Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-10-2020, 02:19 PM
ZhugeLiang

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
See above Interested to know your highlights of the area. I can’t wait.
Are you flying in or driving?
Old 07-10-2020, 02:46 PM

I have ridden everything on your list, and they are all very good areas and rides.

Of course everyone is different, but my favorites are the Cherohala Skyway loop and the Monterey Bluegrass loop. Unfortunately the Cherohala loop will be about 110 miles, but it's truly an epic ride and absolutely gorgeous. Since you will riding the Tail of the Dragon, it's far better to ride in a group. In fact the best way is to ride the actual event - which is usually in June each year. You will ride flatlands, the mountains, and everything in between.

The Blue Grass loop, which you can ride the loop only which is about 25 miles, or add in a couple or three (or more) mountain passes for 50, 70, even 100 miles (routes on Mountain Mama website). On a pretty day with a breeze, that Blue Grass valley is just gorgeous. And it's a fairly easy ride.

Cades Cove is also unique, and beautiful, though not all that big. I usually park off the Tail of the Dragon (Hwy 129) and ride up Parson Branch Rd, then down into Cades Cove. Parson is gravel, and has a healthy climb and descent. You will be better off with a mtb, it's probably a little too much for a gravel bike.

Last edited by rnhood; 07-10-2020 at 02:50 PM.
Old 07-10-2020, 02:54 PM

If doing the tail of the dragon I would highly recommend going very early or late (after 5 to 6pm)

Unless you like being buzzed by people going way too fast in all sorts of vehicles.

Id argue it’s probably one of the most dangerous roads you could pick pretty much anywhere riding on a bike.

Parsons is currently pretty choppy with many downed trees, at least that is what I was told by my father that rode it on Wednesday.
Old 07-10-2020, 03:43 PM

Burnsville, NC

Have stayed there many times. Done Mt Mitchell from there also an awesome century over Roan Mountain into Tenn. and back over Iron Mountain.Have cue sheet if you want. Called Roan Mt. fat burner. 10,000 feet of climbing. Great riding from Burnsville.
Old 07-10-2020, 04:24 PM

Riding the Blue Ridge Parkway isn’t that much fun. Riding around the Blue Ridge Parkway is awesome if you like the climb and enjoy the woods. It’s a little more difficult than “painhurst” and the weather typically isn’t as good. Plus it’s a lot easier to get lost.
Old 07-10-2020, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
Riding the Blue Ridge Parkway isn’t that much fun. Riding around the Blue Ridge Parkway is awesome if you like the climb and enjoy the woods. It’s a little more difficult than “painhurst” and the weather typically isn’t as good. Plus it’s a lot easier to get lost.
Agree there, the humidity and unpredictable rain make things exciting, and I bought a garmin 530 while here to avoid disappearing for good. Cell phone service is pretty much nonexistent everywhere I’ve ridden...

60 miles feels like a hundred most the times, plan accordingly!
Old 07-10-2020, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisan View Post
Are you flying in or driving?
Flying.
Old 07-10-2020, 11:55 PM

Oh man back when I could push a 42/ 25

Enjoy your ride
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200711_004909.jpg (92.1 KB, 106 views)
Old 07-10-2020, 11:59 PM

BTW those were the PDM bottles I had which turned to dust in my hands after being in a closet for years
Old 07-11-2020, 09:03 AM

The area around blue grass VA has great dirt and gravel riding. Not far from Monterey. Doable on big 28s or 32s. You can loop around to WV 28 and climb upper north fork road / county 19 over the state line if you want a crazy dirt climb.

That’s a really beautiful part of the world. I’ve toured through twice. Even the major roads like 220 are fun. Believe I hit my land-speed record on 39 going eastbound from warm springs.
Old 07-11-2020, 09:32 AM

Agree the Dragon is a nervous ride with all the traffic. Skyway, Roan and Sams Gap are all great riding but liked Folk Art Center to Mt Mitchell and back the best, lots of traffic but seems enough riders on the road to keep the motorists awake. Best to ride in a group, use lots of lights if alone.
Old 07-11-2020, 10:07 AM

I live a few hours away from there and escape for day trips a few times a year. Greenville also has some incredible riding. If you have some extra time, cross the routes off your list then just go explore on a bike. Asheville, as a town, loves cyclists and are super accommodating.
Old 07-11-2020, 12:43 PM

If there are tunnels on your route, get a strong front light, and a back light of course. The tunnels are not lit and often are curved so parts are pitch black. I found them a bit disorienting with a weak light on descents.
Old 07-11-2020, 01:10 PM

If you get far enough north, Devils Backbone Brewery to Montebello, then down Parkway to Reeds gap, then back to the Brewery.
I’m not a giant fan o their beers, but they’re not bad, and AB sent a fortune making the place look good.

Just got back from Reddish Knob near Harrisonberg, amazing virws into Wva including Green Bank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-11-2020, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glepore View Post
If you get far enough north, Devils Backbone Brewery to Montebello, then down Parkway to Reeds gap, then back to the Brewery.
I’m not a giant fan o their beers, but they’re not bad, and AB sent a fortune making the place look good.

Just got back from Reddish Knob near Harrisonberg, amazing virws into Wva including Green Bank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Damn. This is why we ride, and why I want to visit the area. I would say you're a "lucky bastard," but I live in the Bay Area. So, I'm gonna call us "even."