Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-08-2021, 11:15 AM

I never thought that people actually rode with the chain grease from the factory. Just feeling the chain would let you know it is sticky as heck and not good for anything except moisture prevention.
Old 11-08-2021, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seramount View Post
I never remove the factory stuff, but do wipe the chain thoroughly before installing.

ride until it gets a little noisy (usually ~300 miles), then treat with my fave lube Chain-L.

a quick wipe after each ride and I'm good to go for 750 miles before a re-lube is needed.

some people really enjoy fiddly chain maint procedures, but they aren't worth the time for me. a high-quality KMC unit is $35 and lasts about a year (7500 miles).
This is what I do except that I re-lube after a few hundred miles (probably because of the lube that I use which is Boeshield T-9).

I prefer to use Wipperman-Connex chains on my Campy 10 drivetrains. I decided to ask Wipperman for their recommendations with regard to a fresh, new chain from the factory. Their product manager, Marcel Stiens, replied to me directly and told me that I can ride on the factory fresh chain for a few hundred miles without hesitation, before my usual chain maintenance routine kicks in. I've had no problems with this procedure.
Old 11-08-2021, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
The goop that comes on 'factory' chains is more of a preservative and rust inhibitor than lubricant. These all arrive via ship, some spending a LONG time in a salty environment..AND if not removed, does collect all sorts of dirt and grime. 'Kinda' like cosmoline.

So..Sure, I WD-40 a new chain, let dry and light lube.

Oh so many threads about bicycle chain lube. Ya know, not the chains closing the cargo doors of the space shuttle...bicycle chain.

(And yes, I know the space shuttle cargo bay doors aren't driven by a chain but..bicycle. )

For most of us punters, clean chain and just about any lubricant, wether it be 'bicycle' or not, will work getting' ya down the road.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustychisel View Post
Re your thread title. Factory grease is EXCEPTIONALLY GOOD for its purpose. (as explained by Old Potato)
Look, I'm with you both here, but the thing is - as noted in Adam's report, both Shimano and KMC have been on the offensive around stating their grease is not something you should remove from a chain.

I hadn't thought much about it (but had heard Adam trumpeting on about it previously) until in the thread I posted about the Silca SS drip lube, where someone cited Shimano's tech guy stating the grease shouldn't be removed.

It's pretty intuitive to anyone that has handled a new chain that the factory grease on a chain really isn't suited to anything except maybe the most meticulously clean indoor track, the data obviously backs it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyJones View Post
I suppose if you’re running a $200 chain, intensive maintenance may payoff. But for Ultegra level… is all the hassle worth it?

(I do minimal maintenance- a quick wipe and lube- but probably replace more often than most)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee View Post
People love to overthink things

especially when it's their passion.

I just replaced the chain on one bike and broke out a new chain on a Emonda ALR build. I'll ride both new chains for a bit, then in the process of cleaning them, I'll shoot some lube on there.

M
Again, I get it, easy to write this all off as overthinking something but when I'm most of us are running chainrings that are US150-300 and cassettes that are US80-200... not to mention chain cost... a little bit of consideration around chain lube can seriously extend the life of those components.

And that's ignoring how difficult it can be to simply source parts right now.

Honestly I don't see the problem in challenging your preconceived notions of what is appropriate in terms of drivetrain maintenance, but maybe I've been drinking the kool aid and just enjoy not having to replace stuff too often.

What I've found is a lot of people aren't checking their chain wear so the whole discussion becomes a bit abstract. If you check your chain and replace at 0.5, even good chains are not that expensive - if you can get your hands on one - and you're not sacrificing drivetrain.

If you don't ride the k's I do understand all of this is just noise.

Last edited by jimoots; 11-08-2021 at 04:42 PM.
Old 11-08-2021, 04:40 PM

Josh you are my Hero

Loving the podcasts and thoughts on aero stuff

Your Tour de France TT podcast was really informative
Old 11-08-2021, 04:46 PM

So, where does this net out as to whether we should even still "break in" a new chain with the factory grease still on it (which is to say, riding the new chain for 100 or thereabout miles to get all of the interior burrs or doodads that might be within, smoothed over)?
Old 11-08-2021, 04:47 PM

pretty sure you could get someone to change their political party or religion before you could talk them into a different chain maintenance procedure...

if the people that make chains say leave their goop on for a few miles, that's good enough for me.

but there will probably be some conspiracy-type that says they do that just so your chain wears out prematurely and you'll have to buy another sooner...lol.
Old 11-08-2021, 04:48 PM

Um, the chart in post 26 shows that the factory grease+NFS outperforms NFS (by a small margin with no error bars given)
Old 11-08-2021, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikej View Post
So by this chart I am getting that one application of synergistic lube will provide for 25000 kms of drivetrain protection? When does the extrapolation begin? For the record I am a synergistic user, it’s quiet, not real dirty, but no way does it last longer than 250 - 300 miles. I even use it on our mountain bikes in non- rainy conditions- it last 35 -45 miles as that’s as long as our rides / races are.

No that's not how the chart should be read.

To get 25,000km out of a SS treated chain, you would be riding in dry weather and reapplying at appropriate intervals.

If you are riding in bad weather it would be somewhere between 5000-25000km.

The general gist of Adam's testing is he puts the chains through blocks of riding - as indicated by the columns - measuring wear. The test stops when they hit the chain hits the wear limit.

25,000km is an extrapolation of the first no contamination block, whereas 5,452 is an extrapolation of the first five blocks. It depends what conditions you ride in and how often you clean and lube your chain as to where you land between those two figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoosterCogset View Post
So, where does this net out as to whether we should even still "break in" a new chain with the factory grease still on it (which is to say, riding the new chain for 100 or thereabout miles to get all of the interior burrs or doodads that might be within, smoothed over)?
IMO for the great unwashed you are better off stripping the lube off asap just because it keeps all the crap off your drivetrain.

Getting it off ASAP minimises chain contamination too, reduces the amount of solvent or whatever degreasing process you use, etc etc etc.

Quote:
pretty sure you could get someone to change their political party or religion before you could talk them into a different chain maintenance procedure...
It's a surprisingly polarising subject. I've only really paid attention to it over the last year as making bike stuff last longer has come into sharp focus for me.

Quote:
if the people that make chains say leave their goop on for a few miles, that's good enough for me.

but there will probably be some conspiracy-type that says they do that just so your chain wears out prematurely and you'll have to buy another sooner...lol.
I honestly don't think that's a conspiracy theory. For starters it's not wearing out chains but entire drivetrains for the average punter who doesn't check their chain stretch. Making that last longer is in nobody's interest in the bike industry.

A local shop owner privately told me he wasn't interested in stocking wax based lubes as he makes decent coin out of consumables and servicing.

Last edited by jimoots; 11-08-2021 at 04:56 PM.
Old 11-08-2021, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Thx, that made my day.
Old 11-08-2021, 05:23 PM

I've never had issue with factory lubes attracting too much dirt, but I do wipe the chain off after installation (as well as my hands!).

And I've always enjoyed the generous first service interval length afforded by the factory lubes, which do vary by chain brand and by chain vintage it seems.

Also I've never noticed much lube residue on my sprockets after the time for a first lubing comes around, at which time the solvent-rich lubes that I prefer mostly take over by washing the factory lube out and onto the terrycloth shop rag.

So it just seems like much ado about nothing, and the factory lube is just their best attempt at making the end-user feel that their chain works properly, quietly and so on, so as to make a best impression.

I've serviced bikes that had yet to have their original chain serviced at all, and the factory lube did surprisingly well at not letting the chain become chirpy. This after perhaps one to two years and some hundreds of miles.
This being the situation that the factory must have seen as the best argument for the relatively long-interval lube being applied to their new chains. I never saw and can't really imagine the factory lube causing chain suck or any other problem.

The preservative effect would seem to apply much more to the chain having being placed into service than to preserving it for shipping (it having been a loooong time since I've seen premium chains or freewheels arriving in brown paper). The heavy lube no doubt is good/best for preventing rust on bikes left outside and/or put away wet, which is what happens often enough in the real world.

But yeah, I can see where some factory lubes might seem a bit too thick in viscosity for racing use.
Old 11-08-2021, 05:43 PM

I wonder if the majority of us aren't riding in the Blocks 2, 4, and 6 in ZFC testing, and that's why most half decent lubes are getting us pretty good life? I don't ride my Nagasawa, Firefly, or Strong intentionally in the rain, I ride the Bob Jackson because it has fenders and that makes a yuge difference in how much schmutz ends up on the drivetrain. And even that bike I'm not going out in pouring rain.

My MTB sees the worst conditions, plus, I run a 26T chainring so it has the maximum tension in the chain of all my bikes, so highest wear potential. I've owned it six years and it was two years old (though not used much) when I bought it. It has a SRAM 1x11 XX1 drivetrain, the one with the cassette that has the first ten cogs machined from one piece of steel, and the 42T cog is aluminum and riveted on. This is an almost $400 cassette retail and street price is about $330. I'm motivated to keep it going as long as possible!

I have about 4,000 miles on the bike in 6 years. I'm on the second XX1 chain and the cassette is original, except for the large Al cog which has been replaced with an aftermarket one. Second chain gets a wipe and Squirt after each ride and isn't close to the 0.5mm wear point.

That seems like acceptable performance to me. The first 4 oz. bottle of Squirt I had lasted me just shy of two years and that's applying it to seven bikes getting 5,700 miles last year and over 4,100 miles this year so far. I do try to get the factory grease off the chains to begin with, but not to the extent some of the posters to these two recent threads go to. I can see that if you race/ride in the mud as someone posted, or are racing and are going for the last watt, the full monte ritual makes sense.
Old 11-08-2021, 05:45 PM
I need you cool.

Quote:

Why else would the people who sell chains tell you to leave it on???!!

Put me in the "a clean chain and any lube is good" camp.....
Old 11-08-2021, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy-moots View Post
No that's not how the chart should be read.

To get 25,000km out of a SS treated chain, you would be riding in dry weather and reapplying at appropriate intervals.

If you are riding in bad weather it would be somewhere between 5000-25000km.

The general gist of Adam's testing is he puts the chains through blocks of riding - as indicated by the columns - measuring wear. The test stops when they hit the chain hits the wear limit.

25,000km is an extrapolation of the first no contamination block, whereas 5,452 is an extrapolation of the first five blocks. It depends what conditions you ride in and how often you clean and lube your chain as to where you land between those two figures.
How many kms does a block equal? What I don't understand is that they obviously couldn't reapply any factory lube. So if an initial factory lube lasts say about 150 miles, is the whole chain's lifetime extrapolated from just running the chain for this equivalent distance? Or is it that for none of their lube tests they don't reapply any lube?
Old 11-08-2021, 06:48 PM

[QUOTE

Put me in the "a clean chain and any lube is good" camp.....[/QUOTE]

Me too.
Old 11-08-2021, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoosterCogset View Post
How many kms does a block equal? What I don't understand is that they obviously couldn't reapply any factory lube. So if an initial factory lube lasts say about 150 miles, is the whole chain's lifetime extrapolated from just running the chain for this equivalent distance? Or is it that for none of their lube tests they don't reapply any lube?
Each block is 1000km. Lube is reapplied at specific intervals.

Full test protocol here: https://zerofrictioncycling.com.au/w...-Protocol-.pdf

With the factory lube it looks like there were two tests, one with the factory lube only (which ended at 1000km as in the charts) and one topped up with NFS every ~300km which as Josh noted apparently helped to clear some of the contamination.

It is also worth noting this is an open source protocol, i.e. Adam has designed it and made it all very public. As Josh noted here and in other threads he has full confidence in the repeatability.

As is the inclination around these parts it is tempting not actually read or understand and then attempt to poke holes in it, but Adam is one of the 'good guys' and is really striving for some semblance of industry agreement on stuff like friction and wear tests. What that nets out is better information for customer, less dogma and a better riding experience for everyone.

Last edited by jimoots; 11-08-2021 at 07:05 PM.