Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-09-2020, 08:27 PM
Velotopia

USPS got me

So I sold that Cinelli pista cockpit (bar and stem) on the bay recently to a fellow in Houston. I cut down a staples office paper ream box to 18x9x7, put the bars in, lotsa bubble and air pillows. Total weight 3 pounds 4 oz. And off she went.

Yesterday my phone chirped that I just paid eBay $26 for a “shipping adjustment”. I got in touch with them via the callback feature (works great) and the rep was actually pretty awesome. Opened a case and investigated.

The verdict was that usps hit them with a chargeback. Pressed for details they said the box I shipped was actually 22”x11”x10”, and weighed 16 pounds

16 pounds for a handlebar!

Well, either it soaked up a hell of a lot of water in transit, and grew an extra 4”, or they efffed up. Case opened, we’ll see. Just one of those moments when the system kinda has you, and it’s easier to forget about it than fight back.
Old 07-09-2020, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus SLX View Post
So I sold that Cinelli pista cockpit (bar and stem) on the bay recently to a fellow in Houston. I cut down a staples office paper ream box to 18x9x7, put the bars in, lotsa bubble and air pillows. Total weight 3 pounds 4 oz. And off she went.

Yesterday my phone chirped that I just paid eBay $26 for a “shipping adjustment”. I got in touch with them via the callback feature (works great) and the rep was actually pretty awesome. Opened a case and investigated.

The verdict was that usps hit them with a chargeback. Pressed for details they said the box I shipped was actually 22”x11”x10”, and weighed 16 pounds

16 pounds for a handlebar!

Well, either it soaked up a hell of a lot of water in transit, and grew an extra 4”, or they efffed up. Case opened, we’ll see. Just one of those moments when the system kinda has you, and it’s easier to forget about it than fight back.
If they don't take care of it at USPS (the dropoff receipt would have the tracking and weight at time of dropoff--open/shut case), I'd file a chargeback for the difference through your credit card. No company should be able to rip you off like that, even if it's "just" $26. Assuming you got a receipt, there's practically no way you'd lose that chargeback.
Old 07-09-2020, 08:41 PM

I once had the Post Office try to double-charge me for shipping a bike, seems the counter person took liberal measurements. I had to go back the next day and use a different agent.
Old 07-09-2020, 08:47 PM
Big Bike Love

I once had FedEx charge me $125.00 to ship a chess set to a nearby state. When I called to find out why, they said the package was 52" long. I tried to explain to them that it was a small chess set. After a few more phone calls, they reduced the price.After that, I check my billing carefully.
Old 07-09-2020, 09:13 PM
Small ring

I sometimes take pictures of the box with a tape measure next to it and photograph the contents of the box before it is sealed. Most carriers are using lasers to measure the packages. They move fast and they’re not always correct. They may actually measure two packages close together and only record one barcode.cya
Old 07-09-2020, 10:08 PM

Dimensional weight

16 pounds sounds like the "dim weight" of that package, at least as measured by them. Once the outside dimensions of a package exceed a cubic foot, USPS gets to rely on the greater of actual or dimensional weight. I note that your own measurements produce less than a cubic foot. Theirs, more than.

https://stamps.custhelp.com/app/answ...weight-pricing
Old 07-10-2020, 06:55 AM
Velotopia

Yeah, z, I’m going to start documenting weight with scale and tape measure photos. That’s the takeaway here.

Unfortunately I handed the box to my postal carrier at my house so didn’t get a drop off receipt.

The text in the email said “actual weight 16 pounds” so I’m not sure it’s dimensional weight. But with USPS you never know what some employee typed in where.
Old 07-10-2020, 07:33 AM

This smells like a scam to me but not from usps. Even if u think they are charging you + the volume, no way a handlebar box can be almost as big as a bicycle box.

Hope they help you.
Old 07-10-2020, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Yeah, z, I’m going to start documenting weight with scale and tape measure photos. That’s the takeaway here.

Unfortunately I handed the box to my postal carrier at my house so didn’t get a drop off receipt.

The text in the email said “actual weight 16 pounds” so I’m not sure it’s dimensional weight. But with USPS you never know what some employee typed in where.
Good thread, good tips and things I will do from now on. Sorry this happened to you, but thanks for the head's up!
Old 07-10-2020, 09:38 AM

Quote:

They’re losing so much cash they’re trying to make up for it by over charging when they can lol. I honestly hate USPS, they just recently lost a package (though I have to wait 30 days for it to be declared lost) and I’ve contacted them a few time through email and in person and I have not received any update on their investigation...such bull****, they are the worst by far!
Old 07-10-2020, 10:03 AM

If the package hasn't arrived yet, Maybe asked buyer to weigh and take picture before unboxing?
Old 07-10-2020, 12:34 PM

On a recent ebay purchase I contacted the seller after it didn't arrive after a couple of weeks. I received a refund for the seller and ordered another one. The new one and the original arrived a few days latter.
Old 07-10-2020, 12:50 PM

Quote:

Taking photos to show weight is completely unnecessary if you get a receipt--they always weigh at the time of scanning. I've always gotten a receipt for every dropoff since a package went missing (before initial scan) some years ago. And if you sell anything on ebay, it's doubly important to always get a receipt for your own protection. If it doesn't get scanned before going missing, it's a complete loss, insurance paid or not. The potential headache just isn't worth the convenience of tossing in the dropbox or handing off to the carrier (unless you're shipping a cheap piece of junk).

With the USPS, weight is far more important than dimensions (unless you hit oversized package limits). If you're shipping USPS, just get the scan showing the weight + tracking+date, and you're golden. With UPS/Fedex, it's a bit different, as each inch can make a big difference in price.
Old 07-10-2020, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZR3 View Post
They’re losing so much cash they’re trying to make up for it by over charging when they can lol. I honestly hate USPS, they just recently lost a package (though I have to wait 30 days for it to be declared lost) and I’ve contacted them a few time through email and in person and I have not received any update on their investigation...such bull****, they are the worst by far!
This needs to be challenged. They are not losing cash. They are being required to prepay 75 years of pensions and bills ahead of time by Congress. If they didn't have to do that, they would be financially fine.
Old 07-10-2020, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikinchris View Post
This needs to be challenged. They are not losing cash. They are being required to prepay 75 years of pensions and bills ahead of time by Congress. If they didn't have to do that, they would be financially fine.
+1

It was a planned collapse. No one what is being made to do something so freaking stupid