Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-29-2019, 12:08 PM

Recommendations for a shallow 26.0 silver handlebar?

The advantage of not riding a bike for a while is that when you come back to it, you have perspective on the setup--thus need for new bars for my CSi.

My favorites on other bikes are Deda Newton shallows, non-anatomic--but I don't see them around in silver, even on eBay. I have a pair of the Speciales in hand--seem decent, but quite a bit heavier than the Newtons.

Any thoughts on choices for replacement? (Looks like Ritchey has dropped 26.0; I see Soma Highway One (but these are about the same weight as the Deda Speciales).

One thing I do see on eBay are Nittos--but I have no experience with them, so find it hard to figure out what the variables are by model number.

Generally, I ride mostly on the hoods now, so if the bar is set up for a good position there, a classic bend bar feels too deep when I am on the drops. All bikes are running some version of Campy 10, so the second criteria is for a bar that gives a nice transition from flats to hoods.

One 'hen's teeth' choice would be a Deda Dark Metal Polish Shallow Newton in 26.0 (I think those were made?)
Old 09-29-2019, 12:42 PM

I've got a pair of these and like them a lot. They have a completely modern shape that plays well with modern levers but they look very traditional.

dave

https://www.retro-gression.com/colle...151f-handlebar
Old 09-29-2019, 12:57 PM

Soma Highway one.
Old 09-29-2019, 01:23 PM

Velo Orange

https://velo-orange.com/collections/...llow-handlebar
Old 09-29-2019, 01:52 PM

You're looking for Deda 215 Shallows. (Dark Metal Polish bars were in 31.8 only.) A Torino, Italy seller currently has three sets in 42 for sale on ebay; he's incorrectly describing them - at least the bars pictured - as anatomic.
Old 09-29-2019, 02:26 PM

Cinelli ‘64’s come in 26.0mm and have a very shallow drop. Their reach is just slightly shorter than the Nitto drops if that’s a concern. I have a silver 44cm bar that I’d be happy to part with if you want to PM me.
Old 09-29-2019, 03:06 PM
Everything is connected

https://global.bluelug.com/fairweath...ver-11132.html
Old 09-29-2019, 03:51 PM

Comfortable reach and drop, full width selection, Nitto quality with old school styling, generally lots of availability, good price, Nitto M151 is your bar! https://www.retro-gression.com/colle...151f-handlebar

Old 09-29-2019, 09:49 PM

With the bars recommended, can people vouch that they fit through stems that don't use removable faceplates?

I picked up a set of the Soma Highway 1 bars and couldn't get them through the stem around the transition from the flats to the tops with a 26.0mm stem. I ended up using an old Cinelli 26.4mm stem and adding a shim, so it wasn't the end of the world, but it would be nicer not to have to.
Old 09-29-2019, 09:53 PM

I have the Nitto and if one is patient and clever you can get a Cinelli 1A stem over it....just barely but it works.

dave
Old 09-29-2019, 10:51 PM

My Cinelli '64s are currently mounted into a Nitto Pearl stem. I didn't pull them through personally but I assume someone did!
Old 09-30-2019, 04:53 AM

I use Nitto M106 bars with Campag 10 speed ergos; for me they work well together and I find the ergo to shifter transition creates several comfortable hand positions.

They’re available in widths from 38cm up to 42cm. Black or silver. 26mm clamp area or 31.7mm.
Old 09-30-2019, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhespenheide View Post
With the bars recommended, can people vouch that they fit through stems that don't use removable faceplates?

I picked up a set of the Soma Highway 1 bars and couldn't get them through the stem around the transition from the flats to the tops with a 26.0mm stem. I ended up using an old Cinelli 26.4mm stem and adding a shim, so it wasn't the end of the world, but it would be nicer not to have to.
I've gotten the 26.0 Soma Highway One bars to work with two different models of vintage 3ttt stems, which actually have a clamp diameter of 25.8.

It wasn't possible with the stems on the bike. With both stem and bars free to move around, I was able to find an angle that worked to get the bars through. Had to pry open the stem clamp a bit with a plastic tire lever for one stem. For the other (3ttt status), the stem clamp can be opened up with the bolt and a coin to block the inner hole.
Old 09-30-2019, 10:06 AM

I've used the Somas on a couple different stems and it's been tricky, but doable. Really like those bars, too, even if they aren't super sexy.
Old 09-30-2019, 10:14 AM

Deda Speciale, but then you already mentioned them.