Builder's Spotlight The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Image Gallery > Custom Bikes

Old 03-06-2016, 08:58 AM

Thanks for the comments/compliments all. I'm going to stick with the current aesthetic as it appeals to me, with maybe that saddle change I mentioned.

To answer ride questions: It really is the best ride I've ever had. I've owned many different bikes and frame materials. Most recently found myself pretty unhappy with the lifeless feeling of my Venge. This beats anything I've ever ridden for sure! It's very stiff but not jarring over bumps or rough road. Very happy with titanium, or maybe it's the wheels, who knows.

And hat tip to eBaumann for selling me the brakes and stem for way cheaper than new!
Old 03-06-2016, 03:24 PM

Is the frame a custom or "stock" with minor modifications?
If you have it post the build sheet!
Lastly, how long was the wait from signoff to delivery?

Barcheck was on my custom short list but I went back to carbon instead of TI
(Firefly was my other TI choice)
Old 03-06-2016, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeatnik View Post
Houston, are you being facetious?
Please, I love the Thomson seatpost and stems. I would gone with that configuration if a 0 set back post fitted me. There's something really raw about its look which I dig. Love the logo on this bike too. It looks super cool

Last edited by joosttx; 03-06-2016 at 04:53 PM.
Old 03-19-2016, 09:05 AM

Added a Moots Open Road stem and Moots seatpost. Currently on a Selle Carbonio until I get the rail hardware for my Cambium C13. Here's a quick pic from yesterday of the new stem:

Last edited by dzxc; 03-19-2016 at 09:21 AM.
Old 03-19-2016, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzxc View Post
Added a Moots Open Road stem and Moots seatpost. Currently on a Selle Carbonio until I get the rail hardware for my Cambium C13. Here's a quick pic from yesterday of the new stem:

Nice! That headset is screaming for a banana cap
Old 03-19-2016, 08:03 PM

Haha the Paceline headset cap you're talking about? Maybe so, maybe so...
Old 03-19-2016, 08:11 PM

New pic, now with more titanium! Brooks Cambium C13 and maybe a silver Thomson seatpost clamp are next. The straight post had the saddle pushed all the way back and the Enve setback had the opposite effect. But the smaller setback of the Moots post (relative to the Enve) places the clamp right near the middle of the seatpost rail, which is much more aesthetically pleasing I think.

The Moots stem doesn't seem to match the frame as well as the Moots seatpost. Any suggestions on fixing this or polishing it or something?

Old 03-19-2016, 09:39 PM
v a n i l l a

this is just great all around - from the original incarnation to the current

when the thomson X2 was on there, it looked like the steerer was cut flush to the top.

thomson has perhaps the shortest stack of all stems, 36mm or so. now you have a moots, where the stack is much taller, like 45mm or so.

If it really was the case that the thomson was flush, using the taller stack stem with a short steerer means you dont have all the clamping friction you should.

others can chime in, but in the absence of more details, this may not be a 'safe" setup.
Old 03-19-2016, 09:57 PM

Thanks for the compliments! Switching between the straight post and the new post, I really think the ti post was a major improvement. The stem I would say may or may not be an improvement on its own, but with the ti post is overall a good thing. Very happy with the new setup, and I think it will look even better with a silver Thomson seatpost clamp.

To address your concern/question: iirc the x2 has a 37mm stack height and the x4 has a 42mm. I know it's something like that and certainly a 5mm difference. You're correct that the old stem was flush, but it was an x4 with the larger stack height, not an x2. The Moots is 45mm, slightly taller than the x4. I would say there's no more than 4 or 5mm of gap between the top cap and top of the steerer tube.

So not as extreme as it would have been with the x2, but still exists. Anyone know if this is a problem? I had a stem one time that labeled the minimum insertion of the steerer into the fork and it was below the top of the stem, so I figured it would be okay with a little gap. Please correct me if I'm wrong, before my stem snaps off my steerer tube mid ride preferably....
Old 03-19-2016, 10:34 PM
v a n i l l a

Obviously you have to have some gap
say 2mm in a perfect never changing world

But the world isn't perfect and assuming the right torque I personally would be fine with 4-5. I was thinking that a X2 and you had 9mm.

Thanks for viewing my comment as constructive
Old 03-20-2016, 01:46 AM

Good eye, pdmtong.

X4 have a stack of 40.6mm, so you added 4.4mm to that. Not a ton.
I would not think it a concern, especially given the more centered position of the Moots bolts versus the X4.

Anyway, the bike is even more gorgeous now, with the new stem/post. Really very nice. I'm liking the little red bits more and more. They are subtle but they pop, and remind me of Corot's minimal use of red in the vast majority of his paintings for precisely that reason.

Old 03-20-2016, 05:56 AM

Like said above. I may be worried if one of the stem bolts were located above or in line with the steerer edge. Moots are in the middle of the stack height and way below the edge from the looks of it so id ride it with no concerns. You can make sure you have the bunge mounted high up on the steerer for extra support or peace of mind if only in your head.
Old 03-20-2016, 06:41 AM

Exactly, you got it.

With the Moots stem, the top bolt is ~18mm from the top of the steerer clamp, and the bottom bolt ~29mm.
Subtracting 4.5mm of gap, the top bolt still is "biting" on 13.5mm (1/2") of steerer, which is fine. I would not worry.

If dzxc is particularly concerned he could swap out his expander (I don't know what he is using now) and install the Colnago expander for even more support and reassurance, as it is 90mm long, much longer than most expanders.

Last edited by cadence90; 03-20-2016 at 06:51 AM.
Old 03-20-2016, 08:31 AM

Thanks for the input everyone. Out of an abundance of caution and before my group ride this morning, I went ahead and pulled off my top cap. The top of the steerer is just slightly more than 4mm below the top of the stem's top. And below the steerer top is the top bolt of the Moots stem, as predicted. There's plenty of steerer for the stem to bite. I guess ideally there would be a little less gap or even no gap with a 5mm spacer on top between the stem and top cap. But after getting eyes on it, I feel no trepidation in riding it as is.

Also, using the Enve plug (with my LBS's top cap), which is a beefy unit, so wouldn't necessarily feel more safe with the Colnago expander. But good to know such a thing exists!

And, as always, I follow proper torque specs with every critical component on my bike.
Old 03-20-2016, 10:14 AM

Very nice build, dzxc. I bet this Ti Mania clamp would look good on the bike, and it weights only 20 grams. I used it on my previous ti bike, a Lynskey. For my new Moots, I decided to do the black-ti contrasting theme, not unlike that of your bike before the Moots seatpost/stem.