Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 11-13-2021, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunkylover53 View Post
This is cycling, speed is everything lol. I get your point, I really do, but people are lying if they say they don’t roll their eyes a bit when they see a slow, inexperienced rider who can barely clip in show up on a top end bike. As far as I can see it, it’s pretty much the emperor has no clothes at this point.
Yep, I roll my eyes a wee bit, bite my tongue and, pre-covid, chat up “that guy” riding the car-priced bike and squeezed into his AC Q36.5 matching kit. That is, until we get to Old La Honda and he let’s me know it is his rest day.

Of course I don’t blame builders who feel compelled to decry “judging” their delicate patrons, though most seem to wryly look the other way. Bite that hand that feeds, and all that.

As for Above Category, ha, short of say a Kiton boutique, I’ve never seen a retail place so dialed into cracking the code of their customers’ wealth and status. That said, some of the guys there do seem to genuinely dig cool stuff.
Old 11-13-2021, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-RICHIE View Post
I come from the sport, but happen to be in the trade too - though more in the margins with each passing new trend - and my experience is in contrast to yours. Judging folks by what they roll on, and how they roll on it? That’s a foreign concept to me.
The real dogs of Marin feel the same. There is incredible talent here both in the youth and in the old regardless what they ride or make. As Neil Young sing, "I could live in a teepee and I could live in a penthouse too". He is still Neil Young

Another point, however, I have seen a connection between or least a type of person being good in a sport that is about endurance and about skillfully picking your moments and making money.

Last edited by joosttx; 11-13-2021 at 02:18 AM.
Old 11-13-2021, 05:55 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
Marin Service Course sold a Wilmer bike to a billionaire for over $30K. Every bearing on the bike was replaced with Ceramic Speed bearings.

Anyone want to wager how tall and what size the owner of AC is and rides?
Chad Nordwall was the originator of AC, not sure he still is the owner. He's pretty small, I think a 55cm would be too big for him.

I worked on that LandShark when he lived in Boulder..just out of the Army, looking for a life partner..couldn't find one, moved to the Bay area..found his lovely bride, and the rest, as they say, is history.
https://abovecategory.com/pages/about-us

Old 11-13-2021, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Man View Post
some people rarely see bikes this expensive and its interesting and evocative. pretending like everyone ought be used to or unimpressed by luxury bikes is a lil pretentious bruh
This is an enthusiast bike forum...bruh
Old 11-13-2021, 07:11 AM
Proud Grandpa

It's all relative

Isn't it? Would I pay $72,000 for a Seiko? Not in any way. Grand Seiko

Would I pay $72,000 for a Rolex? You Betcha. WhiteGold, GMT2
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ima5) cy.jpg (7.7 KB, 302 views)
File Type: jpg Rolex-GMT-Master-II-126719BLRO-White-Gold-Pepsi-Meteorite-review-2.jpg (23.8 KB, 313 views)
Old 11-13-2021, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmrt View Post
Just got an email from Above Category where they list bikes that are in stock and ready for purchase. Some really nice lookers out here. Check it out. BTW, I am not affliliated with AC. I just admire the nice looking bikes they build. If you look closer, you'll see an "old" Baum MTB for just $4000.

https://abovecategory.com/collections/readytoridebikes
Better off buying one of those custom Enve bikes. It even comes with a travel case! ~ $12.5K US.
Old 11-13-2021, 08:37 AM

When did AC first open?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Chad Nordwall was the originator of AC, not sure he still is the owner. He's pretty small, I think a 55cm would be too big for him.

I worked on that LandShark when he lived in Boulder..just out of the Army, looking for a life partner..couldn't find one, moved to the Bay area..found his lovely bride, and the rest, as they say, is history.
https://abovecategory.com/pages/about-us

Old 11-13-2021, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared Purdy View Post
Better off buying one of those custom Enve bikes. It even comes with a travel case! ~ $12.5K US.
The people buying these aren't that interested in the Enve and the slightly lower price point (other than the Baum) won't make much of a difference in the thought process. These are just the bike equivalent of really expensive cars. I don't begrudge the guys driving Ferraris (though I think these are more like Bentlys or Rolls Royces).
Old 11-13-2021, 02:40 PM

Quote:

$72k for a sports model precious metal Rolex goes against the whole idea of a "tool watch". For that kinda cash, you're better off with PP, AP, VC, or ALS.

Side note: I can't wait for the current Rolex insanity to calm down, mostly so I have a hope of buying a BLNR from the AD come my 40th. At least some ADs are sympathetic to special occasion purchases.
Old 11-14-2021, 06:30 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by krooj View Post
$72k for a sports model precious metal Rolex goes against the whole idea of a "tool watch". For that kinda cash, you're better off with PP, AP, VC, or ALS.

Side note: I can't wait for the current Rolex insanity to calm down, mostly so I have a hope of buying a BLNR from the AD come my 40th. At least some ADs are sympathetic to special occasion purchases.
The below doesn't work, care to translate? BTW-my 'tool' watch is a bought new, 1978 GMT Master, stainless..BUT at $70,000 for any watch or bike or....if ya can afford it, ya got that kinda $, it's essentially 'free'..

https://translate.google.com/

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 11-14-2021 at 07:52 AM.
Old 11-14-2021, 07:33 AM

Cycling would be boring if everyone rode CAAD 10's with 105.
Old 11-14-2021, 08:33 AM
Formerly rchman

1:50ish I guess if we're going off newest model year.

Old 11-14-2021, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krooj View Post

That will never happen. The last time a first time purchaser could buy a “sport” Rolex model from an actual dealer without waiting was the mid-90s since they implemented their allocation requirement.

Hate to crush your dreams but your only hope is either going through the grey market hoping for another financial crash like ‘08 when all the bankers were selling their subs for $3k and Daytonas for $6k.
Old 11-14-2021, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yinzerniner View Post
That will never happen. The last time a first time purchaser could buy a “sport” Rolex model from an actual dealer without waiting was the mid-90s since they implemented their allocation requirement.

Hate to crush your dreams but your only hope is either going through the grey market hoping for another financial crash like ‘08 when all the bankers were selling their subs for $3k and Daytonas for $6k.

Waiting is fine - I’ve got 3 years yet. I did actually manage to get a Sub date from an AD within 6 months or asking, back in 2019. Since 2019, things have gotten insane and it’s a good thing I don’t want a Daytona.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-14-2021, 12:35 PM
il Curmudgeoni

Quote:

I wouldn't pay that for either, though I'd be more inclined to pay it for the Grand Seiko. And I have owned both brands.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by krooj

The below doesn't work, care to translate? BTW-my 'tool' watch is a bought new, 1978 GMT Master, stainless..BUT at $70,000 for any watch or bike or....if ya can afford it, ya got that kinda $, it's essentially 'free'..
PP = Patek Philippe
AP = Audemars Piguet
VC = Vacheron Constantin
ALS = A. Lange & Söhne
BLNR = black/blue bezel GMT Master
AD = authorized dealer

Tags
conspicuous consumption, veblen goods