Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-26-2018, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Maddox View Post
I see much of the same problem in my other hobby, music. In particular, heavy, expensive items such as synthesizers and keyboards sometimes arrive hastily tossed into a box with half-a-load of packing peanuts.

No kidding...I once received a decent sized subwoofer that had been shipped in a cardboard box. Just the subwoofer...no padding whatsoever. It was a little worse for the wear...

And I received a set of alloy car wheels/tires that had been shipped with no packing. When I ship a wheel/tire I cover both sides of the wheel with cardboard to prevent scratching in transit. This shipper didn't do that...but he did go to great lengths to ensure that the label would never come off the wheel...several years on I'm still picking clear packing tape off those wheels...
Old 04-26-2018, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley View Post
I am not getting it. When you buy something, even on EBay, and you pay for shipping (either directly or indirectly) there is an expectation that the item is packed to prevent in shipment damage. My feelings, and I believe of the OP, is that it should be carefully packed (as a minimum, completely enclosed) so that the likely hood of damage from handling is reduced.

As I noted, I got a high end bicycle frame sandwiched between 2 pieces of cardboard, I spent about 14 days resolving the issue with EBay to return a frame that was damaged (not really visible, but the rear triangle was out of alignment). Dealing with returns are a hassle and I believe you have a "right" to expect that items are appropriately packed.

Just for reference, you have seen videos of package handlers throwing items around, a nick in the bead or sidewall likely might not be obvious and may impact the useability of the tire over the long run.

Obviously if you think this is ok, that is your opinion, but seems wrong to call out the OP.

Best

Ray
Well yeh, but if the item arrives undamaged anyway, then is it really worth getting stressed about a lack of packaging?
Old 04-26-2018, 12:23 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by macaroon View Post
Well yeh, but if the item arrives undamaged anyway, then is it really worth getting stressed about a lack of packaging?
no one is stressed about it, people are just describing their situations. And it is ridiculous that he thought it was ok to ship anything like that, regardless of how it arrived.
Old 04-26-2018, 12:56 PM

Quote:
If the item arrived as described, and undamaged, then I'm not really sure what the problem is?
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemship View Post
Yeah I kinda thought the same thing but what do I know. Unless I'm missing something, details...we're talking about tires...right?
Quote:
Tell you two what:
  • I have some items listed here in the classifieds.
  • Buy any one of those items from me, at 10% off for either of you.
  • I will then ship the items to you, but packaged in a manner very similar to what the op has described.
  • Do not get offended if I write, "I really don't give a ****" under your address; after all, I'm just being an honest seller.
  • Upon receipt of the package, please post your changed tune here.
  • Thanks very much.
Old 04-26-2018, 01:38 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadence90 View Post
Tell you two what:
  • I have some items listed here in the classifieds.
  • Buy any one of those items from me, at 10% off for either of you.
  • I will then ship the items to you, but packaged in a manner very similar to what the op has described.
  • Do not get offended if I write, "I really don't give a ****" under your address; after all, I'm just being an honest seller.
  • Upon receipt of the package, please post your changed tune here.
  • Thanks very much.
thank you for this
Old 04-26-2018, 02:05 PM

that was

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadence90 View Post
Cake? That takes the entire bakery!

Unbelievable.

Not just eBay, though. I had an active and known PL member send me a Fizik Arione once not in a box, but rather just in a folded-over, taped-up scrap piece of cardboard. Besides being very surprising and unprofessional, the entire gesture felt particularly rude and cheap to the point of ridiculousness.

Probably me! I've done something similar to this but always in a very sturdy/tough cardboard.
Old 04-26-2018, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noonan1970 View Post
Probably me! I've done something similar to this but always in a very sturdy/tough cardboard.
Definitely not you, in my case.

But, since you have warned us all now, if I ever do buy from you rest assured that I will be putting that "sturdy/tough cardboard" through my "sturdy/tough wringer".

Last edited by cadence90; 04-26-2018 at 03:55 PM.
Old 04-27-2018, 08:22 AM

thats incredible

and yes, seller feedback % carries plenty of weight.

even if they have 100%, read those reviews