09-20-2019, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
how about something like the c'dale slate with a little travel in the front end and super wide flared cowchipper like drops?

also, when you say "drop bar 29'er" - is there a difference implied there from what others might consider "monster cross" ?
No difference. I think those terms are interchangeable. I was envisioning running a more "nimble" set-up. Something like 2.25 F/R.
Old 09-20-2019, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post

Rumor is Cannondale created the Slate cuz the had a surplus of lefties . My buddy rides one which he likes. But I cannot tell more from what I have learned from smarter people than me get a XC Hardtail with 100-120mm travel fork. You will love it
Old 09-20-2019, 03:10 PM

Rigid MTB

A hardtail 29er is all you need in Marin. However I have been riding all rigid for most of the summer around Marin. I tend to stay north side of Tam: rock springs, rocky ridge, Bolinas ridge, SG ridge, Pine, Loma Alta, Big Rock, etc.

I have a Peira set up with drop bar and a Dekerf set up with flat. On mellow fire roads on the south side of tam, both are equally adequate. On the steeper downs like Pine or Repack, however, I find my self really needing the flat bar. Staying in the drops put too much weight forward and limits your ability to shift your weight back. I have rigid posts on both bikes and imagines a dropper might help. Being an ex cat 2 roadie, I do prefer climbing out of saddle on the hoods better than flat bar, however.

Being older now, I also find rides over three hours on the rigid jarring. Last weekend I did Pine & Tamo on the Dekerf and towards the end was wishing to be on the Epic instead.

Good luck!

Last edited by MarinRider; 09-20-2019 at 03:50 PM.
Old 09-20-2019, 03:31 PM

Quote:
I would get a cross country Hardtail race bike with a 100mm fork such as a Specialized epic.
Santa Cruz Highball 29er is a nice xc hardtail too. Quick, comfortable, does mellow trails nicely.

Instagram
Old 09-20-2019, 04:27 PM

I have a fully rigid MTB, and it's fine for most of the stuff around here that I ride, if any of the trails you plan on riding allow cows grazing in the winter (like Briones), you're better off with suspension, even if they're just fire roads.
Old 09-20-2019, 04:50 PM

Quote:
That's what I'd suggest too if you REALLY are only riding the dirt (ie, not doing long pavement transfers)

Also second the fully if you're stuck in the east bay riding cow blasted crap. Although personally I hate that garbage and would rather ride roads than east bay dirt - it is pretty miserable even on a fully.
Old 09-20-2019, 04:50 PM
Meh

FWIW I have been absolutely loving riding dirt around Marin on a Ti hardtail with a 120mm Fox34, 2.2 Ikons, and a 150mm dropper. It can also do other things like the Tahoe Trail 100 pretty damn well too. I'd miss the suspension travel a lot if I didn't have it.

I also like gravel bikes around here but personally find them better suited when the route is > 60% paved and the off-roading isn't going to include +/- 15% dry, loose, sketchy rutted grades. And the latter is kind of hard to find in Marin. YMMV.
Old 09-20-2019, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli Bingham View Post
FWIW I have been absolutely loving riding dirt around Marin on a Ti hardtail with a 120mm Fox34, 2.2 Ikons, and a 150mm dropper. It can also do other things like the Tahoe Trail 100 pretty damn well too. I'd miss the suspension travel a lot if I didn't have it.

I also like gravel bikes around here but personally find them better suited when the route is > 60% paved and the off-roading isn't going to include +/- 15% dry, loose, sketchy rutted grades. And the latter is kind of hard to find in Marin. YMMV.

This is interesting. I see your point, and I agree. To some extent, I think I fell sway to the marketing hype of the "unicorn gravel bikes." I'm sure if I road a gravel bike with 40c tires and drops, versus a flat bar hardtail with 2.25s over rutted and steep fire roads, I'd prefer the latter.

There's some really good responses on this thread. I'm actually going to take Houston's advice on a 100mm travel hardtail. (I don't have any need for a full suss, nothing I ride requires it)
Old 09-20-2019, 05:22 PM

hardtail 29er with 120mm+ fork... you will appreciate the direction it takes your riding, improve your bike handling, and eventually seek out more trails. a wide flat bar hardtail is hard to beat. if you want a "gravel bike" you can always buy a cross check on craigslist.