Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-10-2020, 04:46 PM

A few Colnago Master Questions

Building up a new bike, the frame is new.

1. What size is the seatpost? The 27.2 seatpost I have is not going nicely. I can get it in to the minimum but thats about it. I don't want to really ram it in. I am also having a hard time getting it out. Is this normal? I tried a 25.4 and that stops half way down. Is it because of the tubing shape? What to do?

2. How far in should you be able to get the wheel into the rear dropouts. I can hardly get them in at all. The non drive side goes in a little more then the other side, but the screw that holds them in place is not even long enough to reach. I'm thinking they should be going in a little more

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Old 07-10-2020, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herder View Post
1. What size is the seatpost? The 27.2 seatpost I have is not going nicely. I can get it in to the minimum but thats about it. I don't want to really ram it in. I am also having a hard time getting it out. Is this normal? I tried a 25.4 and that stops half way down. Is it because of the tubing shape? What to do?
Mine was a 27.2mm post. I will state the obvious that the seat post will stop where the tube begins to be shaped and not round and it's not that far. You will most likely have to cut the post. I did. #2 question is for someone that is smart about that.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Colnago Master seat tube.jpg (143.5 KB, 186 views)

Last edited by tbike4; 07-10-2020 at 05:12 PM.
Old 07-10-2020, 05:22 PM

My mid-nineties Master Piu with Gilco tubing takes a 27.2 mm.

(I assumed you applied liberal amounts of grease, and then some twisting is required. It's easier if you have the saddle installed already.)

My seat post is a mid 90's Chorus aluminum post, not one of the modern 350 mm length models.

My wheel slides in all the way to the back of the drop outs. No issues. (My dropout pins/screws are as far forward as possible.)

Last edited by old_fat_and_slow; 07-10-2020 at 05:27 PM.
Old 07-10-2020, 06:15 PM

My 84 Master is 27.2 as well as my 2000 Classic. Are the tabs for the seatpost bolt pinched together more than usual?
Old 07-10-2020, 06:20 PM

As noted above, the seat post won't slide down into the crimped part of the tube. I had to rim a seat post that was a bit too long for a Master.
Old 07-10-2020, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Building up a new bike, the frame is new.

2. How far in should you be able to get the wheel into the rear dropouts. I can hardly get them in at all. The non drive side goes in a little more then the other side, but the screw that holds them in place is not even long enough to reach. I'm thinking they should be going in a little more

Any suggestions?

Thanks
I suggest taking the frame to a high end shop that deals w/ steel racing bikes and ask them what is going on. Whatever it costs it´s the best way to know exactly *** is going on w/ the stays that won´t allow a wheel in.
Old 07-10-2020, 06:29 PM

27.2 post. You may have to ream the seat tube, this is a common process on assembly of bikes like this (as is chasing/facing BB shell and headtube)
Be careful not to insert seatpost too far as to damage the crimping on the seat tube.

Based on the questions you’re asking, it might be prudent to take the bike to a shop and have them advise you on assembly.
Old 07-10-2020, 07:22 PM

Seatpost should be okay. its tight but I can get it in a few inches. Definitely didn't try pushing it where the tube changes. The seatpost shows like 3.5 inches as minimum insertion. Is that the real minimum?

I guess I'll ask the seller about the dropouts. It could be the paint and chrome as it didn't look good when I got it. I took calipers to it and looks like its around .3mm smaller then I need.

Don't want to take it to anyone if I don't have to. Where is the fun in that lol

Thanks for the help
Old 07-10-2020, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colker View Post
I suggest taking the frame to a high end shop that deals w/ steel racing bikes and ask them what is going on.
^This. When I was building mine I did exactly that. New headset installed. Had my beautiful new VO post cut and sanded in no time so it would fit. When the shop is building a bunch of steel frames you know they are going to get it done right.
Old 07-11-2020, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Seatpost should be okay. its tight but I can get it in a few inches. Definitely didn't try pushing it where the tube changes. The seatpost shows like 3.5 inches as minimum insertion. Is that the real minimum?

I guess I'll ask the seller about the dropouts. It could be the paint and chrome as it didn't look good when I got it. I took calipers to it and looks like its around .3mm smaller then I need.

Don't want to take it to anyone if I don't have to. Where is the fun in that lol

Thanks for the help
I would check drop out alignment as well. Ime most(not all) of new frames arrive w/ misaligned dropouts.
Old 07-11-2020, 12:45 PM

Thanks I got it. I cut the seatpost short, its goes in 3 inches, tight but doable

The dropouts were just the paint. I was advised to gently file the paint off in the dropouts and it worked. It was just because the dropouts are chromed and then painted after. Just too much paint.

All good

Thanks
Old 07-11-2020, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Thanks I got it. I cut the seatpost short, its goes in 3 inches, tight but doable

The dropouts were just the paint. I was advised to gently file the paint off in the dropouts and it worked. It was just because the dropouts are chromed and then painted after. Just too much paint.

All good

Thanks
If it´s the first time the frame is being built... i would check drop out alignment w/ a park tool. Maybe even Ernesto Colnago would agree.
Old 07-11-2020, 02:41 PM

Agree with others. If as you say it's a new frame, take it back to the shop where you bought it, and make them figure out the problem.