Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-06-2023, 04:13 PM

Trek Domane + SLR 6 -- 6 week review

Thought about posting this in the image thread, but I think this may work better.

Did a quick search and haven’t found a dedicated thread on Trek’s Domane+ SLR, although some good discussion and comments on it in other threads such as this. So here’s my semi-review. TLDR: Great bike for me.

Background
I got a Domane+ SLR6 mid-May after my new friend the cardiologist told me I should limit my efforts to 15 RPE on the Borg scale. More background in this thread if you care….

I wanted something that rode like a real bike and looked like one too. Explored the threads here, here and here plus lots of other research. Not a Specialized guy, so took them off the list early. Corresponded with the Alchemy folks on their e-Ronin based on SteveandBarb’s thread. Thanks to all who PM'd with me about my questions.

Since I had wrenched there about 10 yrs ago and still regularly visit my friends at my LBS Trek shop I talked with them about the Domane+. They were really high on the new TQ motor (vs the prev Fazua) so despite very constrained supply they got one in for me. At first I got a 56 based on geometry and my current setup, but that ended up too small so went with a 58. With very limited supply my choice was the only color available -- matte deep smoke. Didn't think I'd like it, but my wife does and with a few color accents (white saddle/tape, gold chain and some bolts, red cages) it's grown on me.

Components
Thought about 1x, but as an old roadie I’m still a 2x guy. The frame is electronic shifting only, so no mechanical, and Trek doesn’t do a frameset only. So despite being a Campy mechanical guy (although hydro brakes on my Alliance) after playing with AXS and ShimaNo on other bikes there I liked the fishing reel levers better. I chose 105 Di2 12 as I wasn’t sure if I’d want to swap in an EPS grouppo at some point, and the reviews I read on 105 were quite complimentary. Weight was noted, but given that the bike nudges north of 28 lbs that really didn’t matter.

I swapped out the Bontrager Verse Elite saddle for my go-to SMP Dynamic, the really nice Bontrager Bontrager Pro IsoCore VR-SF 44cm bars for my even-nicer Coefficient RR 42s, a 110 Bontrager stem for the same 100 stock stem, and ended up buying a set of Praxis carbon 170 cranks to replace the stock 175s as Trek didn’t quite have their act together on getting them separately.
The tires came set up tubeless w/out sealant (I think the shop would add sealant post-purchase). I swapped out the stock 32mm Bontrager tires for tan-wall 32mm Vittoria Corsa clinchers w/latex tubes (because, Vittoria and tan sidewalls; I’m still thinking about tubulars for this bike).

I think for most shops any swaps would be purchases vs an exchange based on Trek’s business model. At my shop the GM and the fitter who is resident worked out carrying an inventory of the proprietary RCS Pro stem so we were able to do an even exchange swap. More on stem etc later.

The ride
Cut to the chase -- flat out love the bike. Rides just like a road bike should; handles well, tracks well, smooth road feel. Trek has this nailed. The only time I noticed the weight was moving the bike around while not riding and starting from intersections/accelerating hard while moving without the assist. If I didn’t know it was an e-bike I don’t think the handling and ride would reveal that. And the motor is very quiet; not noticeable in a group or windy conditions. When I could hear it on solo rides it wasn’t distracting.

I find I’m using assist, mostly level 1 of 3, about 10-20% of the time, otherwise my own power. I use it primarily a) when I hit a grade that might push me past my HR limits or b) when headwinds would do the same or c) I’m late getting home because I rode farther than planned. Oh, yes, and d) groups if needed (which isn’t always the case).

Did I say how smooth the assist is, both coming in and dropping out? We’ll done – and you can set the ramp level as well as proportional and max assist in the TQ app.

What I like
• Great ride, great handling (geometry here)
• The look of the bike – just like a road bike for the most part. Not a huge fan of the paint options available, but I’m spoiled by custom ti.
• The TQ motor overall. Like the display too which shows the watts you produce and the additional watts added, as well as battery life and other metrics which one can cycle through.
• Much to my quasi-Luddite and Campag-biased chargrin, Shimano 105 Di2 12. I rode a friend’s Moots w/EPS 12, and I wasn’t sure it had anything on it (other than the correct logos and being lighter) than 105. This being my first time with e-shifting I am more impressed than I expected to be. And in reality, 105 is more than adequate for me and my riding.
• The Bontrager Pro37s are quite nice, especially given that I’m a tubular guy.
• The cables are nicely hidden by a cover under the stem before going internal through the fork.

What I don’t like

• Proprietary seat post that makes saddle adjustment on the Trek a pain. Almost impossible to adjust tilt without screwing up fore-aft by loosing the one-bolt completely – and then hammering out the inserts which get bound by tightening the bolt to spec.
• Particular to me, but Trek seemed to spec this more like a gravel bike than road bike: wider bars, longer cranks, shorter stem than I’d like to see.
• Part of the e-bike world, but cranks are limited and e-bike specific. Was surprised that because the cranks freewheel vs being fixed you can’t use oval chainrings as they don’t keep in phase.
• Proprietary stem is a pain to adjust height. The bottom of the clamp is not perpendicular to the steerer and the two-piece proprietary spacers are a pain to adjust and keep the cables inside them. Also, if you run the stem lower w/out trimming the steerer you have to find a special narrow spacer to use before a regular spacer (Trek doesn’t have a solution for that) and then replace the proprietary top cap with a standard one.
• For all the good things I see w/105 Di2 12, the brakes suck compared to my Campy hydros (which are arguably best-in class). Can’t get them to stop squealing despite my best efforts; we’ll see if the shop Shimano expert can do better.

BTW, if you haven't read it, great Velotel thread on the Creo here. (But then, I challenge anyone to point out a Velotel thread that isn't amazing!

So to wrap, given the use case I’m very happy and would buy this bike again in a heartbeat (no pun intended).

Photos to come.

Last edited by teleguy57; 07-06-2023 at 04:17 PM. Reason: first of probably many tweaks and typo corrections