Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-10-2020, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colker View Post
When you want a Pegoretti there is no substitute nor rational reason to stop the want.
Exactly
Old 07-10-2020, 06:03 PM
I need you cool.

Sorry, you will find no help here in this den of enablers who love to spend other peoples money....

In sum: "It is so choice. If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up."

Last edited by Ozz; 07-10-2020 at 06:06 PM.
Old 07-10-2020, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo251 View Post
Exactly
I would buy it and sell the Marcelo when the frame arrives.
Old 07-10-2020, 06:10 PM
Hrmm

I do have to say the Responsorium is an amazing ride. Not sure if it really needs the stiffer rear triangle personally but I'm sure there's a vision and purpose for it all. At only ~150lbs and not being the strongest rider, the Respo feels plenty stiff for me but I actually like the planing from my more traditional steel bikes. In that regard, the Respo actually felt stiff to me. Not sure yet that its too stiff but I have yet to take it out on a good day for my legs. It sat mostly as furniture in my place for the better part my ownership and only a few smallish rides. I just took it out recently and am so very glad I never sold it. The ride is quite magical.

I did a century on it just recently and it surprised me how it was practically self powered. So many times I found myself surprised how fast it felt I was going and the big hill I had been dreading the entire ride back actually felt easy and without the need for even my second biggest cog.
Did I set any PRs? No. But do I care? No.
Old 07-10-2020, 06:20 PM

When I first got my MxxxxxO I looked at it and went " oh boy this thing is gonna beat me up" those are big steel pipes and it's only a 50cm. I'm a whopping 5'6".

Nope, was and is not the case. My MxxxxxO rides smoother than any other bike I've had and that's with 25's for tires. I tried to explain it to Clean 39t, it rides like an arrow; pointy in the front like you can squeeze it in a tight space and flared out in the back which I assume is those stays. Loves the seated climb and is like a locomotive going up hill. It's like a thoughbred race horse that doesn't get rattled, like it's never scared or twitchy. Just goes where you point it and Yawns at my efforts...…

The original thread:
https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=221942

I can only imagine how good a Round would be to ride.

Last edited by Jimbo251; 07-10-2020 at 06:45 PM.
Old 07-10-2020, 06:25 PM

Quote:
When I first got my MxxxxxO I looked at it and went " oh boy this thing is gonna beat me up" those are big steel pipes and it's only a 50cm. I'm a whopping 5'6".

Nope, was and is not the case. My MxxxxxO rides smoother than any other bike I've had and that's with 25's for tires. I tried to explain it to Clean 39t, it rides like an arrow; pointy in the front like you can squeeze it in a tight space and flared out in the back which I assume is those stays. Loves the seated climb and is like a locomotive going up hill. It's like a thoughbred race horse that doesn't get rattled, like it's never scared or twitchy. Just goes where you point it and Yawns at my efforts...…

I can only imagine how good a Round would be to ride.
On top of the outstanding performance you still have loads of the best 20th century taste from the enlightened mind of Dario.
Old 07-10-2020, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colker View Post
I would buy it and sell the Marcelo when the frame arrives.
I don't think I can do that. If I can source a Round, Respo or Love#3 it will be N+1.
Old 07-10-2020, 06:54 PM

Quote:
I don't think I can do that. If I can source a Round, Respo or Love#3 it will be N+1.
I just saw your Mxxxxo and agree: you can´t sell it.
Old 07-10-2020, 07:20 PM
50 bpm

Another beautiful bike that I will never come close to owning.
Old 07-10-2020, 07:20 PM

what does the Love #3 go for these days?
Old 07-10-2020, 08:03 PM
il Curmudgeoni

Quote:
Originally Posted by John H. View Post
I guess I don't see that much "magic" or value in a stock steel frame that costs 6k.

I am not a "steel guy" anymore- But if I was, there are a bunch of guys I would have build me a custom frame before I sprung for a Pegoretti.
I would guess that most Pegorettis sold in the US are 'stock' geo but they also do custom, though it's unclear if there is an upcharge for that. Also, the XCR tubes that they use are proprietary so even the stock geo frame would be near imposssible for someone else to duplicate exactly.

I do get where you are coming from though.
Old 07-10-2020, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallizes View Post
what does the Love #3 go for these days?
For reference, I paid $1650 for mine which was more or less a demo build frame with non-Falz fork.
Old 07-10-2020, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by choke View Post
I would guess that most Pegorettis sold in the US are 'stock' geo but they also do custom, though it's unclear if there is an upcharge for that. Also, the XCR tubes that they use are proprietary so even the stock geo frame would be near imposssible for someone else to duplicate exactly.

I do get where you are coming from though.
In addition to the above most folks don't realize the fees involved with importing something into the states from another country.

The frames come over on a container, there's GITA who's the North American Distributor. So from Italy over the pond to GITA to your local bike shop.
A Mosaic RS 1 is $5600 and is built right here in Colorado. The Round is XCr stainless and the Mosaic is HSS. So there is value in a top shelf Pegoretti steel ride with state of the art tubing and paint.

Most premier builders are charging the same for steel as Ti. I don't think the Peg is that far off. A FireFly HSS is the same cost as their Ti road. HSS is 2nd tier to XCr.

What I'm trying to say is I spent $3600 on my Speedvagen frameset in 2012 and it didn't come with a headset. I spent $3500 on my 20th anniversary Strong.
I bought my Marcelo frameset in 2017 for $3950.

Top shelf steel bikes are expensive, not just Peg's.
Old 07-11-2020, 12:02 AM
Boeuf Chaîne

I'm sure the Round is a great frame, but I have to say, the "Texas Flood" paint scheme doesn't do a whole lot for me. YTMV (your taste may vary)
Old 07-11-2020, 02:13 PM

It is never irrational to want something that is built by people /a person you have in affinity for.

I would love a peg in one of the blown paint technique ciavetes.