Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-10-2020, 11:03 AM

Sheared nipple on Giant PX-2 wheel

A friend was out for a ride this morning and heard a loud POP when he went around a corner. Nippled sheared off on the front wheel. He could hear something moving inside the rim so must be the flange portion of the nipple.

Bike shops are booked up around here so it's not a quick fix from that perspective. Is this an indication of a problem with the rim or really just as simple as - get a new nipple, grease and thread back onto the spoke?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Giant nipple.jpg (136.7 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg Giant nipple 2.JPG (68.1 KB, 106 views)
Old 07-10-2020, 11:58 AM

Maybe its just the lighting, but the silvery color of the nipple in the broken cross section make me think the nipple was aluminum, rather than the brass (these are the two most common nipple materials). Aluminum as a material can be strong enough for nipples, but they are far more prone to corrosion and fatigue. Breaking aluminum nipples is sadly not uncommon especially in wheels that are exposed to the elements.

A single broke nipple (particularly if it is aluminum) doesn't usually mean there something wrong in the rest of the wheel. So in this case, the repair may just mean replacing the nipple (I'd use brass this time, which are also available in a black finish). But if another nipple or two break, you want to consider replacing all of them.
Old 07-11-2020, 06:32 AM

Its not the lighting, it looks like aluminum to me as well. No significant exposure to the elements, but I'll attempt to source a brass (black) replacement.

Thanks
Old 07-11-2020, 06:36 AM
Riding Along

If you are willing to drive out to Rockwood I will be happy to fix it for you. I even have nipples (brass, but silver only). Danny knows me.
Old 07-11-2020, 06:38 AM

This is a super common problem with low end Giant wheels. I used to repair these types of breaks all the time. If your buddy loves riding, it might be worth helping him get some new wheels down the road.
Old 07-11-2020, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veloo View Post
Sheared nipple on Giant PX-2 wheel
Ouch! That's gotta hurt.
Old 07-11-2020, 06:39 AM
Proud Grandpa

Pretty simple to fish the old aluminum nipple remnant out, replace that nipple with a descent brass one..do a cursory true(might be all that needed is to tighten that nipple to straighten the rim enough to ride)..LUBE, threads and nipple/rim interface...if it happens again and ya want to keep those wheels...replace all the crappy aluminum nipples with brass one. Send them to me and I'll do it..
Old 07-11-2020, 06:51 AM

Funny thing about aluminum nipples that I've noticed over the last few years, sealant can corrode the heads over time and you could end up replacing many in in some situations. Particularly with Stans users. Not an accusation, just an observation. Granted, these are 4 to 5 year old stock MTB wheels that are narrow and should just be replaced with something new, but still
Old 07-11-2020, 07:00 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutgallery View Post
Funny thing about aluminum nipples that I've noticed over the last few years, sealant can corrode the heads over time and you could end up replacing many in in some situations. Particularly with Stans users. Not an accusation, just an observation. Granted, these are 4 to 5 year old stock MTB wheels that are narrow and should just be replaced with something new, but still
Agree..aluminum nipples, NO advantage and many disadvantages..a set of 64 aluminum nipples weigh 40 gram less than brass...This weighs 50grams

Old 07-11-2020, 07:14 AM

Thanks for the replies.

I'll try to source some black brass and do the repair, otherwise I may contact you Black Dog. Thanks for the offer
Old 07-11-2020, 08:00 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDzBike View Post
Thanks for the replies.

I'll try to source some black brass and do the repair, otherwise I may contact you Black Dog. Thanks for the offer
Yer LBS had BETTER have brass nipples..silver is fine too to get ya back on the road..little sharpie action if it's GOTTA be black.
Old 07-11-2020, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Yer LBS had BETTER have brass nipples..silver is fine too to get ya back on the road..little sharpie action if it's GOTTA be black.
That is where I started, I have always tried to support them. They won't answer the phone, a message claims they are too busy, they provide an e-mail address for questions, sent an e-mail got an auto reply stating they won't reply for 2 week due to workload. I will likely just go there and line up to see if they have the nipples.

They were always great prior to COVID
Old 07-11-2020, 10:01 AM

Agree with comment on common issue with giant wheels. I had 4 nipples break before I gave up and got new wheels
Old 07-12-2020, 07:28 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDzBike View Post
That is where I started, I have always tried to support them. They won't answer the phone, a message claims they are too busy, they provide an e-mail address for questions, sent an e-mail got an auto reply stating they won't reply for 2 week due to workload. I will likely just go there and line up to see if they have the nipples.

They were always great prior to COVID
Yikes..short sighted to think the biz they have now is the way it will be a year from now. If they piss off people this way now, people will go elsewhere when the dust settles. If they are THAT busy, they could hire somebody to answer the phone, if nothing else.

NOT a quick answer but I can send you as many nipples as you need USPS priority..

Are you in Toronto, eh?
Old 07-13-2020, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Yikes..short sighted to think the biz they have now is the way it will be a year from now. If they piss off people this way now, people will go elsewhere when the dust settles. If they are THAT busy, they could hire somebody to answer the phone, if nothing else.

NOT a quick answer but I can send you as many nipples as you need USPS priority..

Are you in Toronto, eh?
I'm just north of Newmarket, the LBS is closed today (Monday) I'll try going there tomorrow, if no success I'll make contact. Thanks