Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 07-10-2020, 02:01 PM

Is the dent similar to ovalizing the head tube?
Old 07-10-2020, 02:17 PM

warranties that don't mean much - OPEN U.P.?

I’ve had problems with my UP dropping chains (I think also due to chain suck) as well and now have a nicely scarred BB shell to prove it. My bike was built up with 2x axs force so there was more to it than just needing a derailleur with a clutch or dampening mech. I already knew that the shop that built it did a crappy job so I wasn’t surprised that they didn’t set up the front derailleur properly.

So, I took it to another shop and they addressed the problem by modifying one of the wedges that come with the etap front derailleur. I’ve done one rough gravel ride since the mod and it shifted perfectly without dropping the chain. It will take a few more rides before I’d say it’s 100% sorted but I’m confident at this point.

Regarding Hambini, I couldn’t get past 8 minutes of that video. But, isn’t there always going to be some number of products that are out of tolerance and not caught by the QA/QC inspection/testing process? Open is just the latest brand to be pilloried by him.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My blog and Instagram

Last edited by m_moses; 07-10-2020 at 04:34 PM. Reason: Clarity
Old 07-10-2020, 02:32 PM

Open MIND

I think with most carbon bikes, there are ones that are good in terms of manufacturing- I.E. frame comes out of the mold nicely, few voids, and all holes to spec, and there are frames that are bad- Like this Open.

Other than the finish chipping easily, my Open has been great. I am still on the original BB and headset bearings and the bike rides great.
Old 07-10-2020, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
lol. If you read my posts properly.

Did not ask for a warranty replacement because of drop chains. Wish they would update their site with info they provided me which was, don't run a group without clutch RD. So its a known thing that this happens to a lot of people but how would someone find out?

2. Its not a small dent, if you look at the pictures, the tube is now ovalized and there is a space between the post and the tube (last picture), enough for water to get through it. Also there is a small dent sure which is not normal on any carbon bikes I ever had. Also you are accusing me of over tighting, do you work for OPEN? I have tighted that post maybe 4-5 times since I bought the frame, always to 4 or so nm, never even close to 5nm which is the max. Again, using a very nice torque wrench. And then again, I never asked for a warranty replacement, I just wanted a guanratee that if it eventually something happens that they will stand behind it. FUnny enough I found someone in the comments on the OPEN site that has had the same problem and we are probably not the only ones.

No slip which is why I just decided to keep ridding it and deal with it if eventually something happens to it.
i figured as much, my BMC did the same thing.
Old 07-10-2020, 02:50 PM
ergottWheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato coupe View Post
Regardless, you seem to think the dropped chains are caused by the frame?
Absolutely can cause dropped chains if that area isn't stiff enough. If they require a clutch in order to run a double then that's highly suspect to me. Sounds like there's a lot of flex going on, they know it, and came up with a bandaid fix that's up to the end user to deal with.
Old 07-10-2020, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergott View Post
Absolutely can cause dropped chains if that area isn't stiff enough. If they require a clutch in order to run a double then that's highly suspect to me. Sounds like there's a lot of flex going on, they know it, and came up with a bandaid fix that's up to the end user to deal with.
Do you think that the bottom bracket on an Open U.P. is more flexible than a "traditional" steel frame? I've had many steel frames - some that were total noodles - but never had chain drop issues.
Old 07-10-2020, 03:07 PM
ergottWheels

I haven't worked on that bike, but I have for sure seen bikes that flex enough to cause a dropped chain if shifting under power. Older bikes also had groups with more tolerance than today's 11 and 12 speed groups. There's just no room in modern shifting for a really flexy design. Again I don't know about this particular bike, but I have seen it.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Old 07-10-2020, 03:10 PM
aka RAEKWON

I said chain drop but what I meant was chain suck. The chain would get caught under the dropped chainstay which I don't think it helped, any bounce and there it went. Why I think they recommend a clutch derailleur. Chain drop is an easy fix but chain suck is not as simple as just putting a chain catcher.
Old 07-10-2020, 03:12 PM

no disrespect to the OP I just want to share that I'm still stoked with my U.P.

i'm the 2nd owner of a 2017(Original U.P.?) And the bike delivers in spades.

Yeah, the BB is stupid(at least not full on Cervelo non-sense) especially for a frame at this price point but has been pretty flawless with the White Industry GR30 build.

I'm in the process of upgrading it to 2x and looking forward to taking the performance up a couple of clicks. Having read this I will be looking at the frame more carefully than I may have had I not read your post.

As for CS at Open.
I've had 3 or 4 conversations with Gerard and one with Andy. Both have been easy to reach and responsive with thorough answers to my questions and supportive suggestions that have helped with upgrades. I realize that I havn't been dealing with them regarding problems so maybe the tone could change with the circumstances.
Old 07-10-2020, 03:14 PM

That was a complaint of the 3T Stradas of Aqua Blue I believe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergott View Post
Old 07-10-2020, 03:15 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuda View Post
no disrespect to the OP I just want to share that I'm still stoked with my U.P.

i'm the 2nd owner of a 2017(Original U.P.?) And the bike delivers in spades.

Yeah, the BB is stupid(at least not full on Cervelo non-sense) especially for a frame at this price point but has been pretty flawless with the White Industry GR30 build.

I'm in the process of upgrading it to 2x and looking forward to taking the performance up a couple of clicks. Having read this I will be looking at the frame more carefully than I may have had I not read your post.

As for CS at Open.
I've had 3 or 4 conversations with Gerard and one with Andy. Both have been easy to reach and responsive with thorough answers to my questions and supportive suggestions that have helped with upgrades. I realize that I havn't been dealing with them regarding problems so maybe the tone could change with the circumstances.

I say stay at 34T minimum, 32T is way too close for comfort... I had problems with both but it was much better with the 34T.

I have talked to both as well and they are indeed very responsive, they answer mostly very quickly and were always polite but we left things at, that is fine, the frame is fine.
Old 07-10-2020, 03:19 PM

Quote:
I said chain drop but what I meant was chain suck. The chain would get caught under the dropped chainstay which I don't think it helped, any bounce and there it went. Why I think they recommend a clutch derailleur. Chain drop is an easy fix but chain suck is not as simple as just putting a chain catcher.
Ah ha now it's starting to make sense to my pea brain
Old 07-10-2020, 03:21 PM

Quote:
I said chain drop but what I meant was chain suck. The chain would get caught under the dropped chainstay which I don't think it helped, any bounce and there it went. Why I think they recommend a clutch derailleur.
Chain suck happens when the chain doesn't release from the front chain ring at the 6 o'clock position. That's also not a frame issue.
Old 07-10-2020, 03:25 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato coupe View Post
Chain suck happens when the chain doesn't release from the front chain ring at the 6 o'clock position. That's also not a frame issue.
its enough of a frame issue that one of the most popular group sets available (ultegra) has caused this to a bunch of owners of the bike. Also interestingly enough they recommend a clutch derailleur, after the fact though.
Old 07-10-2020, 03:37 PM

thanks for for the rec. Assuming you are referring to the small chainring
I'm going to try to get away with a 47/32 and an Ultegra FD up front and run a GRX rear derailleur(w/clutch ) no to chain catcher?

Last edited by cuda; 07-10-2020 at 03:41 PM.
Closed Thread