Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-20-2017, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
Celtics were more of a slow cook anyways. Would have taken a LeBron injury for them to really get to the Finals this year. A year or two from now is their real window. I doubt they rush him back. Its a chance to get Tatum and Brown more run too, and both of those guys looked good last night.
I don't think the Celtics were banking on the finals this year, more so the next few years and be ready knocking on the door. When the Cavs and Celts play, you can just see the physical advantage the Cavs posses over the Celtics. The Celtics have no answer for lebron's physicality.

Gordon should bounce back as it was just his ankle and he's young. Sometimes those ankles don't heal right though (Grant Hill). I think everyone felt bad for the dude, because he's put in they years at Utah to put himself in a winning situation and only lasted 6min into the season.
Old 10-20-2017, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybee View Post
Would vote Pop in a heartbeat!

After last night's TNT games, a couple thoughts:

The Thunder are going to be absolutely monstrous on defense. I predict they are no worse than 3rd in defensive rating at season's end. They still suffer from a sticky ball on offense, something you would kinda expect with the way Melo, Russ and to a lesser extent PG have had to operate offensively over the last few years. Russ was definitely trying to get guys in spots, but it's just to find an ISO mismatch instead of get the ball pinging around the floor Spurs style. If they hope to reach the WCF, that'll have to change, even though they have probably 3 of the best 15 ISO guys in the league on their team.

Patrick Beverly ate Lonzo Ball for dinner last night. It was savage in a way that only PatBev can do. Lonzo seems like a good dude, and I feel bad that he's going to get a lot of extra crap just because his dad is writing checks that he's counting on his son to cash.
As long as Melo is on the floor, the Thunder have a huge problem on the defensive end. Roberson, George, Adams and to a lesser extent Westbrook are all plus defenders. But Melo can't guard a lamp post and he'll get exposed throughout the year. Their bench isn't much better defensively. I just don't see it. At least they got rid of Kanter, who's an embarrassment to the concept of defense in basketball.
Old 10-20-2017, 01:49 PM

Quote:
As long as Melo is on the floor, the Thunder have a huge problem on the defensive end. Roberson, George, Adams and to a lesser extent Westbrook are all plus defenders. But Melo can't guard a lamp post and he'll get exposed throughout the year. Their bench isn't much better defensively. I just don't see it. At least they got rid of Kanter, who's an embarrassment to the concept of defense in basketball.
Melo's problem has always been more effort than technique or understanding the rotations. He seemed more engaged last night than he has in NY, but I'm willing to accept that part of that is new surroundings and that the previous 8 years are probably more indicative of what to expect. Best case he is a neutral on D.

Regardless, against every team who is not the W's, you can always hide one weak guy, especially if you have long switchy dudes like PG, Roberson and PatPat. Melo will never have to do more than guard the 3rd best player of the other team's wings and 4s.

Looking at last year's D rating stats, OKC were 12th, 2.8 pts/100 out of 3rd. 5 of the teams above them lost good to great defenders and didn't really replace with equivalent talent(Indiana/George, Atlanta/Millsap, Utah/Hayward, LAC/Paul, Boston/Crowder and Bradley). OKC meanwhile replaces 3 defensive catastrophes (Kanter, McBuckets, Sabonis) with plus and neutral guys. The communication and rotation were on point last night - granted, its the Knicks. I don't think it's unreasonable to say they will be top 3, but I guess we will see.
Old 10-20-2017, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybee View Post
Melo's problem has always been more effort than technique or understanding the rotations. He seemed more engaged last night than he has in NY, but I'm willing to accept that part of that is new surroundings and that the previous 8 years are probably more indicative of what to expect. Best case he is a neutral on D.

Regardless, against every team who is not the W's, you can always hide one weak guy, especially if you have long switchy dudes like PG, Roberson and PatPat. Melo will never have to do more than guard the 3rd best player of the other team's wings and 4s.

Looking at last year's D rating stats, OKC were 12th, 2.8 pts/100 out of 3rd. 5 of the teams above them lost good to great defenders and didn't really replace with equivalent talent(Indiana/George, Atlanta/Millsap, Utah/Hayward, LAC/Paul, Boston/Crowder and Bradley). OKC meanwhile replaces 3 defensive catastrophes (Kanter, McBuckets, Sabonis) with plus and neutral guys. The communication and rotation were on point last night - granted, its the Knicks. I don't think it's unreasonable to say they will be top 3, but I guess we will see.
I'm just not willing to concede that Olympics Melo -- which is everyone's hope here -- shows up for 82 games. Over two weeks with LeBron keeping everyone in check? Absolutely. And for stretches in NYC after the move to the Knicks? Undoubtedly.

But he seems like a guy unable to really play well with others and stay locked in on both ends of the floor for 82 games. And they'll need that in the West because its such a buzzsaw.

Course, even if they're just flat defensively year over year, what he gives them offensively is light years ahead of last year's (admittedly awesome) Westbrook hero ball project.

Hat's off to Presti for going all in on this. Like Houston, I'm fascinated to see what happens.
Old 10-20-2017, 04:23 PM
Registered (ab)User

Quote:
Originally Posted by denapista View Post
Gordon should bounce back as it was just his ankle
Ankle and tibia.

But the report I saw last night suggests he'll still be back in time to play this season. Unlike Jeremy Lin...
Old 10-22-2017, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
Ankle and tibia.

But the report I saw last night suggests he'll still be back in time to play this season. Unlike Jeremy Lin...
I'm real sad about the JLin injury. The guy tries so hard, and always plays well when he's not hurt. And he's Asian so I gotta root for him, right?

anyone see the double ejection last night?
Old 10-22-2017, 06:58 PM

Meanwhile, under everyone's radar, Toronto is developing a second unit that could very well (finally) push the team to the next level. They're athletic and exciting, with a real sting to the defence. Two of the third-year players the Raps have been grooming for the past two years are turning into solid contributors (Norman Powell and Delon Wright), and this year's rookie, OG Anunoby, is looking like a stud of a power forward, but with three-point shooting in his arsenal. Not to mention Jakob Poeltl, a smart Austrian 7-footer showing some surprising shot-blocking athleticism.

It's gotta be the Raptors back in the conference finals with Cleveland this year if DeRozan keeps playing his game and Lowry stays healthy and doesn't get worn down. Boston was over-hyped even with Hayward and Kyrie in the line-up, but now with Hayward out they're a one-series-and-done playoff team. Cleveland and Toronto are known quantities expected to go deep into the playoffs, but the really intriguing teams will be Milwaukee and Washington. Will be fascinating to see what they do, including whether the Greek Freak fulfills the expectations that everyone is heaping on him this season.

The West is boring save for OKC.
Old 10-22-2017, 07:06 PM

.... ..

Last edited by cadence90; 07-21-2018 at 12:24 AM.
Old 10-22-2017, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
Meanwhile, under everyone's radar, Toronto is developing a second unit that could very well (finally) push the team to the next level. They're athletic and exciting, with a real sting to the defence. Two of the third-year players the Raps have been grooming for the past two years are turning into solid contributors (Norman Powell and Delon Wright), and this year's rookie, OG Anunoby, is looking like a stud of a power forward, but with three-point shooting in his arsenal. Not to mention Jakob Poeltl, a smart Austrian 7-footer showing some surprising shot-blocking athleticism.

It's gotta be the Raptors back in the conference finals with Cleveland this year if DeRozan keeps playing his game and Lowry stays healthy and doesn't get worn down. Boston was over-hyped even with Hayward and Kyrie in the line-up, but now with Hayward out they're a one-series-and-done playoff team. Cleveland and Toronto are known quantities expected to go deep into the playoffs, but the really intriguing teams will be Milwaukee and Washington. Will be fascinating to see what they do, including whether the Greek Freak fulfills the expectations that everyone is heaping on him this season.

i'll disagree with you on the west, but you're right about the raptors - last night 44 3pt attempts, highest last season was 35 (from something I read). big fan of derozan. i think they're steadily making their way up, but honestly, i wouldn't discount the wizards either. they could be dangerous if they can sort out their bench situation.

greek freak could make a run for MVP this year based on how he's playing, but it's too early to tell.

the suns are loaded with young talent that can't quite execute on the big stage yet. we'll see if a new coach will help them with that.
Old 10-22-2017, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post

Toronto will Toronto.

Kyle Lowry's playoff vanishing act is as predictable as the changing of the seasons at this point.

Given they're 2-8 against the Cavs the last two years in the playoffs, and never looked like they'd seriously push the Cavs, and are still coached by Dwane Casey, I'm not holding my breath.

But maybe LeBron breaks a leg or something? Weirder stuff has happened.
Old 10-22-2017, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Toronto will Toronto.

Kyle Lowry's playoff vanishing act is as predictable as the changing of the seasons at this point.

Given they're 2-8 against the Cavs the last two years in the playoffs, and never looked like they'd seriously push the Cavs, and are still coached by Dwane Casey, I'm not holding my breath.

But maybe LeBron breaks a leg or something? Weirder stuff has happened.
This year will be different. I promise.
Old 10-23-2017, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadence90 View Post
PHX SUNS .....
What's going on there? There's some real talent on that roster. The Bulls would gladly take Bledsoe off their hands.
Old 10-23-2017, 11:38 AM

.... ..

Old 10-23-2017, 12:31 PM

I wouldn't count on the Bulls doing anything to get better. They are in full on tank mode before the lottery odds flatten out next year. Same with the Suns, and they will be moving Bledsoe. Nice job by him killing any leverage though.
Old 10-23-2017, 01:02 PM

.... ..