Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 07-10-2020, 07:06 PM
50 bpm

Masks ...

OK, so we had a situation today that I thought I'd pass on. We have a policy that you have to wear a mask in the store. A woman came in with her son today to get free basic service on a bike she bought from us. They weren't wearing masks. I asked that she wear one and she shot back. "No. Medical exemption. I don't have to."

We hadn't considered that possibility, so I called the main office to discuss. We have decided to require masks, period -- and offering curbside service for those with medical exemptions. (Our store in Durham does only curbside because of local ordinance.)

I'm curious what others of you in shops are doing.

BTW, we are still crazy busy and limiting our store to 10 customers at a time.

BTW BTW, let's not make this political.
Old 07-10-2020, 07:10 PM
ZhugeLiang

Quote:
We have decided to require masks, period -- and offering curbside service for those with medical exemptions.
I think that's a good approach.
Old 07-10-2020, 07:16 PM
Administrator

woman is a self-centered jerk, and i would have refused to provide any service, and asked her to leave immediately.

it's not political in the least, common decency suggests that you follow the rules for the establishment you are visiting.

beach town establishments have forever enforced the "no shoes, no shirt, no service" policy, when it's perfectly legal to walk around town barefoot. shop owners decision and i'd stick to it.
Old 07-10-2020, 07:28 PM

have her bring a document from her physician

or her political party...then decide.

140,000 dead Americans. when was the last time that happened? 3000 in 9/11 and we were freaked about that. where's the freak out now?
140,000!!!!! get it?
Old 07-10-2020, 07:33 PM

7 posts before this gets shut down?

Offering the curbside is a good alternative to avoid a video on instagram/facebook.

I'd like to say I just don't get why people do this, but it doesn't take much to get it.
Old 07-10-2020, 07:43 PM

The local Trek Superstore (ABQ) will not let anyone in without a mask no matter what.

Great policy.
Old 07-10-2020, 07:45 PM
Hrmm

I don't work in a shop but have visited one and was surprised at the guys lax view on the whole pandemic/public safety issue. He had his lunch hanging out at the register where people went up to pay.

Maybe not allow people in by appointment only and have them agree to wear masks prior to appointment?

Appointment can be interpreted loosely to a wait outside and we'll figure it out kind of thing? Not sure if you have that option.

I'm sure some people will still feel the need to flex their ego and/or get upset at something you do regardless. Its all about treading that fine line.
Old 07-10-2020, 07:48 PM
aka RAEKWON

I went to a gas station store just last week and 6 people in there, tiny store, I was the only one with a mask. People don't care about other people? ok, the numbers will keep going up.

That gas station does not require masks, I know why, if they did they would loose some clients, I have seen a lot of ****ery up here, most people are being good but a lot of nay sayers/this is a liberal hoax.

But if it is store policy, which I wish it was everywhere, if you don't have a mask, either show me a physitians note or goodbye
Old 07-10-2020, 07:57 PM

Store policy is store policy. There are real problems that exist such as asthma and copd that would constitute not wearing a mask. I personally am asthmatic and have a tough time breathing when something is restricting my airway, but would respect the shop by not frequenting or spending my money there.

I am a contractor by trade and well before this whole Covid thing couldn’t really wear a mask while sheet rocking, demolishing buildings or even when I used to load hay trucks. Probably didn’t do any favors for my lungs in the long term.
Of course neither did the cigarettes I used to smoke.

The lady in question could have handled the interaction with more respect to the shop. Fact is that if a privately owned shop wants you to mask up that is up to them. My LBS isn’t too concerned with it and there certainly hasn’t been an outbreak or a cluster coming from there although they have had a banner year and are busier than ever. Everybody is healthy and working regularly. I also assume that the OP’a shop is in more densely populated area than the one I frequent. Obviously it depends on where you live and how they enforce it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-10-2020, 08:13 PM

They aren't your customer, give 'em the boot and don't look back. You're a private organization and you set the rules. These "sovereign citizens" need a serious reality check

I have to wear a stupid mask all day, so does the customer...period. Disrespectful to other customers and employees. Been down that road several times and haven't budged. You get asked to leave and no service. You can always call in and buy with a CC and we'll put your order in the airlock

Part of me wants to ask that if there is this random medical problem that is so severe that it negates their need for a mask during a pandemic...what are they doing in public and why don't they just go ahead ahead and check into an ICU?

Common denominator I've noticed with the non mask wearers in the store...bro-dozers, afflicted tees, saggy tattoos and looking for confrontation, just saying. Pretty sure most retail employees are pretty sick of these folks as the game has become highly annoying
Old 07-10-2020, 08:20 PM

this is Michigan Stadium, it holds 107,000 people

think of all those dead people + 33% more. think about that when you think about whether or not to wear a mask. you will when it's someone you know or someone you love.

https://wsbt.com/sports/content/iris...chigan-stadium
Old 07-10-2020, 08:24 PM
quadropheniac

Even if she does have a Med exemption card with her, she leaves the store, along with the kid and you can deal with them outside or they can go elsewhere, as you are responsible for the safety of your employees and she is placing them at risk.

My youngest kid is working at a golf course concession stand this Summer and masks are mandatory when a golfer enters the stand. He’s had two or three a holes raise a fuss when politely asked to leave or get a mask, but people in general have been very good about paying attention. The ones that raised a fuss were told that if they would like to advance the conversation, it will be with a police officer, as the golf course is owned by the County park system.
Old 07-10-2020, 08:33 PM

You handled it correctly.

You offered her a reasonable accommodation, which is all that is required when a person actually has a disability or medical condition apart from being ignorant. If she didn’t believe the accommodation you offered was sufficient, you could have told her that it’s a free country, and she was free to take her business elsewhere.

My LBS is not allowing people inside — everything is curbside and masks are required before staff interacts with customers through the door, which is unlocked only for that purpose. The shop is mostly doing repairs right now as inventory is pretty depleted and there aren’t many bikes available to sell. There apparently have been a few morons who have bitched about their civil liberties being impaired. You just can’t fix stupid.
Old 07-10-2020, 08:36 PM

Most of the medical exemptions would be based on respiratory illness, precisely the folks who should stay out of public spaces. So unless her bike issue is life or death, she should be managed curbside or not at all.
Old 07-10-2020, 08:45 PM

There are no medical exemptions.

- a pulmonary and critical care physician
Closed Thread