Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-17-2019, 09:15 PM

Both these are super tiny (when you toss the case and carry loose) and great:
Hex ratchet (good for shop and ride)- https://amzn.to/308fUAf
Slightly smaller - https://amzn.to/304qg3o

Last edited by jfranci3; 09-17-2019 at 09:23 PM.
Old 09-17-2019, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfranci3 View Post
Both these are super tiny (when you toss the case) and great:
Hex ratchet (good for shop and ride)- https://amzn.to/308fUAf
Slightly smaller - https://amzn.to/304qg3o
the blackburn one bits wobbled in when in the tool and were really hard to remove IMO.
Old 09-17-2019, 09:29 PM

I haven't had an issue, but you do need to get the bit in past the retaining thing. It's not shop grade, but waaaayyyyyy better than a folding tool because you can change the length, it doesn't take the cube space of a folding tool, and doesn't had the girth of the folding tools when you're using it.
Old 09-17-2019, 09:56 PM
hoolered

county comm- versatool pro

I'm throwing in this suggestion. I have a set and it feels great, very well thought out. Feels less like a "band-aid" multitool that's "just good enough" and more like a proper hand tool. It's a bit bulky if you're going to travel with the whole deal.
https://countycomm.com/collections/v...pro-driver-set

Old 09-18-2019, 06:21 AM

Good luck tightening a bottle cage bolt with that.
Old 09-18-2019, 09:52 AM

The one thing to keep in mind with bit based tools, bit quality is EVERYTHING. There's some pretty slick looking tools out there that come with garbage bits that are undersized, soft or both. If you get sucked into one of these tools, get some decent bits from a company like Wera, Whia or another name brand source. Avoid the garbage you see in the bulk bins at the hardware store.

Steels are Alloys too!
Old 09-18-2019, 09:57 AM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriarQuade View Post
The one thing to keep in mind with bit based tools, bit quality is EVERYTHING. There's some pretty slick looking tools out there that come with garbage bits that are undersized, soft or both. If you get sucked into one of these tools, get some decent bits from a company like Wera, Whia or another name brand source. Avoid the garbage you see in the bulk bins at the hardware store.
Agree. The PBSwiss tool bits are super nice, I just wish they did not rust :/
Old 09-18-2019, 10:17 AM

I've had Fix it Sticks on my go fast bike for 4 seasons now.

On that bike I carry:

Fix It Sticks In their little carrier pouch
Separate Park chain tool
Tube
A Pedros tire lever (my favorite)
A Mavic Tire lever (it's a crap tire lever but it has the proprietary wrench for their spoke nipples on it which I need in case of emergency)
Patch kit that is in a little plastic box
Spare chain pin goes in the little plastic box with the patch kit

Anyway I really like the Fix It Sticks in use, and they haven't shown any sign of corrosion yet. However that bike doesn't get the worst weather use. The fix it sticks little carrier pouch provides extra protection against the weather, and on that bike I have a bontrager seat bag that has a waterproof lining + sealed zipper, so that seat bag is much better at protecting tools than any bag I've ever owned prior.

Pretty much everything else I've ever owned before has rusted. My Gravel bike has a Crank Brothers multi-tool in it and that's super rusted. My MTB has a Topeak multi-tool in it and that's also very rusted.
Old 09-18-2019, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriarQuade View Post
Bull****. For shop tools that you’re going to use everyday and not lose, sure fine. For bits you’re using occasionally and going to lose? Wwhhhhaaaatt? Most bits are fine. Maybe a high grade 2 and 2.5mm just because they are so small, break, and the screws tend to fail.

High quality or low quality bit, that AL chainring bolt is still going to fail, that pedal screw is still messed up, and most bolts aren’t made to to the quality your fancy hex bit is. Lots of decent bits are better than quality.
Old 09-18-2019, 11:06 AM

Other than SRAM my experience has been the bike fasteners are pretty good quality and you're not going to chew them up.

I don't go crazy trying to get really nice tools but junk tools are a waste of time IMO. Those bits from Harbor Freight and stuff like that... what is the point? They save so little money and they fall apart and you have to deal with it every time you use the tool, and in the worst case they destroy/damage something. Over time you end up with N sets of the junky ones and you spent more over time than one set of nice ones that would have lasted forever.

I see people I know leave a super cheap multi-bit screwdriver somewhere handy and the nice tools are in the toolbox in the garage or something. So you've bought nice tools, and now 99% of the time you use the junk one that is left in the house.. it seems so pointless and backwards.

I don't use that many bit-based tools, certainly not for cycling.. I think this is more critical for your core set of allen wrenches that get used constantly. But when I want to use my Torque wrench(es) I have a set of Craftsman allen bits that are high quality and have lasted a very long time already with no wear and no destruction of any parts. They were not expensive in the grand scheme of things.

To be clear I am not advocating for anyone to go buy silly stuff like Effetto Mariposa stuff that is 5X overpriced... but stuff like Pedros & Park tools are worth what they cost.