Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-26-2018, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 855 View Post

heart vs. head. how would you decide?

thank you!
You have both bikes. You tell us.
Old 04-26-2018, 08:52 AM

It is only heart Vs head because the CR is the new girl on the block.
Soon enough you will long for the SL.

I had a Seven Axiom SLX (thin Ti tubed) that I loved. But I longed for those voluminous tubed bikes. And I longed long -- for almost three years. So I bought one eventually. I loved it for the first few months. I loved the ride and I loved the more modern looks. So, I sold the Seven. The heart had won. But guess what? Now a few months later, I long for my Seven. The ride was sublime. It was not as stiff but was it comfortable...ahhhhh.

I miss my Seven and those "un-modern" thin ultra butted Ti tubes.

If you have the means, keep both. Seriously.
Or sell the CR and get a carbon bike that will scratch your "stiff" cravings. This way you will have your comfortable SL and your stiff carbon bike. Two very different bikes for two very different days when you are ambiguous about which one to pick from your stable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by colker View Post
You have both bikes. You tell us.
Old 04-26-2018, 09:23 AM

I assume your SL is a 62.5, same size as mine, seems weird that two of a rare bike in the same size are on this board.

Long lost twins.

Hoping you can do me a small favour - can you measure the top tube and headtube lengths? I am pretty sure mine is a custom(not built for me) and just want to see what the changes were. I think my top tube is short and just want to confirm.
Old 04-26-2018, 09:32 AM

SL Size is 61.5

TT 595mm
HT 200mm
Old 04-26-2018, 09:48 AM

Quote:
SL Size is 61.5

TT 595mm
HT 200mm
Not to move in while the body is still warm but..

I could probably groove on that if you ever decide to sell it (and if it fits 28s..)!
Old 04-26-2018, 10:58 AM

Thanks, mine is definitely a custom, top tube is significantly shorter (about 58.5)
Old 04-26-2018, 11:23 AM

Both bikes are beautiful.
But to me, I'd go with the traditional ride.
Old 04-27-2018, 12:44 AM

If it helps, I'd offer you a more than fair price for your Vamoots SL. And knowing me, you'd have a chance to buy it back down the road anyway...just consider it active storage

Or maybe you want to try some high-end steel - my Hampsten would fit you nicely and tradesies could potentially be arranged
Old 04-27-2018, 01:00 AM

Placebo or confirmation bias.

No way the CR is "way stiffer" than the Sl. IMHO, having ridden (HARD) every iteration of the Moots road bike, the original RSL or the obese head tube RSL and CR are all equally unstiff. Carbon is stiff. Moots are Moots.

Oh, the Vamoots Sl is the sexiest ti bika ever. End of Story.
Old 04-27-2018, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeatnik View Post
Placebo or confirmation bias.

No way the CR is "way stiffer" than the Sl. IMHO, having ridden (HARD) every iteration of the Moots road bike, the original RSL or the obese head tube RSL and CR are all equally unstiff. Carbon is stiff. Moots are Moots.
you´re kidding me?
HT44 vs. 1 1/8, tapered fork vs. 1 1/8, Enve Bone vs. Moots Ti Stem in 120mm, no difference?
at the front end CR IS way stiffer!
never had a problem riding the SL, but now it is another ride.

Quote:
indeed!

perhaps the SL should stay ready-for-ride and i enjoy it on sunday?!
Old 04-27-2018, 07:59 AM

Quote:
you´re kidding me?
HT44 vs. 1 1/8, tapered fork vs. 1 1/8, Enve Bone vs. Moots Ti Stem in 120mm, no difference?

indeed!

I would keep the SL for a (long) while. Ride the CR until it’s familiar, and it’s newness has worn off. As I noted way back (page 1?), I went through a similar process, although I had SLs (Compact and standard Vamoots) and switched to an RSL (first gen). For a year or more I was wowed by the RSL’s stiffness, but eventually grew tired of it. The SLs weren’t the best fit so I didn’t go in search of a replacement, but I did go back to a less stiff ti bike. Now, I weigh less than you do, so what is overly stiff for me might not be for you. Give it some time, and then bring the SL out of “retirement.” If at that point you still prefer the CR, you will feel more confident in letting it go.
Old 04-27-2018, 11:52 AM

Quote:
you´re kidding me?

indeed!

You may be confusing steering input for stiffness. The fork would account for this. Sprinting at 25mph up a 25% wall, the CR will appear to track better or feel more planted, otherwise the response to power output of both bikes will be nearly identical. I used to think that the C60 was "stiffer" than the C59. I've realized neither bike is very stiff for a carbon race bike. A good thing.
Old 04-27-2018, 11:54 AM

Quote:
This is true. I've never really been a Ti guy (not yet, at least), but that Vamoots SL looks incredible.
Old 04-27-2018, 12:34 PM

You are about the same size, in fact the exact same, as me and I ride a Moots Compact. The one thing about being tall is that you are always going to have miles of seatpost sticking out and it can 'look' funny if that bothers you on the slopping frame.

Having said that though IMHO the compact or sloping geometry is indeed stiffer then the standard. It seems to make sense from an engineering stand point right? The smaller triangle will not bend as easily. Of course that goes out the window due to the long seat post while sitting.
Old 04-27-2018, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycampyer View Post
I would keep the SL for a (long) while. Ride the CR until it’s familiar, and it’s newness has worn off. As I noted way back (page 1?), I went through a similar process, although I had SLs (Compact and standard Vamoots) and switched to an RSL (first gen). For a year or more I was wowed by the RSL’s stiffness, but eventually grew tired of it. The SLs weren’t the best fit so I didn’t go in search of a replacement, but I did go back to a less stiff ti bike. Now, I weigh less than you do, so what is overly stiff for me might not be for you. Give it some time, and then bring the SL out of “retirement.” If at that point you still prefer the CR, you will feel more confident in letting it go.
thanks for your words.
i´ll never sale the SL, it will always be special for me. currently i have 3 Vamoots roadbikes, the SL, an older CR (for sale) and the new CR. for pure road ride the CR is my favourite now, for cyclocross i have the PsychloX and my new, big love is an adventure road bike with long reach caliper: be fast and do what you want. that´s my style of riding for the next years.

and some day, perhaps, i rebuild my old vamoots SL...