Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 07-10-2020, 08:46 PM

Shops here are doing the same. No mask, no entry. You stay outside and wait.
Some shops don't allow entry period. They set up one of those folding canopies outside for weather and you are either there to pick up your online order or drop off your bike.

FYI, one of the hospitals here turned away a woman with a (claimed) broken finger cuz she refused to don a mask. She was seen at some protest days later with a known douchebag.

BTW, I have asthma. Been wearing a mask before many others. Still alive.
Old 07-10-2020, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilltopperny View Post
Store policy is store policy. There are real problems that exist such as asthma

Have asthma, wife has asthma. Neither are unable to wear a mask because of our asthma. YRMV.
Old 07-10-2020, 09:09 PM
Randomhead

The medical exemption thing is what all the anti-maskers are saying now. You can't risk employee health by letting them in the store.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilltopperny View Post
I am a contractor by trade and well before this whole Covid thing couldn’t really wear a mask while sheet rocking, demolishing buildings or even when I used to load hay trucks. Probably didn’t do any favors for my lungs in the long term.
this is interesting. I have come to realize that dust kicks off my asthma pretty badly and I start having cold-like symptoms right away if I'm not wearing a mask. I guess everyone is different, and any insult to the respiratory system can set off asthma, but I have never felt like wearing a mask did that for me.
Old 07-10-2020, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dziehr View Post
There are no medical exemptions.
This.
Old 07-10-2020, 09:13 PM

If you are able enough to drive then walk into Home Depot, then I don't think you have a medical exemption from wearing a mask. Yes I went into HD today in CA where COVID is rampant, less than 50% wearing masks, in a state with a supposed mask mandate. Insanity. But I'm not the least bit surprised we are here given our tremendous and beautiful response to the pandemic.

It's not our fault.

It's the other country.

How many more must die.

I think I'll stick to reading the classifieds now.
Old 07-10-2020, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdeth1313 View Post
Have asthma, wife has asthma. Neither are unable to wear a mask because of our asthma. YRMV.
I assume you are doing your best to avoid retail establishments and probably appreciate curb-side service so neither your wife nor you need to put yourselves at risk of contracting COVID-19?

The reality is that any person who bitches that they are being denied entry into a store because they refuse to wear a mask is very unlikely to have a medical condition and is both incredibly selfish and out to make a political statement.
Old 07-11-2020, 01:03 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dziehr View Post
There are no medical exemptions.

- a pulmonary and critical care physician

I second the above as an Anesthesiologist who has asthma and worn just about every kind of surgical mask made over the last 37 years.

I wear a construction N-95 mask with the exhalation valve taped over when I absolutely need to go out. We have our groceries delivered and all my rides or hikes are solo.

You gave her a reasonable accommodation for a likely bogus statement. Just my opinion.

It’s I protect you if I wear a mask, you protect me if you wear a mask. Well documented in the medical literature.
Old 07-11-2020, 03:55 AM

My wife won't even let me in the bed unless I wear something to cover my face. Actually, now that I think about it, it was like that before COVID.

Last edited by Fivethumbs; 07-11-2020 at 03:59 AM.
Old 07-11-2020, 05:00 AM

Our county went from 40 deaths/day at peak to 3/week (as of July 6). When our LBS reopened in May, it was 1 customer at a time in the shop, and everyone with masks. Everyone else queued outside, >6 feet apart. Today it is the same. This is how you keep the death rate low and, with persistence, drive it to zero.
Old 07-11-2020, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by verbs4us View Post
Our county went from 40 deaths/day at peak to 3/week (as of July 6). When our LBS reopened in May, it was 1 customer at a time in the shop, and everyone with masks. Everyone else queued outside, >6 feet apart. Today it is the same. This is how you keep the death rate low and, with persistence, drive it to zero.
Comments so far I believe represents the overall mindset of this forum - as a whole pretty selfless. Sooner or later things will settle down and it will be calm voices that get us there.

Gratitude Paceline
Old 07-11-2020, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djg21 View Post
I assume you are doing your best to avoid retail establishments and probably appreciate curb-side service so neither your wife nor you need to put yourselves at risk of contracting COVID-19?

The reality is that any person who bitches that they are being denied entry into a store because they refuse to wear a mask is very unlikely to have a medical condition and is both incredibly selfish and out to make a political statement.
Ummm - not sure what you're getting at or if it's directed at me directly --

did you not read "neither of us are UNABLE to wear a mask"

We always wear masks when out. To answer your question - once a week I go grocery shopping. My wife is back to work - she's an optometrist - wears a KN95 mask and a face shield. Her office will provide a mask if a patient/customer doesn't have one. If they don't wear a mask they don't come in.

I wouldn't go out to eat inside or outside at this point (or any point until this is over), it's just not worth the risk, asthma or not.
Old 07-11-2020, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdeth1313 View Post
Ummm - not sure what you're getting at or if it's directed at me directly --

did you not read "neither of us are UNABLE to wear a mask"

We always wear masks when out. To answer your question - once a week I go grocery shopping. My wife is back to work - she's an optometrist - wears a KN95 mask and a face shield. Her office will provide a mask if a patient/customer doesn't have one. If they don't wear a mask they don't come in.

I wouldn't go out to eat inside or outside at this point (or any point until this is over), it's just not worth the risk, asthma or not.
I misread your post. The double negative got me. It wasn’t really directed at you, but was to make a point.

Last edited by djg21; 07-11-2020 at 04:40 PM.
Old 07-11-2020, 06:09 AM

And here I thought this insanity was just a US thing.

French bus driver dies following attack by passengers who refused to wear masks

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...sed-wear-masks

Tim
Old 07-11-2020, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fivethumbs View Post
My wife won't even let me in the bed unless I wear something to cover my face. Actually, now that I think about it, it was like that before COVID.

Tim
Old 07-11-2020, 06:10 AM

Wearing a mask is proven to cut the transmission of COVID-19. I like Angry’s analogy to No Shoes, No Shirt, No Service, because it frames the discussion on the public vs private space issue of a store. A place of business is (generally) not a public space, and the proprietor can set up what rules govern the conduct of customers/visitors. Normally, those rules are intended not to offend or discourage customers, but the right resides with the owner to make those decisions, and always has. The customer who enters a privately owned space, especially a customer who professes to believe in individual rights, should always respect the right of a proprietor to set the rules of conduct in a place of business. That includes Masks. It is common courtesy on many levels.
Closed Thread