Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 11-15-2021, 01:06 PM

Omg, clearly this IS about the staggering wealth concentrated in the bay area (insert Above Category in 1000 other less prosperous cities)

More staggering are the widespread assumptions being made since last viewing the thread.

The brain cramps with the illogic/logical fallacies...
Old 11-15-2021, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkbrwn View Post
You gotta see GS in the metal. They're wildly different to GS's really quite bad renderings. I have never managed to take a photo of a GS that makes it look as good as it does in real life. I came close with this video of my old SBGR053 though. Look at the way the light reflects from the hour markers and the seconds hand. Wooooooooof! And this level of finishing is in place from the very bottom of the GS lineup which starts at just over $2k. Great value for money.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/FWwFfEygPYkSDAFi6
Rolex fit and finish looks like Swatch compared to GS in the flesh.

Not so say that GS shouldn't do a better job of matching their overall design, scale, aesthetics, and rendered and studio photos to what they look like in the metal. With veblen goods how something looks in pictures is a HUGE incentive for purchase, maybe the biggest reason whey they fetch what they fetch.
Old 11-15-2021, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yinzerniner View Post
Except the bracelets. Holy hell, how has Rolex created such a good bracelet in either the contemporary Oyster or Jubilee where everyone else just phones it in?
Old 11-15-2021, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yinzerniner View Post

Not so say that GS shouldn't do a better job of matching their overall design, scale, aesthetics, and rendered and studio photos to what they look like in the metal. With veblen goods how something looks in pictures is a HUGE incentive for purchase, maybe the biggest reason whey they fetch what they fetch.
Yeah, but those bracelets, as krooj said. Best in the business. Though I like the bracelet on my Santos a lot too.
Old 11-15-2021, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkbrwn View Post
Yeah, but those bracelets, as krooj said. Best in the business. Though I like the bracelet on my Santos a lot too.
Yeah I’d argue that bracelets are more hardware than fit and finish, but indeed they are engineering marvels.

I still find modern bracelets a bit too heavy, give me a Gay Freres or Milanese mesh any day of the week.
Old 11-15-2021, 04:25 PM

While we're on the topic of bracelets, I have a Zenith Chronomaster Sport on order and have heard that the bracelet is utter trash. I love a nice leather or nato strap - any strong recommendations? Maybe Zenith's own alligator deployant clasp?
Old 11-15-2021, 04:36 PM
Administrator

I think this thread is done.
Closed Thread

Tags
conspicuous consumption, veblen goods