Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-18-2018, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sitzmark View Post
Rich. Cyclists who argue and defend their right to use roadways arguing against pedestrians who have the same rights. Ha!
No one is saying runners dont have a right to use public roads and lanes of travel, just questioning the "perceived right" to run anywhere without regard for their own safety or those around them. Unfortunately the same story applies for much of society, where one's self is the only person who matters.

Both cyclists and runners (and all road users for that matter) have rights AND responsibilites, but they aren't the same for both.
Old 06-18-2018, 08:38 AM

my neighborhood is currently part of a multi-million dollar city-wide effort to have sidewalks installed where none previously existed.

it's just slightly perplexing to see most pedestrians avoiding the brand new swaths of concrete to still use the street.
Old 06-18-2018, 08:47 AM

This

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnhood View Post
I believe the reason is actually the compliance of the tarmac (pavement). Runners often choose the street over the sidewalk as there is less shock since concrete has virtually zero compliance. It might not be a big difference when wearing running shoes however, like seasoned aficionados in every other sport, they can often feel or detect everything. A softer surface is slightly easier on their joints and bones. Of course there is probably other reasons too, as mentioned in this thread.
ran for over 35 years, none of it "jogging", I could feel the difference noticeably even as a young guy. Now after hip surgery (black ice crash) I feel everything more and so prefer dirt trails. Sidewalks were worse than frozen ground in Alaska, and maybe the only thing close was an Air Craft Carrier deck.
jim
Old 06-18-2018, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbicycles View Post
No one is saying runners dont have a right to use public roads and lanes of travel, just questioning the "perceived right" to run anywhere without regard for their own safety or those around them. Unfortunately the same story applies for much of society, where one's self is the only person who matters.

Both cyclists and runners (and all road users for that matter) have rights AND responsibilites, but they aren't the same for both.
Just odd, as I know many automobile drivers/owners who use EXACTLY this same argument for why bicycles should not be on the road.
Old 06-18-2018, 10:10 AM
Old, Fat & Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by sitzmark View Post
Just odd, as I know many automobile drivers/owners who use EXACTLY this same argument for why bicycles should not be on the road.
Funny how that works, ain't it?!

M
Old 06-18-2018, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macadamia View Post
the more confusing thing to me is why they're always going against traffic too
You always run facing traffic so you can step off if need be. Run/walk facing. Ride with.
And yes, concrete is really hard on the joints.

Last edited by makoti; 06-18-2018 at 10:45 AM.
Old 06-18-2018, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnhood View Post
I believe the reason is actually the compliance of the tarmac (pavement). Runners often choose the street over the sidewalk as there is less shock since concrete has virtually zero compliance. It might not be a big difference when wearing running shoes however, like seasoned aficionados in every other sport, they can often feel or detect everything. A softer surface is slightly easier on their joints and bones. Of course there is probably other reasons too, as mentioned in this thread.
This is exactly why. The concrete is ten times harder and you can feel it. I'll choose to run in the grass strips if they are available otherwise it's the pavement. Never concrete unless I must.
Old 06-18-2018, 10:45 AM

I blame Strava.
Old 06-18-2018, 10:48 AM

I dunno, for me the biggest threat (if you could call it that) is coming up on a runner or walker going the same direction as the rider and calling out "On your left" only to have them jump into your path. So I always try to give them more room and yell further back so I can see/adjust to their skittishness. Unless there's no room with cars then it's every man for themselves.
Old 06-18-2018, 10:56 AM
Older Than You

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal Al View Post
I dunno, for me the biggest threat (if you could call it that) is coming up on a runner or walker going the same direction as the rider and calling out "On your left" only to have them jump into your path. So I always try to give them more room and yell further back so I can see/adjust to their skittishness. Unless there's no room with cars then it's every man for themselves.
Too often they have earbuds in their ears listening to music. It would take an atomic blast to get their attention.
Old 06-18-2018, 10:59 AM

this is funny, the world needed this thread for sure.
Old 06-18-2018, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker72 View Post
Too often they have earbuds in their ears listening to music. It would take an atomic blast to get their attention.
Exactly. Honestly it's safer to just blow by them without saying anything. It may scare them but at least they won't flail all over the path like they're being attacked by bees.
Old 06-18-2018, 11:26 AM

“On your left” seems to inspire people to jump to the left- the exact opposite reaction of what is intended.

I’ve stopped using words and started using a bell (spurcycle, which you can hear even above your ted talk or yacht rock or whatever is in your earbuds to insulate you from the world around you).
Old 06-18-2018, 12:17 PM

Runners, scooters, other kind of scooters, boosted boards, skaters, delivery trucks, and bikers going the wrong way, electric bikes going too fast but not fast enough. Cool that some people want to be active we just need huge lanes now with that green paint.
Old 06-18-2018, 12:35 PM

Here's my joke for the day. What's a bike lane? It's that thing in my town that's 1/4 mile long is usually fully of trash. I'm both a cyclist and runner and while I prefer dirt trails to run on, asphalt is a noticeably better surface to run on than concrete.