Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-25-2018, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlbs View Post
Why not take this frame to Mariposa?

They are capable of assessing the problem accurately, and if they determine that they can repair the frame, they have a good painter on site who will do fine work for considerably less than velocolour.

I've seen Mike Sr. and crew do some wondrous repairs and restoration over many years. I would suggest that they should be your first point of call.
Like I said, I will be bringing it to Mariposa. I guess I just wanted to get an idea of what to expect before coming in.

Thanks everyone for your insights!
Old 04-26-2018, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kirk View Post
It looks to me like the seat tube has separated from the BB shell. Impossible to tell why without pulling it apart. When the seat tube came loose from its socket part of the rear tang stayed affixed to the seat tube and thus broke away from the shell.

This is not an indicator that the frame was under any undue stress or that the ST was under tension....it was just not brazed as it should have been and it failed.

It's remotely, very remotely, possible that the seat tube could just be re-brazed into the shell and life would be good. The problem is that the area where the braze needs to go is no doubt corroded and full of dirt and grease and one can never get all that crap out and any re-brazing would be compromised and highly suspect. I personally would not waste any time going down this re-brazing road.

If it's worth it to spend real money and time on it I'd have it professionally repaired....if not make a lamp out of it.

dave
Do you see any issues fillet-brazing the ST to the shell? Better than a lamp post..
Old 04-26-2018, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bim View Post
Do you see any issues fillet-brazing the ST to the shell? Better than a lamp post..
Do mean keeping the current shell and hooking the ST to to the BB with fillets? If so that won't work. First you'd need to somehow cut the seat tube socket off the shell with the tube still in it. That would be tough.

Next issue is that there will of course be a big hole remaining form the socket and nothing for the seat tube to rest on and connect to.

I suppose one could remove the old shell and fillet a new socketless shell in it's place but that has it's own issues.

I think it's either replace the shell or lamp time.

dave
Old 04-26-2018, 10:31 AM

Thanks Dave, really appreciate your help!
Old 04-26-2018, 01:29 PM
Randomhead

I have seen Bilenky put an eccentric bb shell into a bike like this. Need a single speed?