Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-03-2021, 04:52 PM

Crank Bros vs SPD's

Hey gang, looking for feedback comparing Eggbeaters or Candies vs SPD's. I've registered for a number of longer gravel races next year, with a couple likely having sections being off the bike, therefore road pedals would be a no go. I have SPD's but they just don't seem to play well with my pedal stroke after 2-3 hours. Wondering how Crank Bros float and feel compared to SPD's and even road pedals. Thanks, G
Old 12-03-2021, 05:46 PM

Eggbeater float is a lot freer than spd float
Old 12-03-2021, 05:54 PM
DELETE ACCNT

float on eggbeaters is much more free. You can flip the cleat around to tighten up the float.

I used them for CX but I run eggbeaters on everything. Someone was selling custom Ti spindles so I have that upgrade on one of my road bikes. Pretty light.
*These are the Ti spindles I got
https://titaniumspindles.com/Home_Page.html

btw, if you use road shoes, they do have a Look adapter for Eggbeaters.

Last edited by pasadena; 12-03-2021 at 06:05 PM.
Old 12-03-2021, 06:21 PM
Two wheels good

The Crank Bros are pretty notorious for breaking among our local MTBers. Shimano SPDs are probably the most reliable component there is on a modern bike.
Old 12-03-2021, 06:26 PM

I liked the fact that I could rebuild Crank Bros pedals, but I had some failures on rides that included snapping a "wing" and a spindle. SPDs, I just installed and occasionally clean and lube them, and that's it. I really don't know what a worn-out XT or XTR pedal looks like.
Old 12-03-2021, 07:09 PM

Yes, float with Eggbeaters is better than SPDs. But I'd be happy to send you a picture of the large jug of broken EBs that I have. I liked how light they were and the good engagement in sloppy and/or snowy conditions, but they just weren't reliable enough for off-road use. I broke multiple wings, the bearings/bushings didn't last, and I even sheared a spindle and had to ride back down hill on the nub. Shimano SPDs? Bulletproof. Never need maintenance.
Old 12-03-2021, 07:14 PM
n - 1

I used SPD’s exclusively for 10+ years on my mountain bike. Switched to EB a couple years ago and then onto Time Atac. I much prefer EB to Shimano but Time is my favorite. I’ve sold all my SPD pedals now.
Old 12-03-2021, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avalonracing View Post
The Crank Bros are pretty notorious for breaking among our local MTBers. Shimano SPDs are probably the most reliable component there is on a modern bike.
I hated the Egg Beaters. I tried them for a season about 10 years ago and broke two pedals. I also had to take a Dremel to the soles of my shoes to make room for the cleat so it would engage and disengage correctly. SPDs have always been hassle free and reliable.
Old 12-03-2021, 07:58 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

I haven't broken any, but find SPD much more deterministic getting into. Not a big float fan, so not plus there for me.

I will cry the day my last pair of 747s die. Talk about reliable and durable.

So far they only look dead, but clip in and out same as day one...
Old 12-03-2021, 08:33 PM

Thank you for input. I heard about some durability issues on Crank Bros, did that include Ti options as well for some failures? My SPD's have been very reliable, work fine, but I've not been in them for 5+ hours but one time, and it was a challenge being comfortable.
Old 12-03-2021, 08:39 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by GParkes View Post
Thank you for input. I heard about some durability issues on Crank Bros, did that include Ti options as well for some failures? My SPD's have been very reliable, work fine, but I've not been in them for 5+ hours but one time, and it was a challenge being comfortable.
My problems with SPD were always due to too flexy a sole and hot spots. So stiff soles I learned early mandatory. For me especially if standing pushing taller gear up stuff.

Came from MTB/SPD to road and just figured SPD would be fine. But turned out more I stood, more feet problems. Thus for MTB and or JRA/Commute rolling SPD fine, and stiffer soles fine climbing. But never as good as big platform road shoes for lone road rides for me.

Will add, running Candy cleats without the shoe shield plates is a non started for me.

https://www.crankbrothers.com/products/shoe-shields

Last edited by robt57; 12-03-2021 at 08:42 PM.
Old 12-03-2021, 09:54 PM

I am not sure what type of riding you guys are doing but I have been using egg beaters on my mountain bike for at least 10 years, maybe 15, in all of that time I did indeed break a pedal.... once.
I broke one of the wings, but being that it's a 4 sided pedal I was still able to finish my ride without much of a problem.
Just as a fyi, I ride rocky/chunky trails and have had plenty of pedal stricks on said rocks.

I built up a gravel bike last year and put some egg beaters on those as well and so far so good, I have done some long rides on the gravel bike (about 5 hours or so) and didnt get any hot spots or anything like that despite the small platform.

I dont doubt that that they are less durable then the spd's but I am not sure how you guys are breaking them seemingly on a regular basis.
Old 12-04-2021, 05:59 AM

I like the egg beaters and used them for years. This was ten plus years ago. They chewed through my soles and bearings and cleats. I understand they are maybe a little better now.

I switched to XT and XTR and it was one of those moments where it’s like…why didn’t I do this years ago? The cleats last, xtr bearings can take serious abuse over years, and the platform feels more stable.
Old 12-04-2021, 07:15 AM

Egg beaters are attractive at first, easy to get into, good float, and light.

My very unscientific guess is that somewhere north of 50% of the people that try Egg Beaters eventually go back to SPDs or other more reliable pedal system.

At best, plan on frequent rebuilds - some people don't mind this. My experience was much worse. I broke 3 Egg Beaters in 6 months (had to do one rebuild in that time) and swore them off forever. Modes of failure included:

Busted wing - It was sub freezing out and I think their ****ty metal just got too brittle
Busted Ti spindle - I weight 160 pounds and have only broken 1 chain in my 20 years on bikes, so not putting out tons of torque
Entire wing pulling off the spindle mid ride - can't remember exactly what broke but I was done.

Might try Time ATAC if SPD float is not to your liking
Old 12-04-2021, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaSS View Post
Egg beaters are attractive at first, easy to get into, good float, and light.

My very unscientific guess is that somewhere north of 50% of the people that try Egg Beaters eventually go back to SPDs or other more reliable pedal system.

At best, plan on frequent rebuilds - some people don't mind this. My experience was much worse. I broke 3 Egg Beaters in 6 months (had to do one rebuild in that time) and swore them off forever. Modes of failure included:

Busted wing - It was sub freezing out and I think their ****ty metal just got too brittle
Busted Ti spindle - I weight 160 pounds and have only broken 1 chain in my 20 years on bikes, so not putting out tons of torque
Entire wing pulling off the spindle mid ride - can't remember exactly what broke but I was done.

Might try Time ATAC if SPD float is not to your liking
My PNW commute had a short but very steep rise where I'd stand to pedal. I snapped a wing and barely missed a crotch shot. I could still ride them home, I just had to roll my foot across the remaining wings to engage. That was the end for my CB use.