Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-10-2019, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
Yeah, I'd pick a Festka, Crumpton, or Holland as my "ultimate" carbon bike - but I'd still be curious to ride a Dogma even if I had one of those three..
Throw Gaulzetti on the list. The Pavaix and Aerotack are choice.
Old 06-10-2019, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
Throw Gaulzetti on the list. The Pavaix and Aerotack are choice.
Indeed.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Old 06-10-2019, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I'd pick a Festka, Crumpton, or Holland as my "ultimate" carbon bike - but I'd still be curious to ride a Dogma even if I had one of those three..
I hear ya. I want to ride the bianchi that roglic rides too! And a canyon or factor. And a colnago...
Old 06-10-2019, 12:41 PM

they're good bikes, better than most production carbon race bikes. their geometry is nothing extraordinary (ps: dario did it), but it's slightly more fun to drive than the standard crit-ish bikes most manufacturers default to. their vast array of sizes is what is quite appealing, and makes it so you can find the bike for you, as long as you're in the median. they're also heavy. and extraordinarily overpriced. and then you're one of THOSE people. i've never loved their aesthetic. they do ride well, in most cases, and have a much more natural feeling than your run-of-the mill supersix/tarmac/O2/tcr/whatever.

the f8 is quite a bit jumpier than the 65.1/dogma 2/think2 but also has a wooden feel (bora tubs make it better!), f10 is a little softer than f8 as mentioned but not as smoove as the think2 era, haven't ridden the f12. have put at least 500km on the previous mentioned bikes (each). one of my 57.5cm d2 team frames came in at 1400g on the scale.

i wouldn't worry about the "tension" marketing speak. it can mean a different number of things, from an engineering perspective. and i'm not an engineer, composites or otherwise, so i won't bring it up.

ps and btw: the k/classics series and the standard dogma have different geometry.

Last edited by Heisenberg; 06-10-2019 at 12:45 PM.
Old 06-10-2019, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
they're good bikes, better than most production carbon race bikes. their geometry is nothing extraordinary (ps: dario did it), but it's slightly more fun to drive than the standard crit-ish bikes most manufacturers default to. their vast array of sizes is what is quite appealing, and makes it so you can find the bike for you, as long as you're in the median. they're also heavy. and extraordinarily overpriced. and then you're one of THOSE people. i've never loved their aesthetic. they do ride well, in most cases, and have a much more natural feeling than your run-of-the mill supersix/tarmac/O2/tcr/whatever.

the f8 is quite a bit jumpier than the 65.1/dogma 2/think2 but also has a wooden feel (bora tubs make it better!), f10 is a little softer than f8 as mentioned but not as smoove as the think2 era, haven't ridden the f12. have put at least 500km on the previous mentioned bikes (each). one of my 57.5cm d2 team frames came in at 1400g on the scale.

i wouldn't worry about the "tension" marketing speak. it can mean a different number of things, from an engineering perspective. and i'm not an engineer, composites or otherwise, so i won't bring it up.

ps and btw: the k/classics series and the standard dogma have different geometry.
Great info.

I did not think my size 54 F8 was heavy, it came in at 996 grams with hangers.

Old 06-10-2019, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlC View Post
Great info.

I did not think my size 54 F8 was heavy, it came in at 996 grams with hangers.

yes, it is still quite light in the grand scheme (and the F8 was a big jump when it came to weight), but relative to its competition, it's a porker. you can build a titanium bike for 100g more (and $1000 less) that rides better. sorry, editorializing.

also, you lucked out with the IG F8 - they hardly had any paint! the italians love to slather it on...especially on the white variants. but, that's good place to get a secondhand pinarello that has been well-maintained.

Last edited by Heisenberg; 06-10-2019 at 01:27 PM.
Old 06-10-2019, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post

It´s amazing how many good things on roadbikes have Dario´s touch. He knew what mattered.
Otoh i am sure the huge Pinarello logos are not a Dario idea.
Old 06-10-2019, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmrt View Post

but then after returning the dogma, i took a bmc slr 01 team machine out for the test ride..
Geometry-wise, the Team Machine and the Dogma are somewhat different.
Old 06-10-2019, 08:51 PM
aka RAEKWON

what about a F10 that can fit 44s?

https://www.instagram.com/p/ByjIadiAp2V/

this is just ridiculous but I love it.
Old 06-10-2019, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
what about a F10 that can fit 44s?

https://www.instagram.com/p/ByjIadiAp2V/

this is just ridiculous but I love it.
Good grief.

Old 06-11-2019, 10:44 AM
#RYFB

Dan, I'm sure there are plenty of test ride options for you…here's another. If you happen to find yourself in Santa Monica you can rent a Dogma from Helen's Cycles. I think it's well over $100 for the day and they'll put a hold charge on your credit card for the full value of the bike, but at least you could get it out of your system (or not, depending on your experience).

Alternatively you could just take SoCalSteve's out for a spin.
Old 06-11-2019, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by one60 View Post
Since you are in PDX area, why not check in with Elemental Cycles in Redmond and ask if they have a demo in your size? IIRC, they charge $100 for an 24 hour rental. You could even bring along your own saddle and wheelset to help with the comparison?
I rented a Colnago C60 from Element Cycles back when the C60 was still new and I happened to be in Redmond for business. 60 miles into a 65 mile test ride, I did something stupid and found myself on the ground. My first reaction of course was to make sure the bike was OK, and luckily it was, other than some ripped bar tape (they had taken a rather large deposit on my credit card for the rental). I didn't realize until I noticed people staring at me that my knee was swollen like a grapefruit and bleeding profusely...

I was going to rent a Pinarello F8 the next day but the incident spooked me too much so I rented something cheap instead :-)
Old 06-11-2019, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Good grief.

Seriously,

What the hell is going on there?

Is this even real?
Old 06-11-2019, 11:53 AM

I have had an opportunity arise to purchase a F8 Disc module in 57.5 at a very attractive price - hard part if I can't track down a decent deal on a Record 12 disc group (or H11), so I'm not sure I'll make a go for it. Plus, all the reasons above that it's hard for me to take that on right now..

Appreciate the ideas on demo'ing a Dogma. I wish there was somewhere in Sacramento that had them. I guess I could try to get over to AC: https://abovecategorycycling.com/pro...inarello-demos - but that's a lot to ask on a business trip given the traffic situation.
Old 06-11-2019, 12:51 PM
#RYFB

Quote:
I guess I could try to get over to AC: https://abovecategorycycling.com/pro...inarello-demos - but that's a lot to ask on a business trip given the traffic situation.
Word of advice: don't rely on their email/web form if you decide to do that, give them a call instead (ask me how I know).