Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-20-2019, 08:21 AM
Steel..what else??

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAAD View Post
That's helpful.....

I have been using Garmin computers for years. Sure some issues but Garmin always took care of it. Bike a rear tab during a rough gravel section. That edge 130 is a solid unit, simple to navigate the screens, connects to everything, good battery life. I would use the 130 full-time but I travel a lot with my bike and the round trip routing on my 1030 is where it's at.
Glad is working out for you.
When the battery goes you will need to line up and buy another one.
If that's what you like then go ahead.
I expect more than 2 years of service.
Papa always told me not to fight with my money.

Old 09-20-2019, 08:31 AM
slower than you

Speaking of Garmin, I started a thread a month or so ago about my 810 battery dying, and, instead of replacing the battery, as suggested here, I simply turned down the brightness of the screen to just tolerable in sunlight, and, voila, a much more longer lasting battery.
Old 09-20-2019, 08:37 AM

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing and expecting a different result.

A riding buddy is stuck in the Garmin walled garden: power pedals, radar, head unit. It's a weekly guessing game on which happens to be broken or not working at any one time.

You can't write "I hope you get it right this time!" on your money when you buy their stuff. Time to switch to something else.
Old 09-20-2019, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaska Mike View Post

Simple is better.
You must get a Wahoo if this is a mantra of yours.
Old 09-20-2019, 08:44 AM
Old, Fat & Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAAD View Post
That's helpful.....

I have been using Garmin computers for years. Sure some issues but Garmin always took care of it. Bike a rear tab during a rough gravel section. That edge 130 is a solid unit, simple to navigate the screens, connects to everything, good battery life. I would use the 130 full-time but I travel a lot with my bike and the round trip routing on my 1030 is where it's at.
...and I've been using Garmins for years and haven't had one problem. At the moment, I have a 130, a 220, a Fenix 3, and a 935. Guess I've drank the kool-aid. The only reason I've sold 2 500s, a 510, and a 520 is to upgrade to the next iteration.

I've got a 130 on the bike now. Does everything I want except workouts. If you have workouts loaded into your Garmin Connect account, they're useless with the 130.

M
Old 09-20-2019, 09:06 AM

biggest Garmin gripe for me is their "auto-upload" rarely works on my 520. and lots of times it won't connect to my phone, requiring me to un-pair, restart, and re-pair both devices. or it will be paired to the phone the entire ride, then won't upload the ride. infuriating. oh, and why the hell does it stay on the entire time it's charging? weird.

other than that, I've had no real issues with them. used the Edge 500, 800, 810, 520 and Forerunner 230.
Old 09-20-2019, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dan View Post
Glad is working out for you.
When the battery goes you will need to line up and buy another one.
If that's what you like then go ahead.
I expect more than 2 years of service.
Papa always told me not to fight with my money.

Just like the 1000 I took it apart and replaced the battery. 1030 battery is already available. Batteries die in every device, no way around it. I consider it maintenance. These devices get used for hours, drained, charged, repeat. That battery has to put up with a lot.
Old 09-20-2019, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiasticon View Post
biggest Garmin gripe for me is their "auto-upload" rarely works on my 520. and lots of times it won't connect to my phone, requiring me to un-pair, restart, and re-pair both devices. or it will be paired to the phone the entire ride, then won't upload the ride. infuriating. oh, and why the hell does it stay on the entire time it's charging? weird.

Why is Garmin the only company that can’t figure out BT and WiFi? It’s seriously infuriating!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-20-2019, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsciencenow View Post
Why is Garmin the only company that can’t figure out BT and WiFi? It’s seriously infuriating!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
truth.
Old 09-20-2019, 10:10 AM
Randomhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsciencenow View Post
my friend threatened to throw his 830 in the ditch because of the BT issues. Apparently they don't know how to deal with BT on iOS, because it has always just worked on my Android phone. But he figured out a workaround, which involved not trusting Garmin. I don't really understand how wifi is supposed to work on my device. I'm not sure it's worth it, I might just leave it off.
Old 09-20-2019, 10:30 AM

It seems computer choice has gone tribal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My blog and Instagram
Old 09-20-2019, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kohagen View Post
Wahoo supports the Varia. That was one of the selling points for me.
I have a 1030 and bought it before the newest wahoo unit came out. This said, I like the touch screen and the navigation on the 1030 too much to give it up. My comments were more based on my 1000 and family members with various other garmin units. The 1030 is a big improvement on the 1000 and other units I've used. I recently got a new iphone and it was a bit of a hassle to set it up but eventually I figured it out.

What's the draw for the Wahoo over the Lezyne? The Lezyne seems to have the same function minus the Varia integration.
Old 09-20-2019, 11:54 AM
Randomhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_moses View Post
It seems computer choice has gone tribal.
this would make more sense if a considerable percentage of Garmin users didn't hate them. My conclusion before I bought the garmin is that there are no good choices, so I went with what I know. I don't see anything wrong with that. The current Garmin lineup seems to be better than what Wahoo is offering. And I know a number of people personally that have had enough problems with their wahoo units that they have gone back to Garmin. The kind of problem that requires buying a new GPS. I have always been a little reluctant to have a gps at all, I don't want to have to replace it until it's really outdated. Garmin has always had some stupid things wrong with their firmware that they fail to address. I can live with that if the thing works, even though it's frustrating.
Old 09-20-2019, 12:30 PM

I brought out my Garmin for the TA century for the first time in over a year. It was critical for the mapping. Once I started the ride I opened the saved course, which took the damn thing nearly 9 minutes to 'calculate'. Then it promptly crashed, wiping out my ride thus far and forcing me to hard reset the device. It was 6AM and I was seriously not having a good morning. Took all the restraint I had not to chuck it at the first car that cut me off.

I would do anything for someone at Google to make a GMaps bike specific app. You could reflash old phones into perfectly capable GPS units. I cannot believe in 2019 we're stuck with godawful software that's barely any better than the earliest car GPS units and the computational horsepower of a TI-83.
Old 09-20-2019, 12:47 PM

Long time Garmin user.

Started with Edge 305 (remember those) and had to ship it back to Garmin twice during ownership because of battery issues. Add to that the middleware is absolutely abysmal

Upgraded to 500 and was pleasantly surprised. After about two years I had to ship it back also and am coming up on 2 years again and feel like I'm on borrowed time. They STILL haven't figured out API because I CONSTANTLY get asked to fix connection issues but whatever.

Bought a Fenix1 watch and sent it back to Garmin because it was malfunctioning. They were nice and sent me a Fenix2 but after about 6 months the thing wouldn't take a charge any longer so it's now an expensive paperweight......

I think as soon as my 500 craps the bed I'm done with Garmin forever. They really really really do suck.