Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-19-2019, 08:30 PM
ergottWheels

You can order Industry Nine hub with steel freehub body.
Old 09-20-2019, 06:17 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by donevwil View Post
Shimano freehub can be 10 or 11 spd, planning on 32h. ~300-320# 650b rig all suited up. Will be paired with a SON dyno front.

XT (FH-M8010), Ultegra (FH-RS770)? Bitex? DT comes with aluminum freehub, correct? Have to buy steel separate ($50+)?

Chris King and WI are not on my list, I have experience.

More money typically means lighter weight (Onyx excepted), maybe ceramic bearings and blingier, but not necessarily better, right?
Tandem, 320 POUNDS?? 32h?? Hmm..not my first choice...
Old 09-20-2019, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Tandem, 320 POUNDS?? 32h?? Hmm..not my first choice...
No, not a tandem. Just me and my touring bike all loaded (maybe overloaded) up. 280 is probably more realistic. I started this wheel path before doing the weight math and I see your point, but 36h 650b rims are painfully hard to come by outside Velocity.

Sent from my LM-X410UM using Tapatalk
Old 09-20-2019, 11:47 AM
ergottWheels

Quote:
but 36h 650b rims are painfully hard to come by outside Velocity.

Sent from my LM-X410UM using Tapatalk
True. If it were me I'd consider a carbon mtb rim like Nox Teocalli/Farlow or similar. You get a very strong rim that is suitable in 32h for your needs. Any impact that will crack that rim under touring conditions will do a lot worse to the rest of the bike.

I have their Skyline in 32h for my gravel bike and have ridden over some crazy roads at high speeds. Very confidence inspiring.
Old 09-20-2019, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergott View Post
True. If it were me I'd consider a carbon mtb rim like Nox Teocalli/Farlow or similar. You get a very strong rim that is suitable in 32h for your needs. Any impact that will crack that rim under touring conditions will do a lot worse to the rest of the bike.

I have their Skyline in 32h for my gravel bike and have ridden over some crazy roads at high speeds. Very confidence inspiring.
Thanks for the recommendation, I'm such a Luddite rim brake guy I hadn't considered carbon fiber. There are quite a few nice options out there.
Old 09-20-2019, 12:08 PM
ergottWheels

Quote:
Thanks for the recommendation, I'm such a Luddite rim brake guy I hadn't considered carbon fiber. There are quite a few nice options out there.
A strong enough alloy rim in 32h will be a boat anchor in comparison

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Old 09-21-2019, 11:25 PM

Nox rims with hope pro evo 2 hubs with steel fh body. Been going for many years bomb proof. And hope street hubs are fairly cheap. Whats not to like about that?
Old 06-29-2020, 04:50 AM

New Shimano engagement system

Resurrecting this thread as I am in the same boat as the OP. Pulling the gravel/bikepacking bike down from the hook I noticed the Deore XT FH 8010 hub (which the OP was considering) is completely trashed. The grinding is so bad you can feel it through the pedals while riding, whether coasting or pedaling. Clean and grease of the cups, cones, bearings did not help the roughness. There is also a lot of roughness in the freehub-like sand in there, which I did not remove. There is significant side-to-side play in the wheel, etc. etc.

So am rethinking my "value" choice in rear hubs, at least for this application. The bike has seen some pretty extreme conditions, but still, my experience with road Shimano is that the lower-tiered components are pretty good. True, I had not serviced the bearings in the two years, but that would not have addressed the freehub issue which is where the side-to-side play is coming from. I refuse to do freehub service, at least on Shimano.

Not wanting to spend $0.5k on a hub I am down to Hope pro 4 and DT 350 as discussed above. I am intrigued by the various non-pawl engagement systems- DT, Onyx, I-nine, etc. I came across the new Shimano XTR 9100 series. I am ruling this out because it is limited to micro spline and I have 10 speed HG shimano (though it is confusing that several websites-CC, Backcountry, etc- seem to picture the old 9000 series hub which is clearly HG). Still curious though. Does anyone have details on this design? It is described on CC web site as "two ratcheting driver plates" that "glide across each other while coasting but engage rapidly when force is applied to the pedals". This sounds a little like the DT system, though it is not clear how the plates engage with each other.

In any case, looks like I will be ordering the Hope or the DT. I'm thinking either will be fine. Curious about new Shimano system though.
Old 06-29-2020, 07:50 AM

I've been considering building up a wheelset and very much looking at the Shimano RS770 hubs. Front and rear pair can be had on eBay for $200 and they are just a touch heavier than the DT Swiss 350 for ~$300.

Very happy with my Shimano R7000 hubs on my 650b wheelset so I'm sure I'd be just as happy with the RS770 hubs.

Maybe worth a look in comparison to the DT Swiss 350.
Old 06-29-2020, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty2k1 View Post
I've been considering building up a wheelset and very much looking at the Shimano RS770 hubs. Front and rear pair can be had on eBay for $200 and they are just a touch heavier than the DT Swiss 350 for ~$300.

Very happy with my Shimano R7000 hubs on my 650b wheelset so I'm sure I'd be just as happy with the RS770 hubs.

Maybe worth a look in comparison to the DT Swiss 350.
Huh. Had not considered. Still a Shimano fan and the price is right. Plus they are CL and probably same dimensions as my XT 8081 so could use the same rotor and same spokes. Not sure where these are positioned in the market. Seem to be road and E-bike, but the "GRX" suggests gravel. For me this only matters from a durability standpoint. Another plus for me is the quiet. There is little information on these regarding engagement system. After my last experience though I am leaning toward the beefier side of things.
Old 06-29-2020, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marciero View Post
Huh. Had not considered. Still a Shimano fan and the price is right. Plus they are CL and probably same dimensions as my XT 8081 so could use the same rotor and same spokes. Not sure where these are positioned in the market. Seem to be road and E-bike, but the "GRX" suggests gravel. For me this only matters from a durability standpoint. Another plus for me is the quiet. There is little information on these regarding engagement system. After my last experience though I am leaning toward the beefier side of things.
Velomine has them built up with some Mavic open pro disc rims, so maybe they could give you some extra info:
https://www.velomine.com/index.php?m...oducts_id=4881