Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-10-2020, 12:48 PM

Irrational desire to own Peg "Round"

Ever since I saw that Texas Flood paint scheme and those BLE like chainstays I've been smitten. Badly.
Obsessed I believe is the word I'm looking for. I saw one in the flesh a few weeks ago which only poured gas on the fire...…

I don't need one. I've already got a Peg MxxxxxO, a Speedvagen, Moots SL, Scandium Zank and a Hampsten Strada Bianca. 5 is plenty and they cover all my riding needs (I am a roadie, not a groadie). Still I WANT one.

6 large is a lot for a frameset, add a Record 12 group and some WTO 45's and cockpit and your easily at 10K for a bike. My fiscal responsibility says NO. Still I WANT one.

I'm hoping that if I hold out long enough the desire will fade and I can move on.

It's bugging me, I've looked at the Peg website an unhealthy number of times. Anyone else suffering along with me? It can be any bike really, I'm sure some of you are in the same boat?

Next to the Round is a Bixxis Pathos. Want one of those real bad too.
Old 07-10-2020, 02:01 PM

Irrational desire to own Peg "Round"

I could try to talk you down. There’s probably a bunch of overlap with your Marcelo. The dropout junction isn’t visually appealing with the welds there, and neither are the overly thicc chainstays. Unless you’re a heavy rider who pushes 1000W+ sprints, it’s probably not a good match. It’ll be heavier for a steel bike of that construction type. For the money I’d rather have a Day Is Done or a Sachs, material notwithstanding.
Old 07-10-2020, 02:17 PM

To make matters worse and increase the lust
https://www.cyclefit.co.uk/journal/p...s-first-review
Old 07-10-2020, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colker View Post
To make matters worse and increase the lust
https://www.cyclefit.co.uk/journal/p...s-first-review
Thanks for sharing that. And you are correct; just made matters worse and increased the lust.
Old 07-10-2020, 03:06 PM

I really can't imagine how they've improved on the Responsorium, as that is an incredible frame, but I am intrigued by these. One day maybe...
Old 07-10-2020, 03:40 PM

If I had the means I would love one! Having had a MxxxxxO, Duende cx and Responsorium I have always lusted after a BLE and this just takes it up a notch!

I have put my bike lust aside with another child due in September, but if we were not expecting I would probably be putting money and parts aside for one of these! I can only imagine how direct the power transfer must be with those massive stays!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-10-2020, 03:46 PM

I think you mean “completely rational...”
Old 07-10-2020, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilltopperny View Post
If I had the means I would love one! Having had a MxxxxxO, Duende cx and Responsorium I have always lusted after a BLE and this just takes it up a notch!

I have put my bike lust aside with another child due in September, but if we were not expecting I would probably be putting money and parts aside for one of these! I can only imagine how direct the power transfer must be with those massive stays!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Review of the bike mentions absolute power transfer w/ phenomenal comfort. Descriptions like this open any wallet.
Old 07-10-2020, 04:07 PM

Peg

I have never owned a Pegoretti and likely never will.
I guess I don't see that much "magic" or value in a stock steel frame that costs 6k.

I am not a "steel guy" anymore- But if I was, there are a bunch of guys I would have build me a custom frame before I sprung for a Pegoretti.

Scarab, Steve Rex, Falconer, Belle Cycles, Legor Cicli come to mind.
Old 07-10-2020, 04:15 PM

Haven’t tried a Round and I’m not sure it would be that big a difference than the Marcelo but your second choice Bixxis is a fine go fast bike.
Doriano does beautiful work and a custom is almost half of the round with seatpost and headset. I loved mine
Old 07-10-2020, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryun View Post
Haven’t tried a Round and I’m not sure it would be that big a difference than the Marcelo but your second choice Bixxis is a fine go fast bike.
Doriano does beautiful work and a custom is almost half of the round with seatpost and headset. I loved mine
$4600 is a lot more than half, a little over a thousand less than a Round.
No matter I want them both.

There's no rational behind my bike lust; I don't expect it to be heads above my Marcelo. I'm sure it would exceed my riding ability by a country mile but I dig the paint, the stays and the whole thing. I'm a Peg junky anyhow so there's that.

I loved the Pathos you had Ryun, (along with all of your bikes) and hope you get another one in the future. It was arguably my favorite behind the HSS Firefly.

I want a Love #3 too but I digress.

Last edited by Jimbo251; 07-10-2020 at 06:05 PM.
Old 07-10-2020, 05:20 PM

I hear you. I had a Responsorium and I never should have sold it. I have a Love #3 and I don’t think I will let it go anytime soon - even with the new ones coming.

The price of the new Round and Love 3 is a solid bit of coin. These days, there are a lot of fish in the sea for less.

This is coming from a Peg fan.
Old 07-10-2020, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John H. View Post
I have never owned a Pegoretti and likely never will.
I guess I don't see that much "magic" or value in a stock steel frame that costs 6k.

I am not a "steel guy" anymore- But if I was, there are a bunch of guys I would have build me a custom frame before I sprung for a Pegoretti.

Scarab, Steve Rex, Falconer, Belle Cycles, Legor Cicli come to mind.
When you want a Pegoretti there is no substitute nor rational reason to stop the want. The builders you mentioned are outstanding though and any bike from them will be wonderfull.
Old 07-10-2020, 05:47 PM

I've had my BLE since late 2006. When it got new paint about six years ago, I had a FD brazeon added since the FD clamp is where I had paint issues. It rides great, like a quicker Merckx MXL (which I have as well). Last year I replaced the Reynolds Ouzo with a Falz which a nice fork and aesthetically matches the big tubes of the BLE.
Old 07-10-2020, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobuseri View Post
I hear you. I had a Responsorium and I never should have sold it. I have a Love #3 and I don’t think I will let it go anytime soon - even with the new ones coming.

The price of the new Round and Love 3 is a solid bit of coin. These days, there are a lot of fish in the sea for less.

This is coming from a Peg fan.
You are correct, they are not cheap, and there are a lot of fish in the sea. But, what pulls at your heart strings does just that. There's nothing justifiable or logical about it. I could get a Ti Firefly for a lot less, but I want that Round real bad...….