Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-16-2019, 09:28 PM

Debating new wheel build - rim questions

Hi folks -

I've got the itch to have a custom wheel set built, to ride during the months that it isn't summer-ish. I hate to call them a "training" wheel set because to me, that implies that there is no fun factor. I hope to enjoy riding them, but plan to ride them hard, often, and in bad weather.

My first question is about rim choice - I'm a stout lad and want something with a decent footprint (but not super wide), with 32 holes, and aluminum. I've been looking at the HED Belgium C2's (I have had 2 sets and like them, but they are pricey), as well as the H+Son Archetypes. I have no experience with the H+Son stuff.

Between the Belgiums and the Archetypes, which offer the best bang for the buck? Which would be the most durable?

I'm also looking for good quality hubs with either steel or Ti free hub bodies (Shimano Dura Ace or Ultegra, White Industries are on my radar screen). I'm tired of digging cassette cogs out of aluminum free hub bodies (ala Chris King or my Campy Record hubs with Shimano conversion free hub). Any other ideas to consider, in the way of brainstorming? Phil Wood tops my wish list but cost rules them out.

Thanks -

Mike
Old 09-16-2019, 10:01 PM

I have experience with both archetypes and TB14s, I’d recommend the latter for a winter / toss-around training wheel set. Sure they’re a little heavy, but they look great and can take a lot of abuse. No experience with Belgiums.

For quality per dollar on hubs, you can’t beat 6800s.
Old 09-16-2019, 10:18 PM

I have lots of experience with both. If built up well, both are pretty stout options. The Archtypes are going to be the heavier option of the two. I've built up both and they both build up well, Archtypes not quite as nice as the Belgiums though. The Belgiums definitely come into round, true and dish with ease, but if you're having them built you don't need to really be too concerned about that. I prefer the Belgiums, but then again, they are probably close to twice the price of the Archtypes. Have someone reliable build them for you and you'll be ok regardless of which hoop you chose in the end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-17-2019, 07:37 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserk87 View Post
Hi folks -

I've got the itch to have a custom wheel set built, to ride during the months that it isn't summer-ish. I hate to call them a "training" wheel set because to me, that implies that there is no fun factor. I hope to enjoy riding them, but plan to ride them hard, often, and in bad weather.

My first question is about rim choice - I'm a stout lad and want something with a decent footprint (but not super wide), with 32 holes, and aluminum. I've been looking at the HED Belgium C2's (I have had 2 sets and like them, but they are pricey), as well as the H+Son Archetypes. I have no experience with the H+Son stuff.

Between the Belgiums and the Archetypes, which offer the best bang for the buck? Which would be the most durable?

I'm also looking for good quality hubs with either steel or Ti free hub bodies (Shimano Dura Ace or Ultegra, White Industries are on my radar screen). I'm tired of digging cassette cogs out of aluminum free hub bodies (ala Chris King or my Campy Record hubs with Shimano conversion free hub). Any other ideas to consider, in the way of brainstorming? Phil Wood tops my wish list but cost rules them out.

Thanks -

Mike
Best bang for the buck at that rim weight range. DT460. Archetypes are excellent rims as well as are Velocity Quill. HED are nice...and expensive, as you have noted.

Hard to beat Ultegra for the wheels you want to build.'training' wheels. DA are nice but pricey..as are WI..

If you need somebody to build them, let me know.

cp51errc@gmail.com
Old 09-17-2019, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Best bang for the buck at that rim weight range. DT460. Archetypes are excellent rims as well as are Velocity Quill. HED are nice...and expensive, as you have noted.

Hard to beat Ultegra for the wheels you want to build.'training' wheels. DA are nice but pricey..as are WI..

If you need somebody to build them, let me know.

cp51errc@gmail.com
Yes - thanks Peter. I am planning on reaching out to you if I do have a set built. I'm not sure what direction I'm going to go on this yet. If I come across a good deal on something used, I may pull the trigger. Just depends.
Old 09-17-2019, 11:56 AM

Just got a set of a slightly different rims, but a similar build: DT411s with Aerolite spokes to White Industries hubs. Have been great wheels so far.

I don't think you could go wrong with any of those rim options. Had a TB14 set of H Plus Son's for awhile that rode well, and a set of Belgiums I absolutely beat on for years.
Old 09-17-2019, 12:02 PM

Boyd Altamont Lites are what I have that fit this bill exactly.

I just got a second set and they've been great. 20mm internal width, which is a nice width for anything from 23mm tires on up to 28+ and a nice build quality on Boyd's own hubs, which are well designed for flange geometry.

Hard to beat these for the price.

https://boydcycling.com/collections/...loy-rear-wheel
Old 09-17-2019, 01:05 PM

I'm a big fan of HED rims and have a few set that I ride now. I don't think that you can go wrong with the HED's. A bit pricey but my wheel builder loves to build with them as he says they require the least amount of trueing after built.
The boyd's always looked like a great option as well but I still go back to the HED rims.
Old 09-17-2019, 01:25 PM
Steel..what else??

The Belgium C2 w/ Dura-Ace combination is pretty solid.
I have 2 sets and no regrets.
Old 09-17-2019, 01:26 PM
That guy..

you can get 5800 32h x open pro's for about $150/ wheel. i'd have to check and see where i saw this.

i cant imagine youd be able to find something that could match that in terms of quality and durability.

open pros are reliable rims. easy to swap tires out if youre out and get a flat.
5800 hubs are no bs hubs.
32h gives you a robust build to ensure you can ride them hard.

Last edited by mktng; 09-17-2019 at 01:30 PM.
Old 09-17-2019, 02:54 PM

you know what I think already but I'll say it again:

DA's/WI with HEDs or H+ son.

I had forgotten about the Boyds but have a set of the altamont lite w/ DT350s (disc version) that I've beat on off road and they've been great. I imagine that if you build these up with DAs/WI or the boyd hubs (assuming the FH body is steel or ti) you'd be happy as well.
Old 09-17-2019, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mktng View Post
you can get 5800 32h x open pro's for about $150/ wheel. i'd have to check and see where i saw this.

i cant imagine youd be able to find something that could match that in terms of quality and durability.

open pros are reliable rims. easy to swap tires out if youre out and get a flat.
5800 hubs are no bs hubs.
32h gives you a robust build to ensure you can ride them hard.
I gave up on Open Pro's years ago. Had too much trouble keeping them true. I had multiple sets with Open Pro's (or Reflex, as they were called then) and they all came out of true - a lot.
Old 09-17-2019, 05:03 PM

Old Potatoe built me a set of wheels with hubs (Record) I sent him. He used DT511's which are 24mm wide and tubeless compatible. Very nice and durable. I'm quite the hefty lad as well.
Old 09-17-2019, 05:29 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
Old Potatoe built me a set of wheels with hubs (Record) I sent him. He used DT511's which are 24mm wide and tubeless compatible. Very nice and durable. I'm quite the hefty lad as well.
Thanks Bill, BIG fan of DT rims.
Old 09-17-2019, 06:02 PM

Yeah... The R460 is excellent... Having had and built all three... I choose the DT...