Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-26-2021, 09:51 AM

Paul was the driving force song writing wise. You see it in the first episode. Paul was always working on songs. John had not tried to write anything or bring any ideas to the group. Just adding a few words here and there. Glyn Johns helped shape the songs a lot. George was just starting to write and his insecurity. Was a big factor in his leaving at the end of the first episode.
It’s showed how each member had a part to play and how unique the blend of their talents where.
Old 11-26-2021, 11:04 AM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewiser View Post
George was just starting to write and his insecurity. Was a big factor in his leaving at the end of the first episode.
Did you catch the deep dig, I think it was John said ? George had left, they called him to come back, and it was said if he doen't come back, maybe they'll get Eric Clapton.

Given 'Lala' situation, thats pretty cutging and nasty really..

Last edited by robt57; 11-26-2021 at 11:07 AM.
Old 11-26-2021, 11:11 AM
Cranky!

Quote:
Originally Posted by robt57 View Post
thats pretty cutging and nasty really..
Even after applying the scouse discount, John had a nasty streak a mile wide.
Old 11-26-2021, 11:14 AM

In the recent RR HOF ceremony when Billy Preston was inducted, George said they did not get along during the sessions but when 'guest' musicians showed up it was all happy/friendly/productive. And, they all wanted guest musicians as they knew it would be beneficial for their cooperation and music.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robt57 View Post
Did you catch the deep dig, I think it was John said ? George had left, they called him to come back, and it was said if he doen't come back, maybe they'll get Eric Clapton.

Given 'Lala' situation, thats pretty cutging and nasty really..
Old 11-26-2021, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superbowlpats View Post
Mostly through the first episode. Really enjoying it. I've never really researched the Beatles so I was surprised to hear them talk about how much of an impact Brian Epstein's death was.
^ This! Paul's comments on Epstein were great.
Background noise, sarcasm, and ramblings, rendering into deep and intimate portraits. Really enjoying this so far.
Old 12-01-2021, 08:04 PM

In my queue, might as well get some use from my subscription
Old 12-02-2021, 12:15 AM

As a lifelong musician, I have to say it was truly transcending experience. Can’t recommend it enough.
Old 12-02-2021, 07:28 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by robin3mj View Post
Hawkeye drops this week too if you like the Marvel stuff.

I’m looking forward to both, but the Beatles more so.
Watched the first 3...seems like it doesn't know who's it's audience is..Marvel fans, young adults, somebody else. Kate Bishop is kinda annoying...
Old 12-02-2021, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewiser View Post
Paul was the driving force song writing wise. You see it in the first episode. Paul was always working on songs. John had not tried to write anything or bring any ideas to the group. Just adding a few words here and there. Glyn Johns helped shape the songs a lot. George was just starting to write and his insecurity. Was a big factor in his leaving at the end of the first episode.
It’s showed how each member had a part to play and how unique the blend of their talents where.
I just started watching it, I kind of delayed over worry over bad language but now I'm just watching it with my kid. Paul seems to drop F-bombs but there's enough of an accent it's easy to miss.

My guitar teacher raved and raved about it this week, the last few months I've been playing/learning lots of Beatles songs.

I have been fed a steady diet of "George Harrison is/was massively underrated". He had already been writing a LOT of music by this period, he had written several albums worth and what you're supposedly seeing in this video is his frustration at constantly being put down by McCartney and Lennon as they dominated all the songwriting in the Beatles. Ringo seemed to be able to deal with it far better than George.

An awful lot of George's solos and parts in Beatles songs are underrated IMO. And I think there was a collective "Woah we should have given him more of a chance" once All Things must Pass was released. Killer Album. The Song All Things Must pass for example was apparently rejected by Paul & John.

Not sure who I think did better after they broke up but for me it's definitely not John Lennon, I like McCartney & Harrison's solo work best.

I've been playing Something the last couple days. McCartney's chord progressions/harmonies are always brilliant. He has this insane thing where you can play an an incredibly simple version of the rhythm and yet the changes are so iconic it's completely obvious what song it is. Let it Be is the same thing.

Last edited by benb; 12-02-2021 at 08:44 AM.
Old 12-02-2021, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
I've been playing Something the last couple days. McCartney's chord progressions/harmonies are always brilliant. He has this insane thing where you can play an an incredibly simple version of the rhythm and yet the changes are so iconic it's completely obvious what song it is. Let it Be is the same thing.
I'm not sure this is what you're talking about........because I don't know what I'm talking about. Here's Something from the "Concert for George." It starts with Paul solo on ukulele. Then builds/transitions to the sound known on Abby Road.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xl-BNTeJXjw
Old 12-02-2021, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulh View Post
I'm not sure this is what you're talking about........because I don't know what I'm talking about. Here's Something from the "Concert for George." It starts with Paul solo on ukulele. Then builds/transitions to the sound known on Abby Road.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xl-BNTeJXjw
God, that is awful. How could McCartney play that with a straight face?
Old 12-02-2021, 11:02 AM

Wow that is crazy.. he's singing it in a different key I think, which is mind boggling as he's so much older and yet it sounds like he's singing in a higher register than when he was young. That's pretty epic for an older singer.

But he's monkeying with the chords on the Ukelele in a way that hides what was impressive about the piano chords. (I've been roughly playing the piano chords translated over to guitar.)

He's just a master of doing things like line cliches and other tricks where the base chord stays the same but it gets modified so that the high notes in the chord mimic the vocal melody. They tend to be easy to play but actually thinking them up in the first place seems mystical to me I guess and you can even see in the documentary, he just pulls them out of thin air without even thinking about it.

I am forgetting but the song does something like this just in the opener:

C -> C maj 7 -> C7 -> F -> D7 -> G -> Ami -> Ami maj7 -> Ami7 -> F -> Eb -> G

Not that much pop stuff does that I guess and tracks the vocals so perfectly, and he seemingly did that in song after song after song and does it almost unconsciously without having to think about the music theory that makes it work.

FWIW I don't really feel like I know what I'm talking about either.

That performance does get really amazing when the band comes in. Clapton might as well be George Harrison resurrected as well, he plays it perfectly.

Last edited by benb; 12-02-2021 at 11:06 AM.
Old 12-02-2021, 01:19 PM

"Something" by the Beatles, right? That is what you're talking about? There isn't a piano in that song. Organ, yes, but no piano. That song is slow, mournful, full of longing, and all guitars. McCartney? He's playing it on a ukulele like Jingle Bells, fer cryin' out loud. I'm sure George was rolling in his grave when he heard that. Couldn't listen to more than 30 seconds of that video, so I have no idea what the band did after that. Worst opening I could imagine for that song.

Quote: "I've been playing Something the last couple days. McCartney's chord progressions/harmonies are always brilliant. He has this insane thing where you can play an an incredibly simple version of the rhythm and yet the changes are so iconic it's completely obvious what song it is. Let it Be is the same thing."

McCartney's chord progressions? You mean Harrison's, the guy who actually wrote that song? (Still not getting much songwriting credit, apparently...)

Last edited by tv_vt; 12-02-2021 at 01:22 PM.
Old 12-02-2021, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wernerherzogsid View Post
I enjoy his body of work.
Pretty sure he peaked with Dead Alive, but that's just my opinion
Old 12-02-2021, 02:44 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Yoko's blood curdling singing voice has the same effect on both me and my wife as ever... A lot of mute and jumps past.

She missed her calling to do voice over work for horror tracks...

https://youtu.be/LPh5yYp9-PU?t=31