Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-17-2020, 09:51 PM

WAY off topic. Auckland off-topic, in fact.

An unanticipated trip to NZ is in store for our family this July. The dates, for the most part, are fixed...we realize it will be the winter while we are down (otherwise, a mountain bike day or two would have been in the agenda!). We are spending a couple of nights in Auckland upon arrival from British Columbia (hurray for direct flights) before we base ourselves in Hamilton and later hit Queenstown. I'd love to hear what the PLers may have to share on a few points:

1. We are deciding between staying at the Cordis Auckland (near the museum and park) or at a hotel right down by the wharf. If we stay at the Cordis, the War Memorial museum and park are easily walkable. If we are by the wharf, the Maritime Museum, and the downtown area are a bit closer.

2. We have heard that Milford Sound is a "must-do". We are lucky enough to live in BC (on Vancouver Island) and get to enjoy mountains and oceans where we are. This may be a ridiculous question, but given that, is MS still a must-do?

Any other suggestions from Kiwis or from former visitors to Auckland?

Thanks!
Old 02-17-2020, 11:12 PM

I visited NZ about a decade ago; a little more, in fact.

I won't comment on Aukland since I didn't spend much time there, but I will say that I chose not to do the Milford Sound trek. I did a lot of other treks while I was there, but the rigidity and prescribed nature of the Milford combined with its popularity turned me off from it -- especially in comparison to what I'm used to backpacking in Western North America. I've no doubt that it's an amazing hike, and I might well do it if I returned to NZ, but it wasn't the highest on my personal list. Add to that the fact that you'll be there in rainy season when the Milford gets buckets of rain even in normal conditions, and I might recommend against it.

If you're curious, I wrote up some of my travels, and you can find them linked here: http://markhespenheide.com/sabbatical/sabbatical.htm; the sections in NZ are about halfway down the page. I only mention this because it might give you some ideas for different treks, if you like.

Enjoy it, though! I'd love to go back, but as a teacher I just can't fit a long enough visit in during the right time of year...
Old 02-17-2020, 11:56 PM
Peter Pan Oath adherent

We were there for a part of a trip to Australia and were in Auckland and also Queenstown.

The museum inAuckland was a really impressive facility, especially the Maori cultural items.

Try to get down to the glow worm caves at Waitimo - very cool.

We stayed downtown but wished we were near the harbor. Buses were fairly easy to use to get around.

In Queenstown take the steamship out to the sheep station and watch the demonstrations on herding (with dogs) and shearing. Plan it so you stay for dinner or High Tea. Well worth the time spent.

BK

Age is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter.
Old 02-18-2020, 03:36 PM

Thanks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhespenheide View Post
I visited NZ about a decade ago; a little more, in fact.

I won't comment on Aukland since I didn't spend much time there, but I will say that I chose not to do the Milford Sound trek. I did a lot of other treks while I was there, but the rigidity and prescribed nature of the Milford combined with its popularity turned me off from it -- especially in comparison to what I'm used to backpacking in Western North America. I've no doubt that it's an amazing hike, and I might well do it if I returned to NZ, but it wasn't the highest on my personal list. Add to that the fact that you'll be there in rainy season when the Milford gets buckets of rain even in normal conditions, and I might recommend against it.

If you're curious, I wrote up some of my travels, and you can find them linked here: http://markhespenheide.com/sabbatical/sabbatical.htm; the sections in NZ are about halfway down the page. I only mention this because it might give you some ideas for different treks, if you like.

Enjoy it, though! I'd love to go back, but as a teacher I just can't fit a long enough visit in during the right time of year...
Your sabbatical blog is pretty great! Thanks for the info--the buckets of rain in July may be enough to have us bypass MS. The MS trip for us from our base in Queenstown is pretty pricey, so we may look elsewhere for "things to do" on the South Island!

Thanks!
Old 02-18-2020, 03:37 PM

Great recommendation...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce K View Post
We were there for a part of a trip to Australia and were in Auckland and also Queenstown.

The museum inAuckland was a really impressive facility, especially the Maori cultural items.

Try to get down to the glow worm caves at Waitimo - very cool.

We stayed downtown but wished we were near the harbor. Buses were fairly easy to use to get around.

In Queenstown take the steamship out to the sheep station and watch the demonstrations on herding (with dogs) and shearing. Plan it so you stay for dinner or High Tea. Well worth the time spent.

BK
We definitely have the Waitomo caves and Hobbiton on our "to do list" for the Auckland / Hamilton stay. As for the Queenstown suggestion--that tour looks pretty amazing...and right up the alley for the kid! I was leaning towards staying near the harbour instead of downtown--your suggestion has tipped us in that direction as well!

Thanks!
Old 02-18-2020, 04:46 PM

A good friend of mine lives in Auckland and I spent a month there last year visiting.

When in Auckland take the ferry over to Rangitoto, it's an easy hike up to the top and a really neat experience all and all. There's a few lava caves not far off the main path up that were really interesting. I second the glow worm caves and hobbiton as well once you get down! All of that is close to Rotorua which has lots of outdoor activity to offer. The Luge carts and Zorbing are pretty well known.

Even in winter the weather in Auckland is good, I wouldn't rule out a day or two on the bike.

When you are based out of Hamilton and if you and your party are active off the bike, the Tongariro Crossing hike outside of Lake Taupo is one of the coolest things I've ever done. It's like being on another planet. Taupo is a really neat little town as well would most definitely recommend.

Last edited by MrCannonCam; 02-18-2020 at 05:07 PM.
Old 02-18-2020, 05:44 PM

If you are downtown, it is still easy to get to the Museum, either by train from Britomart to Parnell; or one of the Link buses.
I recommend downloading the Auckland Transport app, though the Maps app on my iphone looks like it will do a decent job of getting you onto buses and trains.

As well as Rangitoto, which might be pretty bleak in July, there are a couple of volcanic cones not far from the city centre, Maungawhau (Mt Eden), and Maungakiekie (One Tree Hill).
Both are easily accessible by bus, though you'll need to walk to get to the top.
Old 02-18-2020, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4racer View Post
Your sabbatical blog is pretty great! Thanks for the info--the buckets of rain in July may be enough to have us bypass MS. The MS trip for us from our base in Queenstown is pretty pricey, so we may look elsewhere for "things to do" on the South Island!

Thanks!
Thank you!

If you're set on heading to QTown and want to do some backpacking/"tramping", I can heartily recommend the Routeburn track or the Routeburn/Caples combination. I don't know what crossing the pass would be like in their winter, though.

You do also have to re-imagine what backpacking is like. In NZ, it's a much more social activity since you're all grouped together in a hut at the end of the day (and the weather is generally bad enough that you do want to go in the huts rather than fend for yourself; even in summer, it can get nasty fast in the mountains.) If you can get past that, it can be a lot of fun.