Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-25-2018, 01:58 PM

I doubt that they would send you a summons for that week and then cancel it entirely because of the holiday. They generally just shut down for the holiday and then pick back up on the next business day.

One question: Does your first day of jury duty fall before your first day of vacation?

I just served on a trial for 2 weeks. One thing I noticed during the jury selection process on day 1 was that anyone who had a trip planned that would likely overlap with the trial was immediately dismissed by the judge and still received credit for attending, just like the folks who were dismissed for having extreme views or whatever other excuse they could come up with. There wasn't any real discussion, they just thanked them for showing up and dismissed them.

If your trip isn't until later in the week, you may be able to show up, get dismissed (or serve on a quick trial), and still receive credit for serving in this cycle. Some of this may depend on the court or the judge, but just something to consider if you are available part of the week before going on vacation. On our trial, we went longer than planned and someone had a trip that overlapped for the very last day. They told the judge, he dismissed them, and they used the alternate juror for that last day. While inefficient, I found them to be very reasonable about things.

Last edited by tumbler; 04-25-2018 at 02:03 PM.
Old 04-25-2018, 02:16 PM
formerly Landshark_98

Depends on so many things including the judge(s)(most important), the docket, any speedy trial issues, last minute settlements. Some judges love trying cases and if not on vacation would think little of starting a trial, adjourning for the 4th and back at it on the 5th (although with the 4th on a Wednesday that does screw things up a bit, but jury selection could take Monday, Tuesday, start on Thursday. Other judges will use holidays to mess with lawyers and increase pressure to settle cases. I clerked for a US District Court judge who hated trying cases (yes, quite ironic) and he would think nothing of using holidays and vacation plans to squeeze lawyers and clients. Now he was a jerk, but he's not the only one. If you want certainty, try to move it now rather than rolling the dice.