Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-11-2020, 09:06 AM

While riding tubeless, you have a pucture, PSSSSSSSSSS! Sealant is quick to the rescue and the puncture seals. Do you then pull over and wait 24 hours before finishing the ride?

Ok, well that comment was just for fun. My point is that I just seat the tires with sealant, shake the wheel wildly in all directions, good to go.
Old 07-11-2020, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinema View Post
I think that is a myth. the bead pops and thats that. the sealant does not prevent the tire from losing air or staying on the rim in any significant way at all. it would make sense if you want to leave it for a few minutes to monitor if it's losing air at the spoke holes due to rim damage or due to poor fitment but it would be pretty apparent in just a little bit.

as you said the tires seat without sealant. one could ride them that way until something flats the tire. i mount a new tire with sealant then head out for a ride.
Is this topic dependent on whether we're talking about Tubeless Ready vs Tubeless tires? ie. is this article incorrect?

https://www.bicycling.com/skills-tips/a27628336/tubeless-tires-guide/#:~:text=Tubeless%20ready%20tires%20don't,bed%20it self%20is%20not%20sealed.

Quote: "Tubeless ready tires don’t have the sealed casing that UST tires (see below) do. That makes them lighter, and also means they require sealant to hold air.

Tubeless Compatible: A tubeless-compatible wheel or rim is one in which the rim has a bead lock, but the rim bed itself is not sealed. Some companies use “tubeless ready” and “tubeless compatible” as synonyms. In either case, the components needed to run the wheel and tire combo as a tubeless setup are the same: a sealed rim bed, tire with a tubeless bead lock, and sealant.
"
Old 07-11-2020, 09:12 AM

If you have to wait you may as well use a tube. Otherwise, it defeats the purpose.
Old 07-11-2020, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoosterCogset View Post
Is this topic dependent on whether we're talking about Tubeless Ready vs Tubeless tires? ie. is this article incorrect?

https://www.bicycling.com/skills-tips/a27628336/tubeless-tires-guide/#:~:text=Tubeless%20ready%20tires%20don't,bed%20it self%20is%20not%20sealed.

Quote: "Tubeless ready tires don’t have the sealed casing that UST tires (see below) do. That makes them lighter, and also means they require sealant to hold air.

Tubeless Compatible: A tubeless-compatible wheel or rim is one in which the rim has a bead lock, but the rim bed itself is not sealed. Some companies use “tubeless ready” and “tubeless compatible” as synonyms. In either case, the components needed to run the wheel and tire combo as a tubeless setup are the same: a sealed rim bed, tire with a tubeless bead lock, and sealant.
"
Whether or not this is true is irrelevant, because letting the wheel sit overnight will simply pool the sealant to downward facing part of the tire. riding the tire will spread the sealant and therefore assist in this allowing the thinner casing to hold air better over time. the sealant is not supposed to really dry inside the tire (though it will over time) to 'seal it,' certainly not after 24 hours. but it will lay a wet film over it sure, increasing the mass of rubber and thereby allowing less air to escape i guess. All rubber will allow air to escape the tire eventually, which is why you have to pump it up.

Last edited by cinema; 07-11-2020 at 09:31 AM.
Old 07-11-2020, 10:35 AM

Ride immediately after "shaking" the sealant into the bead. Riding pushes the sealant into any potential holes with better force than you can manage otherwise. I thought this was the recommended procedure, what I've always done..
Old 07-11-2020, 11:16 AM

How long after mounting tubeless do you ride them (road)

Riding doesn’t get the sealant into the sidewalls and bead area of the tire to any appreciable extent because of centripetal force, which forces the sealant into the tread area. That's why you should shake or spin the wheel around when it is in a horizontal position after you put the sealant in.

I use one of these plastic planter boxes filled with water to look for leaks in the tire, rim tape, valve... $8 at Lowes. Seal the holes in the box with duct tape.

Last edited by MikeD; 07-11-2020 at 11:41 AM.
Old 07-11-2020, 12:21 PM

Depends a lot on the tire. I had Compass SBH's which started seeping sealant out the sidewalls right away. Those took a while before they sealed. Gravel Kings, WTB, even Challenge TL all have been easier for me.
Old 07-11-2020, 01:08 PM

sealant seeping out of the sidewalls? that is crazy. never witnessed that but maybe with these lighter thinner casings i can see it happening. i guess if you see sealant seeping out shortly after it's best to wait a bit. i would guess air would be escaping anyway on that tire through a tube if that is happening, you just can't see it.

Last edited by cinema; 07-11-2020 at 01:10 PM.
Old 07-11-2020, 01:26 PM

Sealant leaking out the sidewalls is poor design implementation.. but at least you pay a lot for it!