Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-17-2020, 01:19 PM

Creaky shoe solutions?

I have some older Giro Code MTB shoes. They're about 5 or 6 years old. I run them without the stock inserts with green Superfeet. SPD cleats. The soles are Easton carbon. They fit me like a glove. I use platforms probably about 80 to 90% of the time so although these shoes have some years of use, they do not have a ton of mileage.

They've always been squeaky/creaky. In the beginning I didn't think much of it and figured they needed to break in. The problem continued though despite cleat tweaking, pedal swapping, lubing the cleat bolts; you name it. I looked at Giro's website and I am indeed well past the warranty period (and yeah, probably should have looked into this a while ago).

I've decided that the creaking is from the torquing of the sole. If I point my toes inward and ride pigeon-toed for a few revolutions the noise stops but that's not a knee-friendly solution. Anyone encounter this? Any potential solutions? Thanks!
Old 02-17-2020, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevemikesteve View Post
I have some older Giro Code MTB shoes. They're about 5 or 6 years old. I run them without the stock inserts with green Superfeet. SPD cleats. The soles are Easton carbon. They fit me like a glove. I use platforms probably about 80 to 90% of the time so although these shoes have some years of use, they do not have a ton of mileage.

They've always been squeaky/creaky. In the beginning I didn't think much of it and figured they needed to break in. The problem continued though despite cleat tweaking, pedal swapping, lubing the cleat bolts; you name it. I looked at Giro's website and I am indeed well past the warranty period (and yeah, probably should have looked into this a while ago).

I've decided that the creaking is from the torquing of the sole. If I point my toes inward and ride pigeon-toed for a few revolutions the noise stops but that's not a knee-friendly solution. Anyone encounter this? Any potential solutions? Thanks!
Try a piece of plastic between the Superfeet insole and shoe. I've had this same problem with some insoles and this has solved it.
Old 02-17-2020, 02:46 PM

Creak?

What exactly is creaking? You did not provide enough detail?
Is it creaking when clipped in? Or all of the time?

I have found that the interface sucks with almost every mtb pedal- So when the foot moves, the sole of the shoe rocks against the pedal.
Tends to make noise in higher torque situations.
Sometimes new cleats help, but it usually requires finding a pedal that mates well with the shoe.

For a while I was using Crank Bros. pedals- you can use their tread adaptors to create a better fit between the shoe and pedal.
Recently, I have been using HT pedals- They have a very tight interface between the shoe and pedal. No rock or slop. Feels like a road pedal.
But they are tight enough where they might be too tight for really technical riding.
Old 02-17-2020, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony View Post
Try a piece of plastic between the Superfeet insole and shoe. I've had this same problem with some insoles and this has solved it.
Just to clarify, have you cut some sort of piece of plastic to match the shape and length of the insole? What kind of plactic? I will give it a shot...
Old 02-17-2020, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John H. View Post
What exactly is creaking? You did not provide enough detail?
Is it creaking when clipped in? Or all of the time?
Hey John, I am not 100% certain about exactly what is creaking but mentioned toward the end of my post I've decided it's the torquing/twisting of the stiff sole of the shoe that's making the noise. It is creaking when clipped in...
Old 02-17-2020, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevemikesteve View Post
Just to clarify, have you cut some sort of piece of plastic to match the shape and length of the insole? What kind of plactic? I will give it a shot...
Yes, a thick garbage/leaf bag type plastic cut slightly larger than the insole. This will fix it, its your insole rubbing the inside of the shoe.
Old 02-17-2020, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony View Post
Yes, a thick garbage/leaf bag type plastic cut slightly larger than the insole. This will fix it, its your insole rubbing the inside of the shoe.
Excellent. Fingers crossed...
Old 02-18-2020, 10:57 AM

I had a similar issue with lake shoes.

Solved, in my case, by installing metal plates to protect the carbon sole from the parts of the pedal around the cleat that directly contacted the sole.
Old 02-18-2020, 11:07 AM

I think Crank Bros. makes those metal protectors.

SPP
Old 02-18-2020, 11:20 AM

I chased squeaks/creaks in my MTB shoes for several years before I determined it was the cleat/pedal interface. The shoes are Specialized BG Pros (carbon soles) and the pedals are Shimano SPD M780s. Once I started using a dry lube (in my case, Boeshield) on the areas where the cleats and pedals met, the noises went away. Specifically, I lubed the front/back of the cleats and the associated cleat engagement areas on the top and bottom of the pedals.

Greg
Old 03-23-2020, 07:33 PM

I put Phil's Waterproof Grease on my cleat and on pedal (in the places where the pedal interacts with the cleat).

For me, squeaking sometimes happens with new cleats. After an application or two of Phil's, I typically don't have to apply it again.

Sounds like yours is more chronic, Phil's still might be worth a try.