Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-25-2020, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latestart View Post
I'm trying to figure out when I've had enough bikes to buy a Peg. Anyone care to share what # was their Peg in their adult bike purchases? And how old were you when you got your first Peg?
Bought my Peg (frame only) used right here in the Classifieds a little over two weeks before Dario died. By my calculation, it was my seventh purchased bike (a few are still here but I’m down to three rides) out of the eight I’ve owned. I will never sell it, but might buy a Respo if one came along. Oh yeah, I was 55 when I bought it!

Last edited by wgp; 05-25-2020 at 08:17 AM.
Old 05-25-2020, 08:14 AM

Like WGP mine was purchased here (Frame only) pre Dario passing, and it was No. 5 for me at the time. Oh, and I'm 49.
Old 05-25-2020, 08:16 AM

Quote:
I'm trying to figure out when I've had enough bikes to buy a Peg. Anyone care to share what # was their Peg in their adult bike purchases? And how old were you when you got your first Peg? Avg Porsche/Ferrari owners are in their 40's; same for Peg?
I would guess in the range of 20 bikes, I’ve never really kept track to be honest. I’m 32 and just bought my first Peg a few months ago FWIW.
Old 05-25-2020, 09:37 AM

Quote:
I'm trying to figure out when I've had enough bikes to buy a Peg. Anyone care to share what # was their Peg in their adult bike purchases? And how old were you when you got your first Peg? Avg Porsche/Ferrari owners are in their 40's; same for Peg?
Maybe 3 or 4 before getting my first Peg, but I still have the second "real" roadie I've ever owned (04 Lemond Zurich) and ride it on the reg. However, I buy and sell bikes to make money to buy more bikes so I've had a lot of bikes but only for a brief amount of time; I don't consider riding only 50 miles total before selling it off as comparable to owning something long term and understanding the nuances, etc.

Still, I spent 4 years trying to find one in my size that I could afford, and right here on PL I got that chance. So, I jumped on that like a fat kid on cake ... then about a year later I got another chance to pick up a NOS F+F that I chased for a year prior to that - a two year saga only to buy it through a friend from the same shop at the same price but a year later lol.

2014 Mxxxxxo - complete off PL
2011 Duende - was F+F

I'm 46 now, was 42-43 when I got the Mxxxxxo.
Old 07-10-2020, 07:39 PM
Hrmm

Quote:
I was about 10 frames in and about 30yo, maybe one or two less in bike form and one I didn't actually own. Never owned carbon or aluminum but was stepping up in pedigrees/value and reading a lot about builders and frames wanting to try them all. It is like a modern day reinterpretation of the classic steel frame so I had to try one and found a decent deal. I was also working for a reputable cycling/lifestyle company at the time so it didn't help that I was surrounded by lots of fancy bikes and kit so adding to the bit of envy/jealousy to own a "big boy" bike.
Old 07-12-2020, 12:33 PM
#RYFB

Quote:
I'm kind of an outlier here, apparently -- been riding for more than 40 years but have only owned 6 road frames. My Peg ('ethnic' Duende) is #6, bought when I was 60. FWIW, I bought my first Porsche when I was 30. The only way that I would part with it is in exchange for a Respo.
Old 07-12-2020, 12:59 PM

Please, post up your Pegs.

Responsorium ciavete

Last edited by radsmd; 07-12-2020 at 01:04 PM.
Old 07-12-2020, 01:03 PM

Joe Bell repaint Mxxxxxo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-12-2020, 02:15 PM
Strong Walker

Marcelo ciavete at the Col du Ballon de Servance,a stone throw away from the plateau de Belle filles and the Ballon d'alsace.

Last edited by martl; 07-12-2020 at 02:17 PM.
Old 07-12-2020, 03:01 PM

Love the Joe Bell paint.
Old 07-12-2020, 03:19 PM
#RYFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by radsmd View Post
Joe Bell repaint Mxxxxxo
Is it me or is your Mxxxxxo slightly larger than your Respo? How about a ride where we swap and report back contrasting Respo vs. Duende ride impressions? I’d drive south for that
Old 07-12-2020, 04:01 PM

Couple of geometry questions for you Peg owners:

For standard geometry frames, what it the bottom bracket drop? Is it 7cm across the size range? Or does it vary?

What should I add to seat tube length c-c/frame size to get seat tube length center of BB-top of seatpost collar? Would especially like to know seat tube length c-t for 58, 59, and 60 size frames.

When I look over Peg geometry charts, I notice the fairly low trail numbers, around 54-55mm or so. Do owners find these bikes overly twitchy at all?

Thanks. A Pegoretti Duende or Responsorium has been at the top of my bucket list for quite a while. (Which is somewhat obvious when you look back a few pages and see I've been asking the same questions for a few years now... )

Last edited by tv_vt; 07-12-2020 at 04:04 PM.
Old 07-12-2020, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgolvin View Post
Is it me or is your Mxxxxxo slightly larger than your Respo? How about a ride where we swap and report back contrasting Respo vs. Duende ride impressions? I’d drive south for that
You have a good eye. The Mxxxxxo is a stock 53 while the Responsorium is a custom, closer to a 52.

I had a 54 duende and would have been totally happy with it if it was the correct size. Magic carpet ride.

Summer Cycles here in Del Mar has Peg demo’s, run by Craig Gaulzetti. So you should some on down.
Old 07-12-2020, 04:51 PM
#RYFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by radsmd View Post
You have a good eye. The Mxxxxxo is a stock 53 while the Responsorium is a custom, closer to a 52.

Summer Cycles here in Del Mar has Peg demo’s, run by Craig Gaulzetti. So you should some on down.
Interesting -- looking at the Respo I would have guessed 50 since it looks nearly identical to mine in that size.

Thanks for the tip -- it has been on my list to stop by and see Craig next time I'm down there, more likely to try a Pavaix. But my real plan was to do my proposed swap and try to ride away with your Respo
Old 07-12-2020, 08:07 PM
Hrmm

Has anyone went from the Enve fork to a Falz or vice versa. If so, what was the reasoning?

When they first came out with the Falz, I was really enticed and disappointed but the more I see it these days, the shoulders look really wide and I haven't experienced any tire clearance issues yet but have only run 23s on it.