Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-14-2018, 09:30 PM

At Merlin almost all are sold out. To get the modern campy shoes with clips you must spend $84. The cheaper ones have either shimano screw style holders or old 2000s press fit style.

Also, shipping to Canada from Merlin you will always pay for duty as they don’t ship Royal Mail. It could get expansive. 4 campy holders with pads are $100.

Pre 2011 Record holders don’t use a clip or screw system. They are only press fit, which can be a pain in the ass to install and replace. It’s way easier to get a bunch of cheap aftermarket holders and swap the holder instead of changing pads.
I just went through a similar search for my Shamal Mille with 2010 SR brakes.
ANGRYSCIENTIST suggested to use jagwire holders as they were cheap, $15/pair, and did as good of a job holding the pads as anything else. They work great. Be careful as there is one model that doesn’t have the dome washers to adjust the toe in. Also, at all the LBS I went to buy the jagwire, koolsop, and all the other after market holders I looked at only stocked shimano screw holders / pads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfd View Post
If the OP must have Campy parts, Merlin Cycles has a sale on Campy brakes starting at about $18 and dual pivots can be found at $35!

http://bikes.merlincycles.com/search...nolo%20Caliper

Last edited by spinarelli; 04-14-2018 at 09:32 PM.
Old 04-14-2018, 10:24 PM

What do people usually use for replacement pads? Koolstop?
Old 04-14-2018, 11:45 PM

Seriously....swapping pads on Campy or any other holders is a cinch and should take u about 5 seconds to remove and about 5 seconds to install. If u r SLIDING out the pads u r doing it wrong....instead simply insert a thin screwdriver between pad and holder and gently pry pad out of holder. To install simply slide in...if interference is too tight, apply spit or a bit of dishwashing soap and ur done. About 10 effortlesss seconds per pad and ur done.
Old 04-15-2018, 12:18 AM

Singapore-based retailer

Discobrakes.com has what you're looking for. (Alternatively, their ebay store's handle is bikefridge.) Their site is a little confusing to navigate, but if it has to do with bicycle brakes, they have it. Seems they ship from distribution centers in the US and UK. UK presence is larger. A complete set (4) of their Campy-compatible holders, including carbon rim-compatible pads, will run you $31; if you want just the holders, that'll set you back $26 for four. The holders are indistinguishable from Campy holders (except that the bolt heads are still Allen and notwithstanding one difference I spot in the online depiction). The holders also accept Campy-branded pads. Their own brown, cork-composite pad is entirely acceptable and I've run through several sets. That said, got a set of red, Campy pads in the mail today, in part because I like the color.
Old 04-15-2018, 06:54 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhuerta View Post
Seriously....swapping pads on Campy or any other holders is a cinch and should take u about 5 seconds to remove and about 5 seconds to install. If u r SLIDING out the pads u r doing it wrong....instead simply insert a thin screwdriver between pad and holder and gently pry pad out of holder. To install simply slide in...if interference is too tight, apply spit or a bit of dishwashing soap and ur done. About 10 effortlesss seconds per pad and ur done.
Agree and BTW...newer 'with clip' pads work with older, non clip holders..
Old 04-15-2018, 09:57 AM

Kool stop

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadence90 View Post
I don't really understand the need (desire to switch holders, seems a huge hassle/cost for an extremely minor "convenience"), especially if you are also opposed to after-market holders.

There are plenty of after-market Campa holders, silver or black, for around $8-$10, whereas the Campa 4-piece kit is, what, $60-$70?

If the desire for Campa-branded is so strong, you may as well just buy some used Campa brakes on eBay, for the holders only. It all seems very sacrificial/wasteful to me, but the availability is there.

Exactly. Perfectly fine; very available; reasonably priced.
Yep Koolstop works for me thanks!
Old 04-15-2018, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homagesilkhope View Post
Discobrakes.com has what you're looking for. (Alternatively, their ebay store's handle is bikefridge.) Their site is a little confusing to navigate, but if it has to do with bicycle brakes, they have it. Seems they ship from distribution centers in the US and UK. UK presence is larger. A complete set (4) of their Campy-compatible holders, including carbon rim-compatible pads, will run you $31; if you want just the holders, that'll set you back $26 for four. The holders are indistinguishable from Campy holders (except that the bolt heads are still Allen and notwithstanding one difference I spot in the online depiction). The holders also accept Campy-branded pads. Their own brown, cork-composite pad is entirely acceptable and I've run through several sets. That said, got a set of red, Campy pads in the mail today, in part because I like the color.
Discobrakes looks good thanks!
Old 04-15-2018, 05:52 PM
#RYFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Agree and BTW...newer 'with clip' pads work with older, non clip holders..
D'oh! Wish I had known this before embarking on an 'adventure' involving new calipers. Should have asked OP…

Out of curiosity, if one wanted to stick with the shoe-swapping approach…are newer style (post 2011) shoes compatible with earlier calipers?
Old 04-15-2018, 06:23 PM

Yes. The pad removal techniques identified above are spot on. I would add that it is easier to insert the pads if apply rubbing alcohol to the back and edges.
Old 04-15-2018, 07:31 PM
cmg

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgolvin View Post
D'oh! Wish I had known this before embarking on an 'adventure' involving new calipers. Should have asked OP…

Out of curiosity, if one wanted to stick with the shoe-swapping approach…are newer style (post 2011) shoes compatible with earlier calipers?
probably not. campy must spend a lot of engineering time thinking of ways to make small parts incompatible. on the ones your talking about the bolt/stud diameters of the pad holders are different than the post 2011 ones. the bolts/studs that hold the pads are incompatible and you can't exchange studs. on another set the calipers are designed with a groove for the brake holders to fit in and the newer pads don't have that type clamping design. try to get pad holder of the campy generation your using, pre-2000 with pre-2000. it's easier and cheaper to buy new calipers from eBay than the small parts. ultegra or dura ace from a season or two back will work with the campy shifter.

Last edited by cmg; 04-15-2018 at 07:35 PM.
Old 04-15-2018, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmg View Post
probably not. campy must spend a lot of engineering time thinking of ways to make small parts incompatible. on the ones your talking about the bolt/stud diameters of the pad holders are different than the post 2011 ones. the bolts/studs that hold the pads are incompatible and you can't exchange studs. on another set the calipers are designed with a groove for the brake holders to fit in and the newer pads don't have that type clamping design. try to get pad holder of the campy generation your using, pre-2000 with pre-2000. it's easier and cheaper to buy new calipers from eBay than the small parts. ultegra or dura ace from a season or two back will work with the campy shifter.
I’m not sure where people come from saying Campagnolo is needlessly incompatible. For every campag example of a spec change, you can probably come up with 2 or 3 from shimano.

I’ve got a bike that has:
Record 8 speed ergos with record 10 speed internals
Record delta brakes with 10 speed era record pad holders (everything was a perfect fit)
Centaur 10 speed rear derailleur with the stainless hardware from a super record 11 derailleur
C-record cranks with a later veloce bottom bracket, and chorus 10 chainrings
Old 04-16-2018, 06:43 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgolvin View Post

Not sure but I think they are. swapping whole holders, etc on different gen brake calipers not something I did much since the holders from Campag really expensive.

Part numbers from 2011 to 2014 are the same so I'm guessing they are compatible.

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 04-16-2018 at 06:48 AM.
Old 04-16-2018, 08:08 AM

Have you called Marinoni? I believe they are the Canandian disty.
Maybe La Bicicletta hee in Toronto?

I just posted this last night:
https://www.merlincycles.com/swissst...ds-111795.html

I've used the GHP2 when I was riding on Ultegra and they were way better than the stock pads.

Haven't swapped out the pads on my Athena brakes yet but will when these arrive.
Old 04-16-2018, 09:18 AM

https://labicicletta.com/products/campagnolo-brake-pads
Old 04-16-2018, 12:07 PM

Canada!

Yeah > Canada source and price in CAD not so bad! Happy Days thanks V!
Given up on Campy holders, going aftermarket holders, but mostly replacing pads is the way to go.
Forumites ROCK