Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 07-10-2020, 05:19 PM
Vendor

OP, that sucks. My brother was close to buying one last year, but went with a Stigmata instead. Hope it works out.
Old 07-10-2020, 05:31 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato coupe View Post
I didn't say it would solve your problem.

Re-reading your first post, you stated you now have a 1x setup and no longer have chain suck. Is that correct?
Yeah. 1x has been great except I prefer 2x but rather have a working bike. If you read the site and comments you will learn that both owners are very much about 1x. Of course this is my opinion but i think 2x on that bike was an after thought.
Old 07-10-2020, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
Hambibi can be blunt for sure but to be honest he has done this with a ton of brands so not sure he has a vendetta against a single brand. He likes look for example and everyone knows how well built those bikes are so I believe some of his rants. As far as the color scheme, its all personal preference for sure but I think he was just kidding that it looked like a disney blanket.
Yeah, he does not seem to like anything! The one thing I don't think is fair is to generalize an entire brand based upon a single sample size.
Old 07-10-2020, 05:41 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by fignon's barber View Post
This is a good tidbit of info. Made it worth wading through 3 pages of troll-response, troll-response. Thank you.
I need to listen to that podcast, interested now.

As far as the troll responses, as you can see, I am in an excellent mood today
Old 07-10-2020, 05:42 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by vespasianus View Post
Yeah, he does not seem to like anything! The one thing I don't think is fair is to generalize an entire brand based upon a single sample size.
I agree with that sentiment and trust me, when I was having all those chain suck issues I kept quite and thought, hey maybe its me, or maybe its this specific combo of components. Only when they told me that they have others complain of the same thing I was like, wait so yall know about this but don't post about it anywhere?
Old 07-10-2020, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vespasianus View Post
Hambini is an engineer. He points out mechanical flaws. Engineering is either good or it´s not.
If one sample is bad it means QC svcks. The frame in the video has very bad bb tolerances and it should not pass through QC even if it costs 10x less.
I won´t even go into the voids on the carbon since i did not see any proof even if i believe it´s there.
Old 07-10-2020, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colker View Post
Hambini is an engineer. He points out mechanical flaws. Engineering is either good or it´s not.
If one sample is bad it means QC svcks. The frame in the video has very bad bb tolerances and it should not pass through QC even if it costs 10x less.
Actually, it's not clear that the bottom bracket is out of spec, if you reference the specs as defined by FSA. The tolerances that Hambini quotes in his video apply to one side of the bottom bracket. The specs on the other side are quite a bit more lax. The concentricity of the two sides seems to just squeak by.
Old 07-10-2020, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Actually, it's not clear that the bottom bracket is out of spec, if you reference the specs as defined by FSA. The tolerances that Hambini quotes in his video apply to one side of the bottom bracket. The specs on the other side are quite a bit more lax. The concentricity of the two sides seems to just squeak by.
I saw a BB shell out of spec at both ends. Badly out of spec at one of the ends. No way that frame should leave any shop to the hands of any rider.
Old 07-10-2020, 06:31 PM

"I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada at Trader Vics"

Sorry, Friday night...
Old 07-10-2020, 06:34 PM

Quote:
I won´t even go into the voids on the carbon since i did not see any proof even if i believe it´s there.
Hambini is an engineer, but he's sure not an economist. A Shimano bottom bracket costs about $20. A Hambini bottom bracket costs about $300. Shimano bottom brackets work very well for most people. Even if I believe most of his statements on engineering, I'm still not convinced any company should listen to what he says.
Old 07-10-2020, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototoast View Post
Hambini is an engineer, but he's sure not an economist. A Shimano bottom bracket costs about $20. A Hambini bottom bracket costs about $300. Shimano bottom brackets work very well for most people. Even if I believe most of his statements on engineering, I'm still not convinced any company should listen to what he says.
Most of his videos are about the frames where his BB go or cranksets that also go on his BB. His pet peeve is sram cranksets... not shimano BB.
Old 07-10-2020, 06:39 PM

Podcast

This is the podcast.

http://thegravelride.bike/ruckus-com...sk-the-experts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fignon's barber View Post
This is a good tidbit of info. Made it worth wading through 3 pages of troll-response, troll-response. Thank you.
Old 07-10-2020, 06:44 PM

Quote:
I saw a BB shell out of spec at both ends. Badly out of spec at one of the ends. No way that frame should leave any shop to the hands of any rider.
Out of spec based on the tolerances Hambini quotes, or by the tolerances specified by FSA?
Old 07-10-2020, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Out of spec based on the tolerances Hambini quotes, or by the tolerances specified by FSA?
Based on the test he did on camera when he showed one side was too tight while the other was too large . Watch the video.. Did you? Anyways i am done here. Keep the good work.
Old 07-10-2020, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Based on the test he did on camera when he showed one side was too tight while the other was too large . Watch the video.. Did you?
Yes, I watched the video. He quotes the bottom bracket internal diameter as 45.95-46.00, and proceeds to test that with four gages that measure 45.96, 45.98, 46.00, and 46.02, so his gages don't have enough range to check the lower limit.

FSA specs the internal diameter as 46.00 +0.00, -0.05 on one side, but 46.0 ±.0.2 on the other with a concentricity of 0.1.
Closed Thread