Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-17-2020, 09:51 PM

+1 for Maddox. If anyone has a Paramount, Prologue, Circuit etc from that era taking up space, I'll gladly take them off your hands.
Those are dream rides. The only knock is they put the water bottle bosses too low.
Back to the not topic:
1. it was ok for Lemond to wear the stripes?
2. and maybe ok for Schwinn to have them?
Old 02-17-2020, 10:38 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
This isn't quite accurate According to the Chequamegon Festival History web page, Lemond did not race the event until 1990 (when he was no longer World Road Champion). The photo on this page from the 1990 event shows him in his team jersey, which is not a World Champion jersey, although it does have the rainbow stripes on the collar (as he was allowed to wear as a former champion):

Although NORBA has just come under the UCI umbrella in 1988, the Chequamegon 40 was not a NORBA (or UCI) sanctioned event, so the UCI rules on the rainbow stripes didn't apply.
I will have to look into it. But I remember reading about it. Greg and I spoke about it once before also.
Old 02-19-2020, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Maddox View Post
I rode for a Schwinn shop in the late 80s, and am happy to have several examples of the Paramounts and other lightweight road bikes from this period, PLUS a Ned Overend-signature edition Paramountain.

We were lucky to be in a town where our shop was well-known and to be able to sell Schwinns, even amidst the rising tide of triathlon-specific bikes like Centurion. Several of our local riders rode Prologues during that time...even one on the funny bike edition.

I look back at those years of 1987-1989 as the best years for Paramount. The Waterford frames were, and ARE, still top-notch examples of a marque that had seen greater popularity but which was clearly waning in the onslaught of Specialized and other brands. My Schwinns are still loved and ridden...even the 1987 50th Anniversary edition Paramount. I even just spent a bundle having my 1988 Premis repainted....an amount far exceeding its actual worth.

While we've gained an awful lot, these are still things we've lost.
Rode a custom built 72 Paramount with Mike Walden's Michigan Wolverines into the early 80's, regrettable mistake selling that bike. However just purchased an 88 Prologue frame for next to nothing, $80.00 and was looking for some background history as to where the Schwinn Prologue world championship claim originated.

The newly purchased frame needs paint and thinking I am going to go for the iconic Schwinn red, white and blue paint scheme. Still hold lots of memories and love for Schwinn's, worth the paint money and then some.

Oh, and thanks for the history lessons, those that spoke up!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WheatiesSide.jpg (48.7 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg PlRsJ7C.jpg (110.3 KB, 34 views)

Last edited by m_sasso; 02-19-2020 at 05:38 AM.