Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-10-2020, 07:45 PM

Mystery bike--help with ID?

I was extremely fortunate to have a very cool, purportedly 1970s Cinelli passed along to me by a member of the Harvard University Cycling Association. He reported the bike had been raced (unsuccessfully, no doubt) against John Allis in the '70s. It doesn't strike me as a Cinelli, though I could be wrong.

The bike either seems to have been repainted with the addition of 531 water transfers--or to have lost the original decals. It has fastback seatstays, distinctive headtube lugs, and clover-shaped lug and bottom bracket shell cutouts. The lugs were clearly carefully shaped and thinned; not amateur work. Campagnolo fork and frame dropouts as well as bottom bracket cable guides. The bottom bracket seems to have been stamped "327626"--suggesting work by a larger/more prolific company/builder? It's built with mostly Nuovo Record, Cinelli stem, bar, and cool pleated leather Unicanitor, and a heavy layer of dust and grime. It appears straight and true, with some corrosion and flaking but no structural issues or dents.

While the patina is impressive, I plan to clean it up with the ultimate direction likely depending on what it is. I'd greatly appreciate any thoughts on what this is (our could be)!

(I have since done significant weeding around the yard.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1070.jpg (133.6 KB, 207 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1068.jpg (94.5 KB, 208 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1069.jpg (84.2 KB, 206 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1064.jpg (75.7 KB, 207 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1065.jpg (94.7 KB, 202 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1067.jpg (121.0 KB, 207 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1072.jpg (77.5 KB, 201 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1075.jpg (123.5 KB, 202 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1077.jpg (76.4 KB, 199 views)
Old 07-10-2020, 07:53 PM

Wait, is this an Eisentraut?!
Old 07-10-2020, 07:57 PM

Has a head on crash or mi wrong?

Cool gift man I would just rescue as mas as posible and then maybe give away the frame.

BTW the lugs have like a T carved, ive seen that shape before but cant remember the name :/ italian tho.
Old 07-10-2020, 07:59 PM

Poor thing...
Old 07-10-2020, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraman6970 View Post
Has a head on crash or mi wrong?

Cool gift man I would just rescue as mas as posible and then maybe give away the frame.

BTW the lugs have like a T carved, ive seen that shape before but cant remember the name :/ italian tho.
Sure looks like it was crashed doesn't it?
Old 07-10-2020, 08:08 PM
il Curmudgeoni

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraman6970 View Post
They look similar to Tommasini cutouts but it's really hard to tell from that angle. I can't tell if they are Ts or three connected circles like the BB cutout.

To the OP, some better shots of the lug cutouts would be helpful.
Old 07-10-2020, 08:09 PM

Wasn't crashed; that's an unfortunate angle and a bubble in the paint where there's a bit of corrosion. Nothing on the other side, no downtube wrinkle, and looks totally straight.
Old 07-10-2020, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by choke View Post
They look similar to Tommasini cutouts but it's really hard to tell from that angle. I can't tell if they are Ts or three connected circles like the BB cutout.

To the OP, some better shots of the lug cutouts would be helpful.
I'll take some additional pictures. Three intersecting circles, not so much like the Tommasini cutouts
Old 07-10-2020, 08:20 PM

The seat and chain stay ends would lead me to think it's English. Other than that, I've got nothing.

Does look like front end damage. Other than that, nice looking work.
Old 07-10-2020, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbcoupe View Post
The seat and chain stay ends would lead me to think it's English. Other than that, I've got nothing.

Does look like front end damage. Other than that, nice looking work.
I'll take better pictures; unfortunate angle in the ones posted that make it look like there's a wrinkle in the top tube (there's not). Thanks for your thoughts!
Old 07-10-2020, 08:40 PM

I swear I've seen that seat lug before.
Old 07-10-2020, 08:43 PM

Hey Dave, glad to see that you are still with us. Are you still in Boston?

Were there braze-on TT brake cable guides or was the frame built for clamps? Seems a bit unusual that it has DT shifter bosses but lacks braze-on brake cable routing. Campagnolo dropouts? Is that a 531 decal on the fork?

I don't see any details that would pin down the builder, but that round hole in the seat lug is something that strikes me as unique/unusual.
Old 07-10-2020, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliver1850 View Post
Hey Dave, glad to see that you are still with us. Are you still in Boston?

Were there braze-on TT brake cable guides or was the frame built for clamps? Seems a bit unusual that it has DT shifter bosses but lacks braze-on brake cable routing. Campagnolo dropouts? Is that a 531 decal on the fork?

I don't see any details that would pin down the builder, but that round hole in the seat lug is something that strikes me as unique/unusual.
Hey! Still in Boston, and will be for the foreseeable future! You as well?

No evidence of cable guides on the top tube--must have been built for clamps, which likely dates it. 531 water transfers on the fork legs and frame. Fork and frame dropouts are Campagnolo, rear look to be 1010(A?). I think I misspoke earlier--I actually don't recall seeing Campagnolo stamped on the cable guides on the BB, another reason making me think this could be an Eisentraut (that, and the head tube lugs and fastback seat stays).
Old 07-10-2020, 09:18 PM
il Curmudgeoni

The head tube lugs are Prugnat, like in this Hurlow. https://www.facebook.com/HilaryStone...5467280710787/

And this Holdsworth. http://www.nkilgariff.com/HoldsModel...perMistral.htm

Here's a similar seat lug on a different Hurlow. http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/vie...?f=22&t=174794

I'm not saying that it's a Hurlow though, as the other details....cutouts on lugs, BB cutout, don't match. It's possible that the seat lug came with the hole.

It does make one think that it could be English though.

Last edited by choke; 07-10-2020 at 09:21 PM.
Old 07-10-2020, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dziehr View Post
Hey! Still in Boston, and will be for the foreseeable future! You as well?

No evidence of cable guides on the top tube--must have been built for clamps, which likely dates it. 531 water transfers on the fork legs and frame. Fork and frame dropouts are Campagnolo, rear look to be 1010(A?). I think I misspoke earlier--I actually don't recall seeing Campagnolo stamped on the cable guides on the BB, another reason making me think this could be an Eisentraut (that, and the head tube lugs and fastback seat stays).
No, though I'd like to visit family sites (from 250 years ago) in the area before I croak. I bought some parts from you around 10 years ago at the Madison swap meet.

I agree about the fastback stays being another possible clue. I'd put the frame in the late 70s time frame based on the details. Fastback stays weren't very common. I have a Bob Jackson frame that is similar in having fastback stays/clamp brake cable routing/braze on DT shifter bosses, but I haven't been able to pin down year of production. Guessing late 70s.

Hope that it turns out that you have an Eisentraut, would be a nice find.