Builder's Spotlight The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Image Gallery > Custom Bikes

Old 03-20-2016, 12:18 PM

I checked into ti seatpost collars, and specifically the ControlTech one. I was trying to stay as much "Made in USA" as possible on this build, where practical. The ControlTech, Ti Designs, and Carver ones (three main ti collars I found) are all made overseas. So ended up just grabbing a Thomson one.
Old 03-21-2016, 09:24 AM

I think staying with the Thomson seat collar in black is a good choice since it complements the black headset, saddle and cockpit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzxc View Post
I checked into ti seatpost collars, and specifically the ControlTech one. I was trying to stay as much "Made in USA" as possible on this build, where practical. The ControlTech, Ti Designs, and Carver ones (three main ti collars I found) are all made overseas. So ended up just grabbing a Thomson one.
Old 03-24-2016, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzxc View Post
Toronto Cycles have 31.8mm ti sp collars, but I do not know where they are made. The owner, Tom, is very responsive to emails.

Halfway down the page, on the left side.

http://www.torontocycles.com/Selling...st_Clamps.html

The Thomson is fine, though.
Old 03-24-2016, 10:09 AM

Thanks this ended up being a fortuitous post. Put on the Thomson silver and it's just wayyyy too silver and doesn't look good with the titanium. A darker silver or brushed look might be okay, but definitely don't like it as is. I still think titanium would look better than black though so will likely be going with titanium in the near future.

Turns out Control Tech doesn't make one in 31.8. I'll check into this link, thanks!
Old 03-24-2016, 05:59 PM

Hold on, there, Speedy, for just one sec!

I posted that link last night, because I was looking for some bolts, saw that, and remembered your post.

However, I just read it more carefully: it looks extremely thin; I really dislike those "weight saving" cut-outs on binders; and it takes only an M4 bolt. Over-torque a fraction and that thing snaps. Under-torque, and your seatpost slips. Good M5 is minimum for me for a binder bolt, M6 better.

Those are all big negatives to me. I think someone already pointed out that ti is quite ductile. A seatpost collar is not a great place to use ti, really. I have had excellent luck with Campa asymmetrical; tune "Schr...whatever that thing is called"; and Thomson. All alu, all clean, all strong.

I would avoid this product, really.

Ideally, Mosaic (if they can) would make you a 31.8 ti collar using a ti band of their own, welded to these ti Paragon binders or similar (these are what Moots et al, use for their stems).

http://www.paragonmachineworks.com/c...&category=B009

It would look great, very simple, elegant, and perfectly match the frame...the problem is that over there I see your arm, and over there your leg, I bet. Worth a try with them, tough. If not, perhaps they know of a source.

Another option: alu, 31.8, titan-colored, $26.00. FWB don't sell crap.

http://fairwheelbikes.com/woodman-tc...atpost-collar/

Old 03-24-2016, 08:34 PM

Nice #baaw!!
Old 03-24-2016, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvaneaton View Post
Nice #baaw!!
With all due respect...please...
Old 03-26-2016, 09:19 AM

So I guess this thread is becoming a record of the changes I make to get the bike to exactly where I want it. Tried the 7x9 hardware and didn't work with my Moots seatpost. I think I could have made it work, but wouldn't have felt safe. The 7x9 Specialized hardware doesn't seat quite properly into the Moots post. So had to choose between the Cambium C13 and the seatpost. Cambium lost, so sticking with the current Selle "comfort" saddle on there, which is quite comfortable. OTOH will have a nearly-new Cambium C13 saddle for sale soon...

Changes since last time: Silver Thomson seatpost clamp (WOOdman Ti Deathgrip clamp on the way from Fairwheel as we speak, we'll see how that looks), and popped my race wheels on for an upcoming crit and road race. I forgot how much I liked the sound of aero wheels while riding! Lighting on the silver clamp looks good here, but in the "wrong" light there is a stark contrast between the darker titanium frame and the shinier silver clamp. I'm thinking the WOOdman clamp will match in all lights.

Old 03-26-2016, 10:06 AM

looking super clean in race shoes!
Old 03-26-2016, 02:50 PM

Looking good. I hope the Woodman clamp works for you.
Old 03-27-2016, 09:44 AM

Mosaic RT-2 - Handmade Titanium from Boulder, CO

Looking good. I just put on a Salsa clamp in pewter. Decent match.
Old 03-27-2016, 06:20 PM

So I spent a few minutes refinishing the stem with metal polish today. Probably took about 30 mins total. Used Blue Magic cream metal polish picked up at the auto parts store. Started by hand and wasn't making too much progress, so pulled out the buffing wheel on the dremel. Used that for probably 2 minutes and it removed all the marring and imperfections from the used stem and shined it up nicely but left an uneven finish due to the small width of the buffing wheel. For the next 20 minutes I used a flannel rag and the polish to even out the finish. It's still not 100% up close, but I'll fix that later after I grab a larger buffing wheel for the dremel or get some more patience for hand polishing. I think it looks 100% better. I try to take pics in the same spot and position for this reason, so its easier to see changes like this. Before it was kind of a grey, now it's a shiny titanium like the seatpost. Just thought I would share.

Before (pic posted earlier in thread):

After:

Old 03-27-2016, 09:00 PM

Nice work DZXM. Very fine looking bike and you did well with the stem.

In the other thread there were several recommendations to send the stem to Mosaic for a matching finish. That's what I did with my Moots post -- sent it to Steve for a wonderful match for mi ti Hampsten.

Looks like you made a great match with your efforts -- well done.
Old 03-27-2016, 09:59 PM

Thanks for the compliments! Yes, I was giving serious thought to sending the stem in. Prices were reasonable, but the turnaround time was like two weeks. I figured that as long as I was planning to send it in if it came to that, I might as well give it a go myself. Worst case would have been that they would refinish a slightly weirdly mutilated-finish versus the normally aged finish. The gamble paid off and I got the finish I wanted for 30 minutes of elbow grease rather than two weeks of being stemless.
Old 03-28-2016, 12:28 AM

Thumbs up

This bike is how Rome was built...better every day!