Old 08-07-2005, 07:47 AM

Yo Climb

Bingo, you win!

turbo
Old 08-07-2005, 08:19 AM
Feel the Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climb01742
couldn't a bike be designed (or fitted) to a rider simply by knowing their 3 contact points, as defined by saddle height, saddle setback and reach? this would position a rider "in space" as it were, letting a fitter/builder create under the rider an appropriate frame. the important dimensions are the 3 floating in space?
climb-o

you the man

by the way- douglas- great read as always-

Jason
Old 08-07-2005, 09:14 AM
Dr. Doofus

round round round round round round round

just got back from 2 evil fast hours on the giordana drubbing some other local cat 4 bozos (ozone is "green," doof can breathe just fine, power just oozing out today...but promised mrs. doofus that the weeds would be wacked and the hedges clipped today...so no crit)...nelson sez that dario did the prototypes and refining what the production models would be on the giordanas...so even though they were built by billato, the round design makes 'em quasi-pegs in the doof's book...or at least their tacky cousins...man what a lively, fast bike...not light...flexy in a good way...but god this thing eats corners...it just wants to go faster through turns...the more you lean it, the more it wants to go....

must rob bank and get luigino

(and yes doof would take it into uscf frenzies)

Last edited by Dr. Doofus; 08-07-2005 at 09:49 AM. Reason: 78.8, 17 or 18, 56.5
Old 08-07-2005, 09:14 AM
Epic=No Smiles

Climb-o,

Right on. Remember when Richard-san got a bike from Nagasawa-san?
All he specified were seat height, setback, and reach to bars.

- Christian
76cm, 17.5cm, 57.5cm (tip of saddle to center of bars)
Old 08-07-2005, 09:23 AM
Helianthus annuus

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian
Climb-o,

Right on.
No, it's not that simple though it is possible think of it this way. The reason is that the position and the weight of the hands on the bars is not a constant. In other words, a taller frame with lift the neck, flatten the back, and take some of the pressure off the hands. You aren't floating in space, you are balancing weight proportionally. Those proportions of weight need _not_ be fixed. Clearly on a smaller frame I am putting more weight on my hands and my head is "dipped" lower while on the taller frame I am longer, flatter, not as weighty forward. As I understand it, you (that could be anyone) thinks that we need the same proportions of weight on the three points of contact which, well, is not so: even a racer-ish bike can handle properly with different amounts of weight, so while the _distances_ are the same, the points of angle and weight are different.

dbrk
Old 08-07-2005, 10:21 AM
Epic=No Smiles

The three fit points aren't the same on all the bikes you own, but I thought the point of Climb's post was that if you know what type of bike you want, that's really all you need to specify.

For instance, my Rivendell has slightly greater setback and less saddle-bar drop than my Pegoretti. But to determine if a new bike will fit (or when I send in a custom order), I can use the Riv fit points or the Pegoretti fit points, and the style of bike I want, to determine a good baseline. In other words, all my future go-fast bikes will fit like my Pegoretti. All my 200k+ bikes will fit like my Rivendell. And to communicate that fit, I can just give those fit points. I'll let cpg and e-Richie and Round worry about the weight distribution, front center, etc.

And assuredly, the weight distribution will be different. I've got a lower position, and more weight on my hands on my hands on my Pegoretti, and more weight on my butt on the Rivendell. The Pegoretti is perfect for 80-90 miles. Anything longer than that, the Riv gets the nod.

- Christian

Last edited by christian; 08-07-2005 at 10:25 AM.
Old 08-07-2005, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Doofus
round round round round round round round

fast bike...not light...flexy in a good way...but god this thing eats corners...it just wants to go faster through turns...the more you lean it, the more it wants to go....

(and yes doof would take it into uscf frenzies)

Hi Dr. Doofus
Round tubes ,good geometry , really special alloy steel and a crumb ( i don't know if this is correct) of experience ,and you have a good bicycle,this is the Giordana frames.
When ,where and what bank ? I will be happy to meet you,loking for a new stereo valve amplifier!!!!

Round
Old 08-07-2005, 10:41 AM
imho this is mp bro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by round
Hi Dr. Doofus
Round tubes ,good geometry , really special alloy steel and a crumb ( i don't know if this is correct) of experience ,and you have a good bicycle,this is the Giordana frames.
When ,where and what bank ? I will be happy to meet you,loking for a new stereo valve amplifier!!!!

Round

how about an orange?
orange amps are the bestest.

jerk©™®
Old 08-07-2005, 10:48 AM
Steel..what else??

Wish...

Wish I could get my JC120 back...
basically gave it away years ago because it was to big................

Orange...I'll get kicked out of the house.............
Old 08-07-2005, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerk
how about an orange?

jerk©™®
Orange at home?
Need for a audio tubes amp !!!!!

and Jaco plays a Acoustic 360!!
Old 08-07-2005, 11:57 AM

obscure song references

I'm wondering if someone at Pegoretti has a liking for somewaht obscure American musicians. Great Googly Moogly is a line from a Mojo Nixon and Skid Roper song, while CCKMP is the title of a truly remarkable Steve Earle song about heroin addiction. It stands for "cocaine cannot kill my pain", the next line is "heroin's the only thing, the only gift the darkness brings". Pretty hardcore stuff. Any thoughts?

Jeremy
Old 08-07-2005, 11:59 AM
Steel..what else??

close

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy
I'm wondering if someone at Pegoretti has a liking for somewaht obscure American musicians. Great Googly Moogly is a line from a Mojo Nixon and Skid Roper song, while CCKMP is the title of a truly remarkable Steve Earle song about heroin addiction. It stands for "cocaine cannot kill my pain", the next line is "heroin's the only thing, the only gift the darkness brings". Pretty hardcore stuff. Any thoughts?

Jeremy
Jeremy, you are sooooo close......look at the post above yours and try to figure out who is round???

Old 08-07-2005, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dan
Jeremy, you are sooooo close......look at the post above yours and try to figure out who is round???

Hi Big Dan,

Help me, I don't know. It can't be Country ****, I guess Richard is all that they will post? (rest in peace), I was lucky enough to see him on his last stint with the Pleasure Barons. I even had the honor of carrying him around the audience during "happy boy" at a Detroit show years ago. "I must rob a bank", reference to "I hate banks" perhaps?

Jeremy
Old 08-07-2005, 12:24 PM
Dr. Doofus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerk
how about an orange?

jerk©™®
the jerk ain't always right

1) '57 gibson skylark -- bestest rockin studio amp...5 watt class A beast...run a good mahogany slab with p-90s through it, pull some miking hocus-pocus and enjoy righteous New York Dolls grind

2) '58 fender princeton -- bestest clean studio amp...tele+princeton=heaven

doof sold em both too long ago....

anyway, the giordana (concept by round) reminds doof of what very good bike feels like. the gunnar is a good bike -- it will lean as far as you take it...the giordana is a very good bike -- it encourages you to keep leaning it...small difference...but big in a race corner

now if someone just happens to have a 57 pego, a 59 C-50, or a 58x57, 17cm setback, 17cm head tube, crit-tuned kelly bedford or chester CT creation that is lying about unused, doof will take it off your hands for a couple of weeks to get an idea of what a great bike handles like....

Last edited by Dr. Doofus; 08-07-2005 at 01:41 PM.
Old 08-07-2005, 01:00 PM
send me the twizzlers yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climb01742
...couldn't a bike be designed (or fitted) to a rider simply by knowing their 3 contact points, as defined by saddle height, saddle setback and reach? this would position a rider "in space" as it were, letting a fitter/builder create under the rider an appropriate frame.
amen.
the contact points are static. they must be chosen correctly
AND they must work in harmony with the bicycle's design.
the two are inseperable, kinda like roy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian
Right on. Remember when Richard-san got a bike from Nagasawa-san? All he specified were seat height, setback, and reach to bars.
i trusted mr nagasawa. do you trust your contact points
AND your builder?

e-RICHIE

Last edited by e-RICHIE; 08-17-2019 at 06:21 AM.