Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-17-2019, 09:58 AM
coffee consumer

I once had a lawnmower that was in bad need of repair during the busy season and the mechanic was telling me six-to-eight weeks wait. When I mentioned beer, that wait time reduced to 'next week'...He said he liked Budweiser so I got him a six pack of tall-boys, put them on ice, and brought them in a cooler. Got my mower back in 2 days.

I only had one bike mechanic who I liked enough to buy beer...sometimes it was my bike and other times it was another customers' bike he needed to work on, but if it wasn't super-busy, he'd let me hang out and would teach me stuff about bike repair and we'd talk about beers, so I knew he had an idea of what beers he liked. He was as much as buddy as he was my wrench.

Maybe it was a 'tip' but I always paid whatever he charged and never thought of it as a tip --- more shared beer appreciation with a friend.
Old 09-17-2019, 12:49 PM
Shifty Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickdoc View Post
I tip my current mechanic in bourbon, but I have also tipped gift cards, cash, beer, cookies, even used bike parts that I knew he would like and use.....but, it is a tip and he and I both love bourbon.

If he was a recovering alcoholic I would never do such a thing.

Silly.
This right here. It helps to ask your mechanic what they appreciate. Some of the mechanics at my LBS do not drink beer or at all. The mechanic that I usually go to does however appreciate Tennessee's best, so I'll get some to him.