Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-22-2024, 11:47 AM

Rim Brake rim recs

I am looking to build up a new set of wheels with some hubs I already have. Looking for 45-50 deep with a good brake track. I have been eyeing BTLOS and Lightbicycle but curious if there are any other brands I should take a look at. They need to be on the narrower side, 25mm because of a narrow chain stay clearance. Thanks
Old 02-22-2024, 12:17 PM

If you can go to 26mm wide, I recommend the BTLOS RC-55. I have these in the Premium layup with Arc braking surface. Dry braking (with SwissStop Black Prince pads) is excellent.

Greg
Old 02-22-2024, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregL View Post
If you can go to 26mm wide, I recommend the BTLOS RC-55. I have these in the Premium layup with Arc braking surface. Dry braking (with SwissStop Black Prince pads) is excellent.

Greg
Interesting. Would these be the widest deep carbon 700c clincher rim brake spec available? I was looking for something that fit that description and few months ago and didn't see anything this wide.
Old 02-22-2024, 01:43 PM

Light Bicycle have offerings with 28mm wide rim brake wheels.
Old 02-22-2024, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jds108 View Post
Interesting. Would these be the widest deep carbon 700c clincher rim brake spec available? I was looking for something that fit that description and few months ago and didn't see anything this wide.
I'm not sure if these rims are the widest deep carbon clinchers available. I ordered mine in May 2023 and received them exactly one month later. They've proven to be sturdy under my 170-ish pounds, including one off-road excursion to avoid a race crash.

Greg
Old 02-22-2024, 01:48 PM

I love my silver Hunt alloy wheels but they’re not very deep. You should maybe consider HED RC Black wheels. They aren’t the lightest or widest but they have an alloy rim brake track with ridges. At least you know that you’ll stop.
Old 02-22-2024, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZaddyWatts View Post
I love my silver Hunt alloy wheels but they’re not very deep. You should maybe consider HED RC Black wheels. They aren’t the lightest or widest but they have an alloy rim brake track with ridges. At least you know that you’ll stop.
I have a pair of HED Ardennes that are alloy and are sort of a bombproof backup wheel set. They are great and pretty light. Just need another, deeper carbon wheelset in the rotation.
Old 02-22-2024, 05:56 PM

Nextie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jds108 View Post
Nextie makes some wider rim brake rims. I just purchased a set of 28mm wide (22 mm ID) Nextie CRX rims that I am running on my SV road. Plenty of clearance in the enve fork with campy SR calipers. I'm using veloflex corsa eco TLR which are measuring at 26.9mm on this rim.

I'm going to try the veloflex 28mm but I'm pretty sure it will be too tight for comfort. So, will likely windup using them on something else.

Jon

Last edited by stackie; 02-23-2024 at 11:13 AM. Reason: Clarify