Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-22-2017, 09:35 PM

carbon rim patch

This carbon rim was discovered to have what appears to be a patch or repair.
Rim was being used in a tubeless configuration, but stopped holding air pressure.
Any chance of saving the rim, or is it something that absolutely should not be attempted?
Thanks.

RearWheel.jpg
Old 02-22-2017, 10:08 PM

Welcome to the forum. Rims are sometimes able to be repaired, whether it is advisable or cost effective would depend on a qualified carbon repair person's advice. Looks like whoever repaired it the first time may have (arguably) structurally repaired it, but obviously not completely functionally.

You can give Drew a shout at cyclocarbon and get his opinion. I had him repair a frame a little shile back and he did a nice job, he also repairs rims. There are other carbon repair places that will give you an initial assessment if you email the picture. Best of luck. If you are confident the previous repair was structurally sound, you could just use some silicone to seal that side hole and see if it holds air.

Last edited by cmbicycles; 02-22-2017 at 10:11 PM.
Old 02-23-2017, 04:48 AM

-

Last edited by Mackers; 03-28-2018 at 09:31 AM.
Old 02-23-2017, 06:56 AM

Replacing the rim would be proper albeit expensive. Next best suggestion to have it repaired professionally maybe less expensive but not exactly cheap, cheap, I'm a birdie cheap! So....how's about carefully crafting and spatulating some good ole JB weld in there? I dunno, never done it but I now if you rough up the surface with some sandpaper and spread the weld it will get right sticky to it and is sandable too form. I know once you get the tubeless tire on there after said repair you can add some kind of puncture sealant which most do regardless and Voila. It might just work and be a cheaper and easier repair.

Looks like the rear wheel so at least if it were to suddenly lose all air pressure on a ride it's not the same as the front wheel washing out on you. I personally would give it a try.

I like the tube idea stated below as well but this is assuming you don't care to run tubeless anymore. I incidentally have a pair of Shimano first generation tubeless scandium rim dura ace wheels that I have always run with clinchers and tubes. All because the lbs I bought em from never had the proprietary valve stems and simply recommend clinchers from the start. They spin up great as such, I guess it's a preferance regarding air pressures, road feel.

Last edited by gemship; 02-23-2017 at 07:17 AM.
Old 02-23-2017, 07:12 AM

Just use a tube.
Old 02-23-2017, 07:19 AM

-

Last edited by Mackers; 03-28-2018 at 09:31 AM.

Tags
carbon, rim, wheel