Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-26-2018, 10:34 AM

OT: Work related expense report

Went to visit a vendor yesterday. Used my vehicle for the 255 mile round trip. Burned through 3/4 of a tank of gas. I would like to submit an expense report for mileage.
Here's the rub.... My current boss is very much a, how should I put it, "company man". Thinks more overtime and/or coming in on weekends is the thing to do (we are salaried/exempt), encourages us to not use all of our vacation, etc. He sees it as "giving back to the company" to prove loyalty.
Now I wouldn't be bothered about a work related drive across town, but 3/4 tank of gas & a few hundred miles is a different matter IMO.
My concern (which I believe is well founded) is he would probably approve the expense, but it would be a mark against me in his mind. That could play out in the future. FWIW, the old boss would have insisted I fill out an expense report.
Other types of longer company travel are no-brainer, but I can see this one possibly going the other way with him. What say you?
Old 04-26-2018, 10:40 AM

I would absolutely expense that mileage, then I’d look for a new job. Life is too short to work for assholes.
Old 04-26-2018, 10:45 AM

I'd agree.. expense it and look for a new job.

It seems 99% of the time this "loyalty" thing is one way. They want you to be loyal right up until they lay you off/outsource you/whatever the instant it's no longer 100% convenient to continue your current arrangement.

I did work a few places where expensing a trip that you took in your own vehicle was not allowed if the trip exceeded a particular distance. I think that had more to do with driving cars being the most dangerous way to travel for conducting business. Putting you on a train/plane reduces their exposure to risk.
Old 04-26-2018, 10:49 AM

I get 58 cents a mile when I use my own vehicle for company travel. It's part of my travel claim. I take my truck to the airport where I park for free due to my Veteran status so I never hear a peep because I'm saving them the parking costs.
Old 04-26-2018, 10:53 AM

If you are an at-will employee (and you almost certainly are), then forget loyalty. As benb posts above, the company is not loyal to you, and you don't owe them anything. You go to work and do your job, they compensate you, end of story.

I'd expense your drive, and honestly, I'd start expensing the shorter drives as well just to establish that use of your POV for business is a business expense. If you aren't doing that, then keep a record of personal resources for business use for tax time. They owe you 255 miles x 0.545 $/mi = $138.98, unless you have something diff. than the IRS mileage rate in a contract.

And yeah, start looking for a new job if you think it would improve your general situation.

Last edited by Jaybee; 04-26-2018 at 10:56 AM.
Old 04-26-2018, 10:55 AM

You should expense it.

You're a full time employee, doing the company's work, and using your personal assets to do so.

It's a normal cost of doing bidnez.
Old 04-26-2018, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
I'd agree.. expense it and look for a new job.

It seems 99% of the time this "loyalty" thing is one way. They want you to be loyal right up until they lay you off/outsource you/whatever the instant it's no longer 100% convenient to continue your current arrangement.
+1 especially if you work for a tech company.
Old 04-26-2018, 10:56 AM
Administrator

set a mental rule for yourself and share it with your manager.

"if it's less than 25 miles, i'm fine with eating it, beyond that, i'll expense it"

be clear and consistent.
Old 04-26-2018, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAGI410 View Post
I would absolutely expense that mileage, then I’d look for a new job. Life is too short to work for assholes.
Absolutely. The boss is just looking for his own bonus and promotion, not yours.
Old 04-26-2018, 11:05 AM
I need you cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab2000 View Post
Absolutely. The boss is just looking for his own bonus and promotion, not yours.
+1

Something to consider...next time, let him (or your next boss) know you are driving that far, and that you will either expense miles or rent a car depending on what is less expensive for the company.....which would he prefer?
Old 04-26-2018, 11:34 AM

Quote:
AMEN! This guy is grinding his subordinates to make his numbers look better and he's not smart enough to realize that his attitude is counter-productive to efficiency.
Old 04-26-2018, 11:37 AM

Right On

Quote:
This ^.

I have been a manager/supervisor for longer than I care to think. A good company man takes care of his people first. This guy is working the wrong end of the equation. You cannot direct loyalty, it is something that is built by building a trusting relationship.

Ray
Old 04-26-2018, 11:57 AM

I would make sure your TPS report contains proper line spacing and appropriate use of punctuation.
Old 04-26-2018, 12:02 PM

Your boss sounds like a Grade A Bellend.

Giving back to the company to prove "loyalty"? What planet does he live on?

Surely turning up for work and doing your job competently proves "loyalty"? What does the company do for you that proves it's loyalty? **** all I'd imagine?
It goes both ways.
Old 04-26-2018, 12:04 PM
I need you cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54ny77 View Post
I would make sure your TPS report contains proper line spacing and appropriate use of punctuation.
Attached Images
File Type: png office space gif.png (63.8 KB, 258 views)