Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-08-2020, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PQJ View Post
Related Q - how often should framsavered steel frames be re-framesavered? I acquired a new steel frame - a very haute one if I may say - in January 2019. It was framesavered before the builder shipped it. When should I framesaver again?

Thanks in advance.
They say it's good for 3-5 years per application, but given proper care it should last far longer...
Old 07-08-2020, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadmax View Post
It doesn't harden up but it's really a little too thick to just leak out. Does that make sense?

Here's the thread I was looking for. It's well worth the read.

https://forums.mtbr.com/fat-bikes/an...t-1073581.html
Thanks for that. It was also the easiest thing for me to get a hold so I'm gonna spray the inside with it.

Anything to use on the outside? I hear waxing bikes is okay? Anything for the chrome fork. I was told not to use chrome polish on it. Would just regular car wax be okay?
Old 07-08-2020, 01:23 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadmax View Post
I use fluid film on mine once a year (inside the tubes). Somewhere on the net is a really good post/test of several products. I just wish I could remember where.
There have been a number of threads over the years that I recomended Fluid Film, and one of those has a link to a long term study of many different rust inhibitors. Fluid Film came out on top. I did a quick search and didn't find it but it's here somewhere. Initially deveoped for use on ships in extreme environments so it works. Hey, if NASA uses it, so can you.

Quote:
Does Fluid Film leak out of the frame or does it harden up after it dries?
You might have a little come out initially if you apply too much. It is a little thicker but it creeps into every little nook and cranny. Non-toxic, easy to apply, and it works.

If you really want to get down into the tubes you could always use one of these...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzJeEPtvwqw

W.
Old 07-08-2020, 01:24 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herder View Post
Thanks for that. It was also the easiest thing for me to get a hold so I'm gonna spray the inside with it.

Anything to use on the outside? I hear waxing bikes is okay? Anything for the chrome fork. I was told not to use chrome polish on it. Would just regular car wax be okay?
Yes, but Pledge works well too.

W.
Old 07-08-2020, 01:29 PM
Administrator

i use spray automotive "Quick Detailer" on my bikes on the outside. works great and is a couple second job to wipe them down with a wet rag of detailer. all the big companies make some variation of this and they all work about the same.

Old 07-08-2020, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieclick View Post
Is it reasonable to ask a frame builder to do this for you?

I have a steel frame in the works, and would definitely like to treat the inside with something. If a professional can do it, I'd prefer it. Not sure if it's a reasonable request.
IMHO, yes, totally reasonable.

In fact, when I got my bike, the builder had already applied the framesaver, without me asking.

Chris
Old 07-08-2020, 03:05 PM
Small ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post
Yes, but Pledge works well too.

W.
Pro Tip: Pledge attracts bees. Bees can sting.
Old 07-08-2020, 03:08 PM
Small ring

If I really wanted a nice coating on my bike, I would use one of the new TW or Megs spray on ceramics. I've used them on my cars, they are fantastic. If you want to go whole hog, use some CQuartz
Old 07-08-2020, 03:25 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmudshark View Post
If I really wanted a nice coating on my bike, I would use one of the new TW or Megs spray on ceramics. I've used them on my cars, they are fantastic. If you want to go whole hog, use some CQuartz
i'm interested in these ceramic sprays. i had thought it might be a gimmick, but you think they are good zmud? for about 20 bucks it's worth an experiment i guess.
Old 07-08-2020, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
i'm interested in these ceramic sprays. i had thought it might be a gimmick, but you think they are good zmud? for about 20 bucks it's worth an experiment i guess.
I've had both of my steel frames professionally coated by a detail shop up by us (along with most of my buddies when we got them) and it makes a huge difference on what sticks to a bike after the ride and cleaning it off.

I'll never forget how on the first ride on our Fabrica's the three of us with new coated bikes, just wiped the bikes down with a DRY towel and had them good as new versus the two with previous year non-coated bikes who had to do a proper bike wash.

I'll say even now, 2 years later my Bedford and Fabrica pick up and hold less on the paint than my No22 does even on dry rides.
Old 07-10-2020, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieclick View Post
Is it reasonable to ask a frame builder to do this for you?

I have a steel frame in the works, and would definitely like to treat the inside with something. If a professional can do it, I'd prefer it. Not sure if it's a reasonable request.
It isn't that hard to do yourself but I would think most builders would be willing to do it for you for an extra charge.
Old 07-10-2020, 01:16 PM

good to know, thank you.
Old 07-10-2020, 02:42 PM

I do Boeshield every second winter. Works well, and is nowhere near as unpleasant as framesaver. If like me you fly (or did before this spring) often for work, it smells like a wet airplane (it's a Boeing product designed to protect aircraft bits from corrosion). It's more liquid than framesaver, and it comes with a tiny straw that can be used to apply through the holes typical in a modern steel frame. Strip frame down, place in stand, spray one way, let drain and dry, rotate frame, repeat.

I also use spray-on quick detailer on the outside. Easy to do in 2-3 minutes.

Bike has 40,000 miles (including about 10,000 gravel), and plenty of paint chips, but no rust issues.
Old 07-10-2020, 05:29 PM
Vendor

I don't get much rain but I use FrameSaver on my steel bikes. I don't think I've ever reapplied but I'll periodically check the tubes after a wash just to make sure everything is looking OK. I don't spray WD-40 because I think it dissolves the FrameSaver coating.