Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-27-2024, 12:20 PM
ZhugeLiang

Quote:
Originally Posted by donevwil View Post
For whatever reason I can't find this head unit, any chance you could share the model number?
https://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile...-varia-review/

https://www.garmin.com/en-US/p/601468#specs

Last edited by weisan; 03-27-2024 at 12:24 PM.
Old 03-27-2024, 12:41 PM

One more thing about the Varia radar tail light unit. The battery last the longest in the day time flash mode which has to be selected each time you turn it on. Default is always on.
Old 03-27-2024, 12:50 PM

Thank you sir, but that appears to be a discontinued item as it's on the "previous models" page.

Last edited by donevwil; 03-27-2024 at 01:16 PM.
Old 03-27-2024, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadmax View Post
One more thing about the Varia radar tail light unit. The battery last the longest in the day time flash mode which has to be selected each time you turn it on. Default is always on.
I think this depends on what market your Varia was designed for. I take it you are not in the US, or have a non-US market device? Some markets require solid lights. My US-model Varia uses the flash mode as default. I can't recall if I can change this.
Old 03-27-2024, 02:31 PM
Registered (ab)User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadmax View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravelreformist View Post
I think this depends on what market your Varia was designed for. I take it you are not in the US, or have a non-US market device? Some markets require solid lights. My US-model Varia uses the flash mode as default. I can't recall if I can change this.
I'm pretty sure on my wife's Varia (we're in the US, in case that matters) you can scroll through all those different statuses just via multiple taps of the power-on button.
Old 03-27-2024, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
I'm pretty sure on my wife's Varia (we're in the US, in case that matters) you can scroll through all those different statuses just via multiple taps of the power-on button.
This is true. Pressing the button cycles the light options. I use mine with a karoo2 and it has settings that automatically turn on/off the light plus can set it to a preferred light setting.
Old 03-27-2024, 05:11 PM
#RYFB

To an earlier question, I don't have any experience using a Garmin computer but the Varia experience using a Wahoo is pretty much as described by Baron Blubba above. The one thing he didn't mention is that if the car is approaching at a high speed (no idea what the definition of 'high speed' is), it will sound a different alert and the strip on the side of the display will be red rather than orange. Also, on a Wahoo, the LEDs on the top of the device act as alerts in concert with the tones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Blubba View Post
You will then see a little dot, representing the car, appear on the lower right side of your bike computer screen.
At least on Wahoo, whether the strip illustrating the cars is on the left or right is a user setting. I assume this is for whether you ride in a left-hand or right-hand drive country (so kind of surprising, Baron, that yours is set to 'right').
Old 03-27-2024, 06:07 PM

Quote:
I'm in the USA and bought my Varia from Garmin USA.
Old 03-27-2024, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
I have my rear Varia RTL 515 and a Varia UT 800 set up as a light network with my Edge1040. I use some smart light Connect IQ apps that are free. My Edge automatically turns the lights on and they are set at auto mode, so they adjust from blinking to solid depending on ambient light. I never have to touch them.
Old 03-27-2024, 09:36 PM

I'm another Varia proponent.

If you're looking at non-Varia blinking lights, then you can't go wrong with either the Bontrager Flare RT (though battery time may be limited) or the Cygolite Hypershot << this is Death Star bright.
Old 03-28-2024, 04:26 AM

I don't have a Varia, but to follow up on the OP's question, how does the alarm help in practice? Sure, if you would not otherwise hear or see an approaching car, it would be helpful. But, for those of you that have a Varia, do you bail out if the alarm sounds? That doesn't seem practical on roads where there is nowhere to bail but into the ditch. Also, I take it that the alarm sounds for every overtaking vehicle? Thanks.
Old 03-28-2024, 04:54 AM

I’ve been using a Varia since I was hit by a car in 2017, t-boned not from behind. Also 3rd time being hit by a car. It just gives me comfort knowing there is a vehicle approaching from behind. The way the intensity of the light variates when it spots a vehicle approaches getting the drivers attention there is something in front of them is also comforting. I ride where its pretty rural so not a lot of times in a ride does it give me a warning. I could see if I was using it in a high traffic area where it would totally drive me crazy.

I won’t ride without it.
Old 03-28-2024, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djdj View Post
I don't have a Varia, but to follow up on the OP's question, how does the alarm help in practice? Sure, if you would not otherwise hear or see an approaching car, it would be helpful. But, for those of you that have a Varia, do you bail out if the alarm sounds? That doesn't seem practical on roads where there is nowhere to bail but into the ditch. Also, I take it that the alarm sounds for every overtaking vehicle? Thanks.
This was answered a couple of times already in the thread.

In short, a Varia works best on narrow roads without a shoulder and without a consistent stream of traffic. On those roads it allows you to ride in the middle of the lane until it alerts you a car is coming. At that point, if safe to do so, you can move over a bit for the car to pass.

Between the fact that the light changes its blinking pattern for the car as it approaches, plus the fact that you are actively moving over, it seems to greatly improve both the driver's ability to see you, while also making them feel seen/watched as well, which improves their behavior.
Old 03-28-2024, 05:37 AM
Pack fill

Quote:
This was answered a couple of times already in the thread.

In short, a Varia works best on narrow roads without a shoulder and without a consistent stream of traffic. On those roads it allows you to ride in the middle of the lane until it alerts you a car is coming. At that point, if safe to do so, you can move over a bit for the car to pass.

Between the fact that the light changes its blinking pattern for the car as it approaches, plus the fact that you are actively moving over, it seems to greatly improve both the driver's ability to see you, while also making them feel seen/watched as well, which improves their behavior.
The portion that senses the car and changes the blinking pattern or intensity makes sense to me. Is there a version of light that does this only? There are enough distractions ahead of me that I don't necessarily want the computer adding to it.
Old 03-28-2024, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnniecakes View Post
The portion that senses the car and changes the blinking pattern or intensity makes sense to me. Is there a version of light that does this only? There are enough distractions ahead of me that I don't necessarily want the computer adding to it.
While I haven't used one myself, some people on my local group rides do. The beep and lights on the head unit are pretty subtle.