Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-16-2024, 07:29 AM

I just finished A Guide to the Good Life by William Irvine. It's about applying Stoic philosophy to your life so you can have a better life. It's in three parts. Part 1 is about the Stoic philosophers and can be skipped if you only want action steps. Parts 2 and 3 are where the gold lies.

I think the book would resonate with the majority of members here. Highly recommended!
Old 03-16-2024, 03:20 PM
#RYFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
Charles, we can hang.
Chandler is still the top. There's a two volume set which has everything he ever published and a bunch of his letters too.

I'm a big fan of Dennis Lehane and Tana French.
I know Dennis Lehane but not Tana French, will investigate.

I particularly enjoyed reading Chandler's short stories, many of which he repurposed in pieces in his novels, so it's fun to see how he did that.

I recently (re-)read all of Ross McDonald's novels. They're good though I found a sameness to them, as well as a thread of misogyny that I eventually found tiresome (and a bit predictable).
Old 03-16-2024, 03:31 PM

One of the nice things about retiring is the time to read more.

Recent fiction reading for me has been:

- Wandering Stars by Tommy Orange. I read There There and this is sort of a sequel or at least follows on from it.

- Act of Oblivion by Harris. Interesting historical fiction about the fate of the 'regicides' - the Roundheads who authorized the killing of Charles 1 and how two of them were pursued to the then colonies of New Haven and Massachusetts.

- Also by Harris - the first two books in the trilogy on Cicero.

- Currently reading Beyond Measure. It's an interesting history of metrology but really needed better editing to cut it down.

Two disparate books with interesting discussion on determinism: La Societe du Peleton by Cofidis pro Guillaume Martin (who has a degree in philosophy) and The Rigor of Angels by Eggington. The latter weaves through the work and lives of Heisenberg, Kant, and Borges.

Jan G.